Trailers - no reactions

Mr. Peabody and Sherman Cell phone thingie

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return

The LEGO Movie

The Nut Job

The Boxtrolls

Muppets Most Wanted 

Maleficent

Loved it for a third time. Audience was dead for the first half but once Olaf showed up, laughter did too. A few gasps at the twist too.

Saving Mr. Banks

January 2, 1:15 PM, 80% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Winter's Tale

Divergent

Heaven is for Real

Muppets Most Wanted

Million Dollar Arm

I enjoyed it more the first time but it was still good. The audience was a lot more lively this time, with tons of laughter at points and sniffles at the end.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

January 4, 11:15 AM, 15% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Captain America: The First Avenger

Jupiter Ascending

Interstellar

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Edge of Tomorrow

Pretty good movie. Audience was completely dead except for a few "ugh"s at the end.

From yesterday:

Lone Survivor

2:50 PM

About 75% full, mostly older people.

Trailers:

That Awkward Moment: Looks a little too serious, some laughs.

Robocop: Not much.

Railway Man: Never heard of this till yesterday. Looks interesting.

Non Stop: Does not look that bad. Though don't see if you are afraid of flying!

Transcendence: Best trailer, looks pretty good.

Neighbors; Some laughs-I hope Rogen destroys Effron in it

Movie: Really good. Controversy is dumb behind this to be honest. I think this should of been nominated for more (Actor, screenplay and cinematography). It was sad also but well made. Audience really loved it.

A

Her

January 19, 4:40 PM, 20% full

Trailers - no reactions except one

The Other Woman

Endless Love - me and a friend started laughing uncontrollably at this. Looks awful in the best way

Edge of Tomorrow

Winter's Tale

Fantastic film. Audience was pretty small, but there was laughter at appropriate points. People I was with thought it was eh but I loved it

Edited by Blankments

The Wolf Of Wall Street January 17, 2014, 5 p.m., 10% fullSM Cinema Cebu cinema 3, PhilippinesTrailers (no reactions)-Some local film with a name I couldn't pronounce or remember one bit.-Snowpiercer Loved it. Definitely an A+.Crowed was small but was into the movie. Lots of laughter during appropriate scenes.

12 Years a Slave

Jan 21, 22.20, 35% full (almost everyone over 35 years old)

Cinesa Diagonal, Barcelona

Trailers

Mindscape - my wife is really anticipating this

Saving Mr Banks - no reactions. I'm very interested in this film, though

American Hustle - some talk. Best reaction

Film

Very solid, with many intense and memorable scenes but I had a few problems. Some scenes were too long. Some characters were underdeveloped or finished apruptly. From my point of view, this is too cold/hard to take the Oscars. I found interesting that no one complained about the hard

Patsey's whiplash scene

. Just reminded me of 

Passion of the Christ controversy

Audience reactions were correct, but near me there was an old couple that were annoyed with the length and the slow pace the movie has at certain scenes.

8.5/10

The Secret Life of Walter MittyJanuary 28, 2014 = 4:30 pm = <10% fullAyala Center Cebu Cinema 3, PhilippinesTrailers:The Lego Movie-Pretty much everyone laughed a the gags.How to train your dragon 2The Book thiefRobocopA solid film that gets a 7.5 from me. I believe this should have been better received by critics and audiences alike.Audience laughed a lot throughout the film. The others definitely enjoyed it as well.

• Like 1

Posted Image

That Awkward Moment

3:45PM Friday, January 31st

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: ~250 (25% full, everyone looked to be in their 20's and crowd was a bit female-leaning... no surprise for this genre of film, though)

Ticket Price: $10.75

Concessions: Powerade, $4.25

TRAILERS:

See No Evil - pretty scary trailer, good reaction

Veronica Mars - never watched the show, but the trailer was funny and got a good reaction

Neighbors - awesome trailer, lots of talking, and great audience reaction

About Last Night - looks okay I guess, got some giggles from the ladies

A Haunted House 2 - very funny trailer and great reaction, lots of laughs

The Other Women - more giggling, looks interesting

Bad Words - YES! JASON BATEMAN!!! SO FUNNY!!!

THE FILM:

Whomever wrote this movie should be banned from writing screenplays ever again. That Awkward Moment was such cheesy, predictable garbage story-wise that I'm left wondering why the talented young actors in it agreed to participate in the first place. The movie was funny in doses and dramatic in others, but so much of it feels disconnected and improbable.

I really do believe Zac Efron, Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Imogen Potts, and Mackenzie Davis are talented actors and have believable chemistry with each other on screen. I just cannot get past the garbage scenarios they had to work around. When awkward moments were played for comic effect, they worked brilliantly. But any time there was an awkward moment that was sad, dramatic, or just plain wrong, you could actually hear audience members commenting disapprovingly in the theater (*actually, there was this moment when two people "break up" in the film that a guy in our audience shouted, "NO!" like Carl Fredricksen in the first couple minutes of Up... that was funny!).

The film's music is great--it has some sort of 1980's, John Hughes vibe which I really dig. And based on my own personal experiences in New York City, I liked that they shot seemingly everything on location and actually show the city for how it is--not how some movies make it out to falsely be. But overall, the pic ended with me giving a big thumbs down to the screen. It works 50% of the time as a comedy--that might be enough for some people, but it wasn't enough for me.

Experience - 25/30

Story/Writing - 4/20

Acting - 13/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 11/15

Directing - 5/10

Music - 9/10

THE VERDICT: 67/100, C

Comments, Likes, and Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you. :-)

• Like 4

Posted Image

The Lego Movie

11:25AM Friday, February 7th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 300 (10% full; almost entirely families with young children)

Ticket Price: $7.00 (Still cannot believe how much cheaper early morning shows are)

Concessions: N/A

TRAILERS: (*side observation - every time a new trailer would start, the same group of kids in the theater would say, "The movie's starting!", quickly followed by, "NO! That's another preview." It was kind of adorable.)

The Boxtrolls - great little featurette about how the stop motion movie is made; some whispers from the kids watching.

Muppets Most Wanted - lots of talking and laughing; best reaction from kids.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - great trailer, lots of talking, and the kids like it a lot too. I can't wait for it.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman - funny trailer... very loud laughs at the quick "Ooh La La!" line.

Island of Lemurs: Madagascar - shot in IMAX and looks very stunning. No reaction from crowd.

THE FILM:

"Everything is awesome!"

These three titular lyrics of The Lego Movie's signature song very accurately summarize the movie best. The imaginative-yet-familiar Lego universe projected on screen is such a feast for the senses, it feels like a mash-up of the Toy Story and Wreck-It-Ralph universes... in LEGO! But the line delivery and overall screenplay are real treats as well for people of all ages and genders.

The A+ voice cast did spot on work for each of their characters, especially Will Arnet as Batman and Elizabeth Banks as Wyldstyle.  Some of the jokes alluding to big industry aimed for the older viewers (Lord/President Business, moments of B-rated stop motion/puppetry) left a few others and I belly laughing in the theater. But so much of the humor was non-crude slapstick and situationally awkward, everyone in the theater really identified with it. Also, whomever came up with the names for one of the Lego lands based on Middle Earth deserves a medal.

The music was very catchy and changed expectedly for multiple Lego realms/worlds that the characters ended up in, but I guess I would've liked it more if there was better cohesion there. The direction was spot on. All things considered, the graphics were phenomenal. And the screenplay is a slam dunk. Everyone in our theater loved this movie, and by the sound of it every child and adult walking out of that film wants to play with Lego bricks immediately. If you enjoyed Toy Story (1-3)Wreck-It RalphScott Pilgrim vs. The World, and have watched any major, big budget blockbusters in the last 20 years, you will fall in love with The Lego Movie.

Experience - 27/30

Story/Writing - 19/20

Voice Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 15/15

Directing - 10/10

Music - 8/10

THE VERDICT: 94/100, A

Comments, Likes, and Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you! :-)

• Like 4

The Lego MovieFebruary 8, 2014 = 1:10 pm = 40-50 % fullAyala Center Cebu Cinema 2, PhilippinesTrailers: NoneAwesome film. The lowest score I can give it is an 8/10. Audience was also into the film with laughter throughout.

Edited by kaijukurt

Saw Lone Survivor last night, the theater was almost full and there was an applause after the film. the first I've seen in a while.

That movie really took me by surprise, as too how gritty it was. Loved it. I actually am seeing it again today. Edited by archiebunker704
  • Like 1

The LEGO Movie

February 9, 4:00 PM, 80% full

Trailers

Muppets Most Wanted - No reaction

Mr. Peabody and Sherman - plenty of laughs

The Lemurs of Madagascar - no reaction

Awesome movie. Audience was pretty great too. Loads of laughter throughout the whole movie and some applause at the end. AWESOME time

• Like 1

Monuments Men

2/8/14  7:15 PM  75% Full

Regal Cinemas- Kingston, MA

Trailers:

In Secret

3 Days to Kill

Noah

Edge of Tomorrow

A Million Ways to Die in the West

X-Men: Days of Future Past

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Movie:

It was ok. Not good, not bad, just ok. Which is kind of a disappointment when you think of the cast involved. Dragged in some points. Balaban and Murray were the highlights for me, with Cate and Matt's story being the low point. The crowd was mostly senior citizens so not much reaction when it was over.

Lego Movie

4:30PM

About 80% full

Trailers:

Legend of Oz: Wow, this looks like a DTV film. This made some animated films look like Pixar.  I think I heard a chuckle :P

Muppets Most Wanted: Fantastic reaction, looks really good.

Mr. Peabody: Quite a few laughs, looks better then the show, not that its hard to do.

Lemurs of Madagascar: Amusing comments how they look nothing like King Julian :P

Movie: Very funny and clever. Best film of 2014...Oh wait :P I pretty much figured that it was a kid playing with his toys after some of the sound and stuff The lego characters were funny, I thought the spaceman was the best character. The style of animation was good. So for part 2 it can be The rise of the Duplo blocks lol, that part was funny

A

Edited by Impact

The Lego MovieTrailers:-Man 2 -- silenceMuppets most wanted -- a few laughsSherman and Mr. Peabody (something like that) -- silenceMadagascar (documentary of some jumping animals, narrated by freeman) -- a few oh'sOz -- silence Crowd:As you would expect, a lot of kids at this one. They were very well behaved though, not noisy or anything. They acted better than some older teenagers. They all seemed to love the movie, I heard some of the kids saying of seeing it again. Pretty healthy box office I see.

RoboCop

2/17/14 12:00 PM  50% Full(or is it 50% empty)

Regal Cinemas-Kingston, MA

Trailers:

Brick Mansions--you could hear people talking when they saw Paul Walker, a few awwws

Noah

X-Men: Days of Future Past--I think it's time for a new trailer

The Purge: Anarchy--if you know the Purge is happening, then why are you even out on the road??

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

22 Jump Street

Movie:

I'll admit I've never seen the original RoboCop all the way through, so it's hard for me to determine if this remake adds anything new to the story. But what I did get was the feeling of a political undertone. Most recently, the city of St. Louis was proposing using drones to search and scan the city for illegal activity. It raises the question of whether or not as a society do we want a machine to do the job of a police officer. In a way I feel as though this movie was trying to tackle thus issue and in many aspects succeeded. This wasn't just a shoot em up popcorn flick, but it also had an agenda that tackled real world issues.

I'd give it a solid B