eddyxx

The Fantastic Four - First Steps | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

Okay, now that the insanity is over, a couple thoughts:

- The footage / teaser package they showed was solid, but felt off. I think it’s cause it was supposed to be a “in universe promo/news vintage” instead of who the characters actually are. Like there is zero way Reed is ever that nice (but him with school kids is cute)

- The retro-futuristic designs are awesome. I am just aesthetically sucker for that. 

- Vanessa Kirby is the highlight as Sue. 

- No read on the actor playing Ben.

- Pedro will figure it out. But I want to see Actual Movie Reed before passing judgement. 

And…

deep breath…

Trying to remain calm.

I loathe Quinn as Johnny. everything about it feels wrong. There’s a moment in the video package where Sue is making a comment about how “And for the ladies out there, my brother is single.” Then it cuts to Johnny and he has like the super embarrassed, awkward expression on his face.

I just thought to myself in fucking universe is Johnny embarrassed to be talking to a woman. is that how you’re going to play it? Because no way. There’s no goddamn way we are going from Chris Evans and Michael B Jordan to thaaaaaaaat. Even his stage presence was not projecting Johnny.

I have a very vivid memory of 2010 Hall H. It was the first year that we camped out, because I dragged my friends there at two in the morning. I was determined to get into the room and have Kevin Feige explain to me why Chris Evans is playing Steve Rogers. Because he was absolutely, at that time, wrong for the role.

I just remember Evans walking out on stage during that panel. And he gained like 20 pounds of muscle, got his hair like a Steve do, and was so gracious and so nervous and so quietly confident while also panicking. He made this comment about how he’s just gonna try and do his best. In that moment, I turned to my friend and gasped.  Steve Rogers is on that stage right now. I get it. I completely get this and I’ve just been in love ever since.

I wanted that so badly with Quinn this weekend. And I did not get it.

So hopefully we’re going to eat some crow and they’re gonna fix some things along the way, but as of right now the only thing I’m really excited about for this is Sue. The rest of the cast I’m like OK whatever. The movie I think it’s kind of like OK whatever.

I think the biggest thing don’t for right now is Galactus looked awesome, and we got Avengers shit to get to. So it’s Doom time.

• Like 3

Yeah the little bits with Johnny were the one thing from the footage that made me go "eh." I'm on board with Quinn as an actor after Quiet Place and the Gladiator trailer, but I guess I still gotta be sold on him as Johnny. 

But the footage did sell me on Pascal as Reed. The bit in the classroom, THAT is the type of love for science/awkward humor I want from the smartest man alive who could also destroy the whole universe. I have no doubt that Moss-Bachrach will kill it as Ben though if his previous work is any indication, and the little bit with him and Pascal was a good sign of the dynamic for me.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Yeah the little bits with Johnny were the one thing from the footage that made me go "eh." I'm on board with Quinn as an actor after Quiet Place and the Gladiator trailer, but I guess I still gotta be sold on him as Johnny. 

But the footage did sell me on Pascal as Reed. The bit in the classroom, THAT is the type of love for science/awkward humor I want from the smartest man alive who could also destroy the whole universe. I have no doubt that Moss-Bachrach will kill it as Ben though if his previous work is any indication, and the little bit with him and Pascal was a good sign of the dynamic for me.

Same here. 

• Like 3

Quinn is just coming across as a blond Peter Parker which fucks up any potential Peter/Johnny dynamic in the future

I did love Sue in that scene that @Cap is referring to though. Vanessa K is so perfect for this. About time Sue Storm was done justice on the big screen for once.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

- The footage / teaser package they showed was solid, but felt off. I think it’s cause it was supposed to be a “in universe promo/news vintage” instead of who the characters actually are. Like there is zero way Reed is ever that nice (but him with school kids is cute)

- The retro-futuristic designs are awesome. I am just aesthetically sucker for that. 

- Pedro will figure it out. But I want to see Actual Movie Reed before passing judgement. 

And…

deep breath…

Trying to remain calm.

I loathe Quinn as Johnny. everything about it feels wrong. There’s a moment in the video package where Sue is making a comment about how “And for the ladies out there, my brother is single.” Then it cuts to Johnny and he has like the super embarrassed, awkward expression on his face.

I just thought to myself in fucking universe is Johnny embarrassed to be talking to a woman. is that how you’re going to play it? Because no way. There’s no goddamn way we are going from Chris Evans and Michael B Jordan to thaaaaaaaat. Even his stage presence was not projecting Johnny.

I have a very vivid memory of 2010 Hall H. It was the first year that we camped out, because I dragged my friends there at two in the morning. I was determined to get into the room and have Kevin Feige explain to me why Chris Evans is playing Steve Rogers. Because he was absolutely, at that time, wrong for the role.

I just remember Evans walking out on stage during that panel. And he gained like 20 pounds of muscle, got his hair like a Steve do, and was so gracious and so nervous and so quietly confident while also panicking. He made this comment about how he’s just gonna try and do his best. In that moment, I turned to my friend and gasped.  Steve Rogers is on that stage right now. I get it. I completely get this and I’ve just been in love ever since.

So hopefully we’re going to eat some crow and they’re gonna fix some things along the way, but as of right now the only thing I’m really excited about for this is Sue. The rest of the cast I’m like OK whatever. The movie I think it’s kind of like OK whatever.

I think the biggest thing don’t for right now is Galactus looked awesome, and we got Avengers shit to get to. So it’s Doom time.

I’m clearly not the resident major Fantastic Four fan on these parts and unlike you I wasn’t there neither I saw the footage, but from what I see them what I can think is that Pedro and Vanessa make Reed and Sue look cool and that’s not something I ever thought of when I think of those characters. Joseph Quinn doesn’t scream cool but I definitely see something that reminds me of Ben Grimm on Ebony that I can’t quite put my finger yet. 

Just now, YM! said:

Sigh. He's going to be TF4’s Doom ain't he. Hope it's just the post credit scene.

Even with Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars, I can see how this makes sense. 

Also I think the logos for the Avengers films are hinting more than people are realizing. Marvel proud themselves for never having made a reboot, both in comics and since the MCU started, the pieces of the puzzle hint for a very different MCU from the 2030 forward. 

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Also I think the logos for the Avengers films are hinting more than people are realizing. Marvel proud themselves for never having made a reboot, both in comics and since the MCU started, the pieces of the puzzle hint for a very different MCU from the 2030 forward. 

A reboot?

3 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

A reboot?

I mean yeah was obvious the moment they introduced the Multiverse angle and the fact that Feige wants his perfect 616. It'll be a soft one likely akin to the DCU with some recasts of characters who passed and retcons of plot points not liked.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I understand where this is going. I just think it's bad storytelling to have most of the TF4’s history with Doom off-screen and the Avengers attachment to Doom coming from similar faces vs it being Tony and will also lead to whitewashing Lavertia for the third time. Feel like whatever Feige wants from this could be accomplished with Superior Iron Man.

Edited by YM!

Just now, Reddroast said:

A reboot?

All-New, All-Different. Reboot might be a too strong of an word, more like a soft reboot like the world after Hickman’s Secret Wars. 

You could still have the continuity of the current MCU, but Secret Wars are ‘secret’ in universe for a reason. 

If I was a betting man, I’d think that’s when we get some fresh new faces taking over familiar roles. We will have a Doctor Doom in the future, just like the X-Men. 

People trying to pair up Pedro and Vanessa in real life are creepy as hell!

This isn't some Twilight movies where looks are everything and the main audience is teenage girls!

9 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean yeah was obvious the moment they introduced the Multiverse angle and the fact that Feige wants his perfect 616. It'll be a soft one likely akin to the DCU with some recasts of characters who passed and retcons of plot points not liked.

I understand where this is going. I just think it's bad storytelling to have most of the TF4’s history with Doom off-screen and the Avengers attachment to Doom coming from similar faces vs it being Tony and will also lead to whitewashing Lavertia for the third time. Feel like whatever Feige wants from this could be accomplished with Superior Iron Man.

It’s a Multiverse Saga. You could literally cast Daniel Day-Lewis as Doctor Doom and still wouldn’t be enough and the right fit for this particular story. Also I strongly believe that this was set in motion independent to Majors Kang. Now Loki’s role in the Multiverse Saga makes a ton of more sense. 

They are diametrically opposed, once again. For the MCU, for this saga, it’s what it needed to be done. 

6 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

People trying to pair up Pedro and Vanessa in real life are creepy as hell!

This isn't some Twilight movies where looks are everything and the main audience is teenage girls!

I don't think Vanessa is Pedro's type anyways.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cap said:

And…

deep breath…

Trying to remain calm.

My theory is he'll get a mega ego boost after gaining powers. It's the only reason I think they would explicitly highlight his awkwardness just before the mission. A fun lil twist to mix it up. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, YM! said:

Sigh. He's going to be TF4’s Doom ain't he. Hope it's just the post credit scene.

He's going to be everyone's doom, we just gotta make peace with that. You don't drop 100M on RDJ just to make him one of the Dooms. He's THE Doom of the mcu. 

• Like 6