Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

Posted Image

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D)

8:00PM Thursday, April 3rd

Regal Fenway 13 & RPX

Theater Capacity: 225 (30% full; mainly college students and couples in their 20's)

Ticket Price: $18*** (***I went to a marathon showing of Captain America at 5:30PM and Captain America: The Winter Soldier--both in 3D--with the joint ticket at $18)

Concessions: medium popcorn and medium soda, $5 (great deal with the marathon showing ticket)

TRAILERS:

Godzilla - impressive trailer, lots of talking/good reaction

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - looks good, but I hope they're not spilling too much about this thing before it comes out

Guardians of the Galaxy - funny trailer, and definitely scores points for originality (Chris Pratt's on fire right now, huh?)

X-Men: Days of Future Past - these trailers get better and better... definitely top of my "most excited for" list this summer. Great reaction.

Maleficent - CGI-heavy film, I wonder if it'll pay dividends or go the way of Lone Ranger. Tepid reaction.

THE FILM:

I'm so glad I decided to re-watch Captain America right before watching The Winter Soldier because I was really able to appreciate the wit and finesse Marvel Studios screenwriters executed beautifully to further this story. Captain America: The Winter Soldier simultaneously knits together loose ends from the first film & The Avengers, and also plants countless seeds (via easter eggs) that shall complicate, enrich, and deepen the Marvel universe even further. And all the while, I feel like this film more than any of the others has gone to thoughtful lengths to synchronize its story with the very timely debates the United States is grappling about privacy and freedom.

Chris Evans is an admirable Captain America, taking on the character's personal challenges with sincerity and exhibiting the physical prowess that will cause many a man to reassess their life choices. Scar- Joh- fits very comfortably as Black Widow (more so than in the other Marvel films) and Samuel L. Jackson does a great job adding depth to Nick Fury as well (**BTW, SLJ fans should watch VERY closely for a homage to one of his more popular film roles late in this film). The rest of the supporting cast was on par with other Marvel films, and Anthony Mackie's debut as the Falcon is pretty cool.

The smorgasbord of special effects and fast-paced action sequences never mute the high stakes purpose of the battles Captain America & Co. are fighting. About a dozen reviews I read called The Winter Soldier's direction sharp, and I agree with them. I actually really enjoyed the score for this one, certainly noticing it a bit more than the scores for the Thor & Iron Man films, and I think the rewatchability quotient for this film is very high as well. Here's hoping you all go enjoy Captain America: The Winter Soldier and that it makes a killing at the box office... it deserves it.

Experience - 25/30

Story/Writing - 20/20

Acting - 14/15

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 15/15

Directing - 8/10

Music - 10/10

THE VERDICT: 92/100, A

Comments, Likes, Shares, and Feedback are always welcome. Thank you! :-)

• Like 3

Yeah it is kind of hard to take it seriously when you see the movie is a Godzilla film. ;)

Not really. Just because some movies were cheesy and bad doesn't mean all of them were. By that logic it'd be hard to take any Superhero film serious because of Adam West's Batman TV show.

Captain America: The Winter Solider 2-D

Regal Arnot Mall 10

Thursday 4/3 OPENING NIGHT 9:30pm

$10.50 25 people (mostly young males) (Not even a quarter full I was shocked)

Blended - Got some laughs. I even thought this was better then the first trailer.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - No Reaction

Lucy - Got some comments. Looks interesting. 

Guardians of the Galaxy - laughter. Some comments.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - No Reaction.

Maleficent - No reaction. This looks like that Snow White movie with Girl from Twilight. 

I was pissed there was no Godzilla trailer.

Review: 

The two words best to describe Captain America: The Winter Solider is kick-ass. Yes the action and fight scenes are a little over the top but in the movie they make it look so awesome and it’s so much fun at the same time that you can easily look past it. Now the tone of this movie was leaning a little more to the serious side like Iron Man 3 instead of the lighter tone of Thor: The Dark World and it really works with the story. The performances are all great as always. Directors Anthony and Joe Russo are able to keep a good balance throughout the entire film and it’s no surprise at all. If anyone knows the Russo Brothers they were producers of the tv show Community. They also directed a lot of the episodes including the season 2 paintball episode and the Dungeon & Dragons episodes. Both of those episodes were able to shift tone between the drama and comedy of those episodes. (YES, I WAS ABLE TO BRING THIS REVIEW AROUND TO COMMUNITY…and now back to the review) 

The only real complain have about this movie is the villain. It’s not that he’s not memorable but he’s just not in this movie enough. If any of you watch Jermey Jahns on youtube, he makes an excellent point. Why call this movie The Winter Solider when he is barely in the film. Besides the third act he’s not really in this movie. 

Captain America: Winter Solider is a really fun time and the best film out of all the phase two films and I will probably go see this movie again.

Grade: A-

• Like 2

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

April 5, 6:05 PM, 99% full

Cinemark, Valparaiso, IN

Trailers

Rio 2 cell phone ad - no reaction

Earth to Echo - some murmurs of "that looks stupid" afterwards

The Giver - no reaction except me complaining

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - murmurs

Blended - some laughs

Maleficent - no reaction

Lucy - murmurs

WTF@no superhero trailers at all

Movie was awesome and so was crowd. There was a good mix of ages so there was plenty laughter and also whispers during the big reveal. Not many people stayed after the credits though. Great time.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Well for a Godzilla film it does look a little too serious I will admit :P

It is a wildcard film though.

Gojira (The original Japanese film) was a very serious film about the dangers of atomic weapons. If ya don't believe me it has a 93% on RT.

Sometimes it is amusing to see the differences for audience for a trailer.

Like how when Mars Needs Moms was at Tangled the audience really enjoyed the trailer (mostly kids), when it was at Tron 2, you could hear a pin drop :P (the only laugh was for some dance scene)

Same thing for Pirates (the Claymation film), every kids film the kids loved it, but when it was at a PG-13 film the only laugh came from the like that he was on a ship full of people with leprosy.

• Like 1

Captain America: The Winter Solider 

Rogers Muller 18

2:20 PM

Ticket $5

Trailers

Godzilla- some chat afterwards sound positive. Someone beyond me said this looks awesome.

Amazing Spider Man 2- some chat and the person beyond said that this looks awful  

Movie:

The movie was good. One top three Marvel movies, the first act was great but the third act was to much over the top. 

7/10

• Like 2

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 7

CAPTAIN AMERICA 2  showing 2pm

trailers:

million dollar arm (pff)

see evil smtg? (who cares)

step up (againnn?)

neighbours (looks funny)

the quiet ones (yawnnn)

rio 2 (sambaaaaa)

sabotage (looks ok)

now the next two trailers the more i see them the more i'm getting psyched 

transcendence hope its good i'd love for a JD performance in a film to get more love on the forum instead of the usual he's hamming it in critique 

godzilla ( please let godzilla be badass, screw the humans, let him wreck havoc)

MOVIE : it was awesome i enjoyed myself, i still don't get people leaving once the film is over don't you know by now there are mid and post credits scenes, i guess i have to accept not everybody in GA is geeking out about the MCU universe 

for more i left a review in RTM

Edited by Lady Daenerys SNOW-STARK
  • Like 4

don't think i had time to post these lately so here goes 

CARIBBEAN CINEMAS MEGAPLEX 7

DIVERGENT 2PM

TRAILERS:

transcendence

neighbours

see you evil

million dollar arm godzilla (looks crazy cool)

sabotage (looks actiony?)

noah

enjoyed the movie , good adaptation from the book , see review in RTM

• Like 1

Posted Image

Transcendence in Lie-MAX

8:00PM Thursday, April 17th

AMC Boston Common 19 & Lie-MAX

Theater Capacity: 654 (9% full, like about 60 people... I wasn't expecting the rotten tomato score to impact the turnout this badly... this should have been at least a half full crowd. There was a surprisingly large ratio of Asians in the crowd)

Ticket Price: $14.75

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS:

Expendables III - meh teaser, got some talking

Transformers: Age of Extinction - I LOVE this trailer, and it looks fantastic in Lie-MAX too. Either the editor of this trailer deserves a medal for doing the unimaginable or Michael Bay very well may have actually made a good Transformers film... I'll have to see this when it comes out.

Guardians of the Galaxy - another excellent trailer, although I'm curious to see if this marketing campaign backfires or proves to be a stroke of genius. Silent reaction from crowd.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - this was the first good trailer I've seen for the new Spider-Man, and translated to a great reaction from the crowd. A couple people behind me said it actually looks better than the others... maybe they're right.

Godzilla - again, a fantastic trailer, but it only drew whispers from the crowd

Edge of Tomorrow - I'm very intrigued by the concept of this picture, but weary of how it'll be executed as an action film. No reaction.

THE FILM:

I vow to put as much effort in describing this film as director Wally Pfister did in every aspect of this film not related to cinematography.

Experience - 12/30 (there were 3 a**holes in the audience texting during the film with their phones on full brightness... I don't care how bad the picture is, that's a dick move!)

Story/Writing - 10/20 (part garbage, part brilliant)

Acting - 10/15 (Rebecca Hall rocks, but everyone else's talents--or lack thereof--were wasted)

Tech Specs (Editing, Effects, Cinematography) - 10/15 (great effects and cinematography, but awful editing)

Directing - 2/10

Music - 6/10

THE VERDICT: 50/100, D (That's "D" as in "Don't waste your time or money on this movie")

Comments, likes, shares, and feedback are always appreciated. Thank you. :-)

• Like 4

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

April 19, 6:40 PM, 80% full

Portage 16 IMAX, Portage, IN

Trailers - no reactions, but I'll put what my mom whispered to me after everyone

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - "looks boring"

Guardians of the Galaxy - "that looks stupid, no other way to put it"

X-Men: Days of Future Past - "that looks like it could be interesting"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - "Ugh, no thanks"

Movie was awesome again. Not that reactive of a crowd though, besides a guy who went "oh shit" a few times right in front of me. Also, whispers of

"Bucky?" at the reveal

. More people stayed after the credits this time than opening weekend :lol: Good time

• Like 1