Tower

BOT's top 100 black and white films the countdown is done

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Cause he's the best Director.

Speaking of Best Directors, @Water Bottle @grim22 what are you going to do about JCS's best Director List?  I also thought the way he was scoring it was really whacky.  But is someone else gonna do it?

It's worth doing I hope someone picks it up. I actually really dig that method of scoring (it's the same that was used in Village Voice's pazz and jop poll), but for it to bring effective results you need a limited number of people/things you're giving points to as well as a much lower ceiling and higher floor of points you can give. When you have all the directors in the world and you can give half all available points to just one... well, that's obviously how the Cameron loonies would love to have it. 

• Like 2

The Haunting

The Haunting Poster

Number of lists: 3

Year: 1963

Director: Robert Wise

First place votes: 0

Top 5 (2-5): 1

Top 10 (6-10): 0

Average position: 26.3

A horror film directed by Robert Wise? The guy who made The Sound Of Music and West Side Story? That's... surprising. Those films just seem so far from horror that it's hard for me to imagine it happening. But not only did he do so, he even made one good enough to make it well into this list.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 10

41 minutes ago, Tower said:

The Haunting

The Haunting Poster

Director: Robert Wise

Average position: 26.3

A horror film directed by Robert Wise? The guy who made The Sound Of Music and West Side Story? That's... surprising. Those films just seem so far from horror that it's hard for me to imagine it happening. But not only did he do so, he even made one good enough to make it well into this list.

It was a time when top directors not atypically mastered several genres. 

He won an Oscar for editing Citizen Kane.  Also directed Run Silent, Run Deep (war thriller on submarines),  The Sand Pebbles (Epic war drama), The Day The Earth Stood Still, & Star Trek (sci-fi), Executive Suite, I Want To Live, Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Set-Up (dramas - from the boardroom to the boxing ring to death row).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's worth doing I hope someone picks it up.

I wouldn't mind, but if I'm gonna run a list, I would like to do Top 50 Musicals when that's eligible again.  (IDEALLY, you would do it in December to honor CATS, but with the Year-End and BOFFYs that's a bad time.  Maybe we can do it for the Blu-Ray Release.)

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

I actually really dig that method of scoring (it's the same that was used in Village Voice's pazz and jop poll), but for it to bring effective results you need a limited number of people/things you're giving points to as well as a much lower ceiling and higher floor of points you can give. When you have all the directors in the world and you can give half all available points to just one... well, that's obviously how the Cameron loonies would love to have it. 

I get that.  I just read the scoring and felt like it was way to easy to manipulate the list.  I'm sure if anyone does it, they/we can revisit it then.

In the meantime, none of my Top Five have made the list year, so that's good.  If any of those are out of the Top 25, I'mma gonna riot.

• Like 4

Mad Max: Fury Road (Black And Chrome edition)

Image result for mad max fury road black and chrome

Number of lists: 1

Year: 2015

Director: George Miller

Average position: 2

This is the only entry to only be on one list, and on the other end of the spectrum, the film that came in 101st was on 6 lists. The colour version is one of my all time favourites, so I have no doubt that this is also great, but I'm not sure if there's much point in seeing this as well. 

Edited by Tower
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 4

It's not a hill I'm gonna die on but I'm still surprised you allowed this. It's like putting the colorized version of Casablanca or something on a best color films list. All it does is take the spot of an actual black and white movie.

• Like 10

Roma

Roma Poster

Number of lists: 4

Year: 2018

Director: Alfonso Cuaron

Top 10 (6-10): 1

Average position: 16.3

The youngest film on this list. this film has some really beautiful cinematography and I thought it was very good, but I do wonder if it would keep its spot if such a list were done several years from now.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It's not a hill I'm gonna die on but I'm still surprised you allowed this. It's like putting the colorized version of Casablanca or something on a best color films list. All it does is take the spot of an actual black and white movie.

Yeah, I'm not really sure I was right about that call, luckily it only applies to this one, and we were "saved" seeing it much higher by banning the JCS lists which gave it 68 points combined. But if it bothers you then Metropolis came in 101st, so just think of that as making the list instead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Okay, speaking as apparently the one guy who voted for this, in my defense, I mainly included it a) because I was running out of ideas to fill up the list and b) because I saw it ranked highly on another list in the thread seemingly without objection and thus assumed it was eligible/okay. (Of course, said list turned out to be one of JCS's lists, but I hadn't realised that at the time).

Honestly though, even though I do love the Black and Chrome edition and feel it does add some unique stuff to the original viewing that justifies its existence, if I'd realised nobody else was counting it or considered it eligible, then yeah I probably would've left it off without any real objections. And I don't feel like my one mildly-confused-about-the-rules vote should've been enough to propel it past movies like Metropolis and the like. So if you want to discount it and move everything else up one, then that's fine by me.

Edited by rukaio101
  • Like 7

Les Diabolique

Les Diaboliques Poster

Number of lists: 6

Year: 1955

Director: Henri-Georges Clouzot

Top 5 (2-5): 0

Average position: 48.3

Another horror film, but this one had a more wide ranging appeal and was on 6 lists allowing it to climb higher.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 9

House On Haunted Hill

House on Haunted Hill Poster

Number of lists: 4

Year: 1959

Director: William Castle

Average position: 48.3

Another horror film, but this one from the horror heavy lists. This must be the only entry in the top 100 to get less than 7 on IMDB.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 7

Random Harvest

Random Harvest Poster

Number of lists: 2

Year: 1942

Director: Mervyn Leroy

Average position: 9

The penultimate film to only got two votes, but those that saw it must have really loved it.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 7

High And Low

High and Low Poster

Director: Akira Kurosawa

Average position: 22.7

Kurosawa returns to this list with a crime drama. This is the Kurosawa entry with the least votes but the highest average, possibly indicating that more people should watch this (including myself).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Clerks

Clerks Poster

Number of lists: 5

Year: 1994

Director: Kevin Smith

Top 5 (2-5): 2

Average position: 39

One of our more modern entries, with some very high placing in a couple of submissions.

• Like 8

All Quiet On The Western Front

All Quiet on the Western Front Poster

Number of lists: 5

Year: 1930

Director: Lewis Milestone

Average position: 39.4

The academy award winning film adapted form the anti war book authored by Erich Maria Remarque. Because of its themes it drew particular ire from the Nazis who quickly banned when they came to power. The film itself had sometimes questionable acting, but the themes were delivered brilliantly through characters that you really get to care about.

• Like 9

The Great Dictator

The Great Dictator Poster

Year: 1940

Director: Charlie Chaplin

Average position: 45.8

Charlie Chaplin returns, this time not as the Tramp, but as a Hitler parody/Jewish barber.

• Like 8

High Noon

High Noon Poster

Year: 1952

Director: Fred Zinnemann

Average position: 42.3

The first western to make it in. My personal favourite B&W western, The Ox-Bow Incident, finished 166th and received votes only from myself. High Noon is still good, and clearly has a much wider appeal.

• Like 7