Tower

BOT's top 100 black and white films the countdown is done

10 hours ago, baumer said:

I'll be honest, I'm embarrassed that I kept Battleship Potemkin off my list.  I completely forgot to include it.  I would of had it in the 30's probably so maybe this placing is where it would have been no matter what.

At this point on the list every point matters, your vote would have bumped it up about 10 spots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Hidden Fortress

The Hidden Fortress Poster

Number of lists: 5

Year: 1958

Director: Akira Kurosawa

First place votes: 0

Top 5 (2-5): 0

Top 10 (6-10): 0

Average position: 49.6

Finally something I have seen and was even on my list. The first but not last entry from Kurosawa is an exciting adventure with quite a bit of comedy. Well worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Persona

Persona Poster

Number of lists: 3

Year: 1966

Director: Ingmar Bergman

Top 10 (6-10): 1

Average position: 30.3

Going from one famed foreign director to another we get our first Bergman movie. The description certainly sounds interesting, I really should watch this some time.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 9

Persona is available on Kanopy and is a great film by Ingmar Bergman. It'll try your patience by the end, though. But it's a fascinating character drama about two women, one of which doesn't speak any lines for a long duration of the film.

Edited by SLAM!

Freaks

Freaks Poster

Number of lists: 4

Year: 1932

Director: Tod Browning

Average position: 35.8

A film so shocking that the original version was banned and is no longer available, and all we have left is the censored version with 26 of its 90 minute runtime removed.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 8

Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans

Sunrise Poster

Year: 1927

Director: F.W. Mornau

Average position: 37.3

The film that sort of co-won the first Oscars but became unrecognised after the fact, and was one of the first to use Sound on film technology. This film has stood the test of time better than its co-winner, Wings didn't even get a single vote.

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Just realized I forgot Wild Strawberries and Through a Glass Darkly

That's too bad, Wild Strawberries was only 3 points from making this list...

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Tower said:

The film that sort of co-won the first Oscars but became unrecognised after the fact, and was one of the first to use Sound on film technology. This film has stood the test of time better than its co-winner, Wings didn't even get a single vote.

Yeah there was an award for "artistic achievement" or something like that. Also better remembered in the Sight & Sound poll.

• Like 1

A Hard Day's Night

A Hard Day's Night Poster

Year: 1964

Director: Richard Lester

Average position: 36

So apparently the Beatles starred in a non-documentary, I didn't even know that. But at least 3 people did, and that was enough for this list.

• Like 10

Eraserhead

Eraserhead Poster

Year: 1977

Director: David Lynch

Average position: 47

Hmm, a David Lynch film, I've seen two of those in my life. The great Elephant Man, and the what the fuck just happened Lost Highway. Maybe those who have seen this one could tell me which one this is more like.

• Like 9

Top Hat

Top Hat Poster

Year: 1935

Director: Mark Sandrich

Average position: 44

A film that not only have I not seen, but until people started voting for it, I hadn't even heard of. But what I definitely had heard many times is Cheek to Cheek, which originates with this film and gives it lasting legacy beyond apparently being a good film in its own right.

• Like 10

Man With A Movie Camera

Man with a Movie Camera Poster

Year: 1929

Director: Dziga Vertov

Average position: 42.5

The second Soviet film on this list brings this documentary that Sergei Eisenstein, the director of the the first one called "pointless camera hooliganism". Vertov himself wanted to abolish all non documentaries, and while he completely failed in that goal, he has at least become well recognised in his own genre.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

Man With A Movie Camera

The second Soviet film on this list brings this documentary that Sergei Eisenstein, the director of the the first one called "pointless camera hooliganism". Vertov himself wanted to abolish all non documentaries, and while he completely failed in that goal, he has at least become well recognised in his own genre.

Up yours Eisenstein! This movie rules. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tower said:

Top Hat

Top Hat Poster

Year: 1935

Director: Mark Sandrich

Average position: 44

A film that not only have I not seen, but until people started voting for it, I hadn't even heard of. But what I definitely had heard many times is Cheek to Cheek, which originates with this film and gives it lasting legacy beyond apparently being a good film in its own right.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 3