Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

The other womanDate: 23 AprilCinema: Vue HarrowCapacity: sold outTrailers (the cinema got more and more full when it went on): (my reaction in brackets)22 jump street- no reaction (looks terrible, like a worser version of the ride along trailer)Maleficent- No reaction (yes, my cinema finally stopped showing the 10 second teaser, looking forward to this)The fault in our starts- some aaw's (my most anticipated of 2014, love the book)Blended- loads and loads of laughs (actually looks quite good in my view)Walking on sunshine- most people just looked confused (this looks awful but great at the same time, seems like it might be fun but have absolutely no plot)Film: great film and definitely recommend. A+. Bigger Review in the review that movie section

• Like 1

The Grand Budapest Hotel

April 26, 10:40 AM, 20% full

AMC Showplace 14, Michigan City, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Locke

I Origins

Mom's Night Out

A Million Ways to Die in the West

Million Dollar Arm

Begin Again

The Drop

After thinking about it more and more, I think I enjoyed this movie, even though it didn't work for me at times. The audience was alright, but there were two people who laughed at everything which is kinda annoying. Otherwise a nice small crowd that had some applause at the end

The Amazing Spider-Man 2April 30, 1:00 pm, Ayala Center Cebu Cinema 5, Philippines>75% fullTrailers (No reactions)MaleficentGuardians of the Galaxy22 Jump StreetAnnieGood movie and good crowd. I found this better than the first one and the crowd laughed and was in awe/shock at appropriate times.

• Like 1

Posted Image

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in Lie-MAX 3D

7:00PM Thursday, May 1st

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 654 (80% full; very diverse crowd made up of teens, 20- and 30-somethings, and families... more male-leaning than female leaning crowd)

Ticket Price: $18.75

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

The Expendables 2 - pointless teaser, no reaction from crowd

X-Men: Days of Futures Past - A more refined trailer that clearly outlines the story--this just looks better and better with every new piece of footage I see on screen. Loads of talking from crowd and great reaction.

22 Jump Street - very funny trailer, got a great reaction (the best reaction) and lots of talking

Annie - some talking; the trailer was okay but not as good as the first Annie teaser

Transformers: Age of Extinction - this looks stunning in IMAX... I may've said it before, but it was worth repeating. Awesome trailer and good reaction

Godzilla - there was lots of whispering and even a couple laughs from girls throughout the theater... I guess it's silly to some people that there's yet another Godzilla film.

Guardians of the Galaxy - a balsy trailer that always leaves a smile on my face and others'. Lots of talking from crowd, solid reaction.

THE FILM:

I'm trying to wrap my head around why so many movie critics are split on this film (Rotten Tomatoes score of 56% at time of writing). The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a great movie. In terms of acting quality, I think TASM2 featured the best ensemble performance of any superhero film I've watched since The Dark Knight... and maybe even better than that. Call me a feminist, but I think the writing and acting from female characters in this film (principally Emma Stone and Sally Field) was better than in any superhero films I can remember from the last 15 years.

Andrew Garfield is far more fun, athletic, and at ease in the role of Peter Parker and Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire ever was. And although the character has always been a bit more family friendly and light-hearted than some other superheroes, I feel like this Spider-Man comes off as a great role model for young children and adults. Similarly, I believed the performance from Emma Stone and the choices her character mades are exemplary and make a real statement. Dane DeHaan and Jamie Foxx play their emotionally neglected villains spot-on, and Sally Field's Aunt May adds so much humanity to the story.

At first I wasn't sure what to think about the music... there are a number of scenes where schmaltzy, sad piano music is playing like they want you to cry or be sad... but then overall there are so many cool and experimental uses of sound integrated between the mood the film's aiming to establish and the situations unraveling on screen. I found myself nodding my head on so many occasions thinking, "Wow! I LOVE what they did with the sounds/music there!" The overall narrative doesn't exactly break new ground--it's generally your run-of-the-mill hero's arc. However, the effort everyone else puts into their work--editors, cinematographers, sound mixers, make-up, director, ACTORS (great on-screen dynamic between Stone & Garfield)--their work is commendable. There was a very loud applause from our crowd when the movie was over and lots of good thoughts shared by people while we waited during the credits... (FYI, there is a teaser during the credits about 3 minutes into it... it may not be what you're expecting, but certainly worth staying for). TASM2 is a very fun night to the movies with laughter, suspense, drama, and action. Go check it out!

Experience - 28/30

Story/Writing - 13/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15

Director - 9/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 89/100, A

Comments, likes, shares, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you. :-)

• Like 3

Posted Image

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in Lie-MAX 3D

7:00PM Thursday, May 1st

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 654 (80% full; very diverse crowd made up of teens, 20- and 30-somethings, and families... more male-leaning than female leaning crowd)

Ticket Price: $18.75

TRAILERS:

The Expendables 2 - pointless teaser, no reaction from crowd

X-Men: Days of Futures Past - A more refined trailer that clearly outlines the story--this just looks better and better with every new piece of footage I see on screen. Loads of talking from crowd and great reaction.

22 Jump Street - very funny trailer, got a great reaction (the best reaction) and lots of talking

Annie - some talking; the trailer was okay but not as good as the first Annie teaser

Transformers: Age of Extinction - this looks stunning in IMAX... I may've said it before, but it was worth repeating. Awesome trailer and good reaction

Godzilla - there was lots of whispering and even a couple laughs from girls throughout the theater... I guess it's silly to some people that there's yet another Godzilla film.

Guardians of the Galaxy - a balsy trailer that always leaves a smile on my face and others'. Lots of talking from crowd, solid reaction.

THE FILM:

I'm trying to wrap my head around why so many movie critics are split on this film (Rotten Tomatoes score of 56% at time of writing). The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a great movie. In terms of acting quality, I think TASM2 featured the best ensemble performance of any superhero film I've watched since The Dark Knight... and maybe even better than that. Call me a feminist, but I think the writing and acting from female characters in this film (principally Emma Stone and Sally Field) was better than in any superhero films I can remember from the last 15 years.

Andrew Garfield is far more fun, athletic, and at ease in the role of Peter Parker and Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire ever was. And although the character has always been a bit more family friendly and light-hearted than some other superheroes, I feel like this Spider-Man comes off as a great role model for young children and adults. Similarly, I believed the performance from Emma Stone and the choices her character mades are exemplary and make a real statement. Dane DeHaan and Jamie Foxx play their emotionally neglected villains spot-on, and Sally Field's Aunt May adds so much humanity to the story.

At first I wasn't sure what to think about the music... there are a number of scenes where schmaltzy, sad piano music is playing like they want you to cry or be sad... but then overall there are so many cool and experimental uses of sound integrated between the mood the film's aiming to establish and the situations unraveling on screen. I found myself nodding my head on so many occasions thinking, "Wow! I LOVE what they did with the sounds/music there!" The overall narrative doesn't exactly break new ground--it's generally your run-of-the-mill hero's arc. However, the effort everyone else puts into their work--editors, cinematographers, sound mixers, make-up, director, ACTORS (great on-screen dynamic between Stone & Garfield)--their work is commendable. There was a very loud applause from our crowd when the movie was over and lots of good thoughts shared by people while we waited during the credits... (FYI, there is a teaser during the credits about 3 minutes into it... it may not be what you're expecting, but certainly worth staying for). TASM2 is a very fun night to the movies with laughter, suspense, drama, and action. Go check it out!

Experience - 28/30

Story/Writing - 13/20

Acting - 15/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 14/15

Director - 9/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 89/100, A

Comments, likes, shares, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you. :-)

Few laughs from girls doesn't override the whispering IMHO at least.

• Like 1

TASM2 in 2D at Pacific Place 11 in Seattle

7pm on Thursday May 1

It was in one of the larger theaters, but probably not much more than 10-20% full. I'd estimate the crowd was about 40-50 people. Pretty good balance between men and women.

Trailers:

TMNT (fair number of laughs and anticipated murmuring)

Maleficent (some oohs of appreciation, but mostly quiet)

Earth to Echo (quiet, but I think I heard a "nope")

A Million Ways to Die in the West (some laughs, some confused chatter)

22 Jump Street (a lot of laughs)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (about the same as Maleficent)

Annie (some laughs and excited chatter)

The film got a good response. Lot of laughs and clear enjoyment from the crowd. There was one moment with a lot of shocked gasps.

TASM2
3:25PM

About 40% full, one thing I notice is that this theater is not as near as crowded anymore ever since the new one opened in November.

Trailers:

22 Jump Street: Couple laughs, mostly from me.
Annie: Nothing.
X:-Men: Some talking.
Guardians of the Galaxy: The only trailer that was not a remake or a sequel, some laughs.
Godzilla: Couple of whispers.
Ninja Turtles-some laughs and a few comments.

Movie: Really good, thought it was better then the original Spideys which have not aged as well. One problem was the marketing-which gave a way a little too much, like Rhino who is barley in it, Chris Cooper who is in it for about 2 minutes and finally Goblin's son. The visuals were great-in a way I kind of felt sorry for Electro, he just wants a friend! The audience loved it, they really reacted big time when Gwen dies. Not sure if I liked it more or less then the 2nd. While not as good as CA2, still a fun ride.

A-

Edited by Impact
  • Like 3

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ((3D)) at the AMC Loews, Seacourt Theater in Toms River NJ

9:30 Showing

Was about 15-20% full. Quite a few kids. 

Trailers ((I walked in somewhat late so I probably missed one))-

22 Jump Street

Annie

Edge of Tomorrow

Guardians of the Galaxy

X-Men: Days of Future Past

No reactions except for a few laughs at 22 Jump Street and Annie's trailers.

Overall the audience was good. Laughed at the rights moments. There was a gasp when 

Gwen died.

I've given my thoughts on the movie in the other thread but I'll give a rating here-

3.5-4/10

• Like 1

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

May 4, 11:45 AM, 20% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers - no reactions except one (arrived late)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Lucy

Maleficent

Guardians of the Galaxy - some laughs

With a third watch, this is now my favorite MCU movie period. So good. Although this crowd was really dead.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

May 4, 2:25 PM, 95% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers - no reactions except when listed (arrived late)

Rio 2 cell phone ad

Maleficent

The Giver

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - few laughs at end

22 Jump Street - big laughs at last few jokes

Earth to Echo

The Expendables 2

I'm very ehh about it. There was some great stuff but some truly awful stuff. Crowd seemed to like it; there was a lot of laughter and some claps at the end.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

10/10 for the score? IMO, this was one of Zimmer's worst, but at the same time, he wasn't the only contributor.

I appreciated the playful interaction between the story, music, and score. For example, the scene where Electro is bouncing between power towers at the hydroplant, the sounds become the beat of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider". I thought that was clever and funny, although I'm not sure everybody in the theater caught it. And if I remember correctly, the score merged from that beat into the theme throughout the movie really well--almost like when Hans Zimmer merged content from the dreams to the overarching score in Inception​. Also, director Marc Webb has his roots in directing music videos, and from this and his other films it's clear he has a gift for pairing sounds with the content on screen.

One of Zimmer's best scores? No. But as a whole? I thought the music overall worked really well.

• Like 1

I appreciated the playful interaction between the story, music, and score. For example, the scene where Electro is bouncing between power towers at the hydroplant, the sounds become the beat of "The Itsy Bitsy Spider". 

Ugh. That's actually the stupidest thing in the whole movie. And that's saying something. And I'm sure people caught it, cause it's not subtle, and Electro spells it out as well. I liked the score overall, but that was plain stupid.

Ugh. That's actually the stupidest thing in the whole movie. And that's saying something. And I'm sure people caught it, cause it's not subtle, and Electro spells it out as well. I liked the score overall, but that was plain stupid.

Plus, Spidey said that he hates that song.

Posted Image

Neighbors

9:00PM Friday, May 9th

AMC Assembly Row 12 (***this theater is brand new and rules!)

Theater Capacity: 124 (95+% full; about 2/3 guys in their 20's/30's, typical fratpack audience)

Ticket Price: $12.50

TRAILERS:

The Purge: Anarchy - cool concept, broader-appealing sequel it looks like

Tammy - funny trailer, lots of talking

22 Jump Street - best reaction, awesome trailer

Chef - great cast, okay idea; some talking from crowd

Obvious Child - quirky romcom, weak reaction from crowd.

A Million Ways to Die in the West - excellent reaction from crowd, looks like a lot of fun

Let's Be Cops - trailer ran too long... I'm worried we saw too many of the jokes, but there were many heavy laughs

THE FILM:

Neighbors was about as funny as I'd hoped it would be. I've liked Seth Rogen's and Zac Efron's work for different reasons, and thought it worked really well here for these two (and supporters) to be juxtaposed against each other. Although not every joke won over the entire audience, the majority of them hit it out of the park. There were even a handful of quick, witty, offensive lines that left my friend and me laughing really hard (especially a line about happily married parents).

The main thing that bugged me about this was that a couple shots from the trailers apparently didn't make it into the final cut. Overall, everything works. I just feel like the movie could've used that slightly extra push to make us really feel the tension between these two homes. The comedic chemistry between our two main pairings was pretty great too--Seth Rogen & Rose Byrne, as well as Zac Efron and Dave Franco. McLovin's screen time is brief but legendary, and the token black fraternity member Jerrod Carmichael actually steals the show in all of his scenes. Cameos galore also make the film worth it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Neighbors is one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time, but I'm also not the greatest gauge of comedic lasting power. For instance, I remember seeing The HangoverBridesmaids, and Tropic Thunder and thinking they were only kinda funny, but had no idea what big hits they'd become and how they'd resonate with wider audiences (***I did see a following coming after Ted, though). As far as R-rated comedies go, this one's funny enough and worth going to enjoy with friends at the theater.

Experience - 28/30

Story/Writing - 16/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 8/15

Directing - 7/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 77/100, B

Comments, likes, shares, and feedback are always welcome. Thank you! :-)

• Like 2

Draft Day

May 10, 11:45 AM, 10% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers - no reactions

Blended

Get On Up

When the Game Stands Tall

Million Dollar Arm

The Expendables 3

Movie was pretty good, but the crowd was pretty dead except for some laughs at points

Neighbors:

Fri 9:40pm showing

95% full

Trailers:

22 Jump Street - best reaction

Chef - some laughs here and there

The Purge: Anarchy - silence 

A Million Ways to Die - slightly better reaction than Chef

Ruffalo/Knightley rom-com (forgot title) - silence 

Movie: A-

Great crowd reaction. Audible breathless whispers from females whenever Efron had his shirt off, guffaws pretty consistent. Everyone seemed into it. 

Godzilla:

Thursday 7:30 pm showing 2D 

75% (3D sold out)

Trailers:

X-Men

Maleficient

22 Jump Street

Edge of Tommorow

Lucy

Expendables

HTTAD 2

Movie: C+

The crowd seem to like it ,applaud at the end, Personally for me the best part was the first twenty minutes, then it all went down hill from there.