Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

You thought the cinematography was good? After seeing the trailer, I kept thinking how digital photography does not suit a period gangster film like this.

Well that stood out for me from the trailers and was likely one of the reasons I expected the movie to be different from other period gangster films. Visually, it all looks good and works. While there are a number of older films that show old Los Angeles as it was then, it was pretty cool to see how the set designers recreated/captured old Los Angeles for a contemporary film--the street cars, LA City Hall defining the skyline, Hoolywood'land', etc. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who emulates films like Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit for (among many other reasons) presenting the former essence of their settings in a lens that is innovative and current rather than antique and reminiscent.
  • Like 1

One of my friends from college saw an advanced screening. He is a fan of Gangster movies like The Departed and American Gangster but hated this one. He told me it gave away the best part from the trailer. Additionally, he said that Sean Penn was terrible in it.

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11

Gangster Squad1:00 PM showing at AMC Puente Hillssmall crowd-10% full (give or take)Trailers:The Last Stand---seen this too many timesHansel & Gretel---some chuckles, probably not good onesOblivion---looks pretty good, might catch it in IMAXThe Call---wow WWE studios might have finally made a good filmA Good Day to DIe Hard---looks like fun, saw it's going to be in IMAXMovie:I enjoyed it. The dialogue was corny but they wanted to give you that feeling of being in the 1940's. Noticed Fleischer used some of the same slow motion for action like in Zombieland. I guess they removed the movie theater scene. But overall it's a solid cast, Emma Stone is gorgeous, Josh Brolin is solid. I'd recommend it to somebody who likes action flicks.Grade: B+

Gangster Squad

January 13, 1:50 PM, 50% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - No reactions

The Lone Ranger

The Last Stand

Bullet to the Head

I can't not recommend this movie enough. Such a waste of the talent involved. Audience had some laughs, and one obnoxious couple talking throughout the whole movie.

Life Of Pi 3D

January 16, 22:00, 40% full

Rav Chen, Jerusalem, Israel

47 shekels ($12.6)

Trailers (no reaction)

Parker

Lincoln

Hitchcock

After Earth

The film looks wonderful, but the story, while good in general, wasn't interesting throughout. It felt like it could have been shorter woithout missing too much.

grade: B

Les Miserables

January 17, 6:35 PM, 40% full

Trailers - No reactions

Oz: The Great and Powerful

Zero Dark Thirty

The Great Gatsby

Oblivion

I was slightly annoyed by my theater not fixing the curtains to the aspect ratio, but that's a moot point. Movie was fantastic as before, and I appreciate Redmayne a lot more after this viewing. One person applauded at the end, and there were laughs throughout at the Thenadiers.

Zero Dark Thirty

January 18, 1:40 PM, 15% full (to be fair, it was a huge theater and an early show.)

Showplace 14, Michigan City, IN

Trailers - No reactions

Dead Man Down

Snitch

Pain and Gain

Iron Man 3

Oblivion

Broken City

The Call

The audience being so small, there wasn't much response to anything. A few laughs at the mildly comedic points, but besides that, nothing.

Djagno3:30PMMostly older audience-about 40% full.Trailers:Movie 43: Yuck. Early contender for worse picture? Audience hated it (Even heard a fart sound!)Die Hard 5: Laughs.Dark Skies: I think the entire movie was shown in this trailer. Looks pure evil really...Stand Up Guys: Laughs.Scary Movie 5: Quite a bit of laughs actually-looks funny the more I think about it.Oblvion.Movie: Pretty good. Not the best of the year but still made well. I use the term "western" loosley for this as it really is not one. I think if it wins anything it should be for cinematragrophy. The movie is quite disturbing at times (I think I saw more Jamie Foxx then I ever want to see...) and quite graphic also. The audience loved the humor-so did I. The music was pretty good (the rap was way out of place though) overall a fun filmA-

Posted Image

Amour

7:00PM Friday, January 18th

Coolidge Corner Theater

Theater Capacity: 400 (30% full; a very, very mature, grey audience)

Ticket Price: $10.00

Concession: medium popcorn, $5

TRAILERS:

Tabu - foreign black & white romance trailer; looked okay, no reaction

Quartet - funny trailer and got a good reaction from the crowd

THE FILM:

Amour was the only film nominated for Best Picture that I hadn't seen before tonight, simply because it hadn't played in Boston until now. It's definitely the "heavy" picture that critics were calling it, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's exactly what I expected. Where certain films like Shame or Requiem For A Dream are descriptively heavy because of a theme of addiction plaguing its characters, Amour is heavy in the sense that its story is a very real, authentic look at the caregiving one spouse gives to the other as the effects of old age become apparent.

Emmanuelle Riva undoubtably gives one of the most heart-breaking performances of a lifetime as a woman whose health gradually deteriorates following a stroke. And helplessly at her side the whole time is her husband played by Jean-Louis Trintignant. The performances these two share from start to finish successfully convince the audience these two have indeed had a lifetime of love and memories together, and that enduring commitment to each other--in sickness and in health--conveys that very personal war old married couples are most likely destined to deal with eventually. Amour presents some very tough questions about testing the commitment--the love--that two people could share with one another, and shows a very real, heart-wrenching, depressing-but-true resolution of how best to address such difficult circumstances.

Sadly, watching Amour this evening couldn't have been any more timely. This morning my 90-year-old grandfather passed away at home in bed. He and my grandmother, married for more than 60 years, had a love for each other that certainly went against the odds and a final few years together that were not too dissimilar from this film. Of course it's sad anytime you know a loved one is hurting and must depend on others for their survival, and I could try forever to empathize with the burden taking care of that person places on the spouse. But the reality is that we really cannot fathom the love and dedication it requires to take care of a sick person unless we're there every moment of everyday, making it our purpose for being. Amour illuminates this in spades. And although I grieve the loss of grandfather, I believe in the best way possible that, for my grandmother's sake, with his passing a weight has been lifted.

Experience - 24/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 7/15; I actually got annoyed with the poor editing from one scene to the next in this

Directing - 8/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 76/100, B

• Like 1

Silver Linings Playbook

January 26, 7:05 PM, 75% fullPortage 16 IMAX, Portage, INTrailers

Admission - some laughs

Safe Haven

The Great Gatsby

The Sapphires

New favorite awards contender. Audience loved at as well, laughed quite a bit, and some claps after the climatic dance sequence, and a bunch of applause at the end.

Quartet

Mon 28th, 18:45, about 20 people. (The 20:45 show sold a bit better, still nothing to write home about)

Trailers:

Les Miserables

The Master

The film: Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut is a nice feel-good comedy in the vein of "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and "The Concert". We're about 45 but when we took our places the aggregate average age must've dropped in the two-digit-range. It's a really enjoyable film (see review) and WOM should be stellar, but if this can't outgrow its narrow target demo it's doomed to a short and disappointing run here.

Edited by IndustriousAngel

The Impossible

Feb. 2, 2013 / 12:30 PM

Festival Mall, Alabang, Muntinlupa, PH

12 people

Trailers (no reaction for all of it)

Pacific Rim

Despicable Me

World War Z

Man of Steel

Epic

Movie

Wow! What an emotional movie. I tried my best not to tear up but man this movie just goes straight through your heart. The recreation of the Tsunami is good and i felt the horror of the experience. The acting was so good as well, Naomi deserved that Oscar nod. Ewan and the kids were great as well and boy when the little boys were shouting Lucas! I almost lost it.

The crowd's small but they were responsive and heard some sobs as well. Good movie overall

A

I did a double feature last night.

First movie- Jaws 3:40 PM showing

Ticket price: $6

225 Seat theater, roughly 80 people

Trailers

This was quite interesting, there was no pre-show or ads, instead for over 20 minutes before the show was supposed to start they were showing the original tralers for the movies playing at the digital film festival.

Trailers included:

Jaws

Fifth Element

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Battle Royal

Pulp Fiction

and more

The movie started right on time to the minute and the crowd obviously liked it (not surprising, the manager introduced the movie and asked if anyone hadn't seen it yet, there were 2 people in the crowd who hadn't).

Seeing old movies in modern theaters like this really makes it clear just how much better they are on the big screen, I've seen it too many times to recall over the years but this was the best since I originally saw it, even though I knew I'd have to duck out nearly 15 minutes before the end to make the 2nd half of the double feature.

=======================================================================================================

2nd movie- Warm Bodies 5:30 PM show

Ticket price- free. Used my Scene points, price would have been $15.99 since it was playing on the UltraAVX screen

410 seat theater, between 250 and 300 people. Too many people entering and exiting and filing in as the trailers started to get a good count.

Trailers

A good day to Die Hard- they were also plugging a Die Hard marathon leading up to the midnight showings

Jack the Giant Killer- mild reaction, looked ok

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones- This got a pretty big reaction from the girls in the audience, and the audience was at least 70% girls. I'm not a big fan of Lily Collins but I thought it looked good.

The Host- Another good reaction, but not at the level of City of Bones. I'm looking forward to this one

I just love seeing a movie with a big crowd that is into it and clearly having fun, and this fit the bill to a T. Lots of humor and the leads had plenty of chemistry and charisma. Exit buzz was nothing but positive and I can see good legs coming from positive WOM.

• Like 1

Warm Bodies

February 3, 2:15 PM, 15% full

Trailers
Monsters University

Now You See Me

World War Z

Safe Haven

Tyler Perry's Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor

Wasn't as funny as I expected, but still good. Laughter at appropiate places and that was about it for crowd response.