cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

12 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I wouldn't say that.

Less than 1/4th overall and 1/3 top critics on RT & MC

Spirited Away:

RT: All Critics:    96%/ 8.6 (220 critics)

RT: Top Critics:  98%/ 8.8 (62 critics)

Metacritic: 96 (41 critics)

Boy & The Heron:

All Critics:   100%/ 8.6 (51 critics)

Top Critics:  100%/9.3 (24 critics)

Metacritic: 89 (18 critics)

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Meta is a pretty irrelevant comparison from that long ago, but yeah you’re right, it’s more just top critics. I’d be surprised to see the top critic dip down to Spirted’s considering how many have already chimed in. 

Yeah Miyazaki's reputation has evolved in the last 20 years...

I mean even movies like Mulholland Drive or In the Mood for Love might be considered all time classics now but the reviews back when they were released were merely "really good".

Anyways this is the rotten tomatoes consensus:

Critics Consensus

Soulfully exploring thought-provoking themes through a beautifully animated lens, The Boy and the Heron is another Miyazaki masterpiece.

• Like 2

They really don't seem to be holding back with the film festivals, especially in US/Canada (at least 7 fests in NA). Seems like they're trying to build as much WOM as possible before the wide theatrical release. Most of these festivals have been selling out pretty immediately (here in Chicago it went to rush-only within like an hour and a half at most).

Previous festivals:

Toronto

San Sebastián

New York (premiered yesterday, 2nd screening today)

Upcoming festivals:

Vancouver

London

Mill Valley (California)

Chicago

Animation is Film Festival (Los Angeles)

Ghent

Hawai'i

Imagine Fantastic Film Festival (Amsterdam)

I've probably missed some.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:57 AM, harrisonisdead said:

They really don't seem to be holding back with the film festivals, especially in US/Canada (at least 7 fests in NA). Seems like they're trying to build as much WOM as possible before the wide theatrical release. Most of these festivals have been selling out pretty immediately (here in Chicago it went to rush-only within like an hour and a half at most).

Previous festivals:

Toronto

San Sebastián

New York (premiered yesterday, 2nd screening today)

Upcoming festivals:

Vancouver

London

Mill Valley (California)

Chicago

Animation is Film Festival (Los Angeles)

Ghent

Hawai'i

Imagine Fantastic Film Festival (Amsterdam)

I've probably missed some.

Actually the festival circuit push is quite on the level with TWR and Kaguya. It definitely felt stronger compared to Marnie, Mirai, Weathering with you and Belle but it still isn't an unprecedented push by GKIDS. 

Heron is coming to Taiwan tomorrow. As the first overseas country to have general wide release, Taiwan as usual, is the key market for Japanese film. Surprisingly none of the Miyazaki movie has ever break NT100m in Taiwan but that doesn't mean much since the appreciation of Japanese anime in cinema only accelerated in in recent years. The highest Miyazaki's movie was Howl's moving Castle (NT95m) and SA was at NT74m. 

1. Demon slayer Mugen Train : NT635m

2. The First Slam Dunk: NT457m

3. Suzume: NT252m

4. You Name: NT250m

5. Jujutsu Kaisen 0: NT232m

Shinkai has 3 movies in top 10, and Detective Conan is doing strong at the bottom half of the top 10. 

Edited by titanic2187

It really feels like this one lit a fire under him for inspiration, which makes me more excited it really is amazing since that’s pretty much what happened with him when he made Mononoke. We just got this epic immaculate trilogy of works from him like his ideas and creativity were just raining out of the sky. 

Local film fest is showing this next week but its being shown in one of the further away theaters. Either I take train for 2 hrs to get there or take a 35 minute uber (which would cost me $90+ to get there and back). And I might not even get tix since ticket sales are at rush rn. Really annoying that's its so close but so far.