cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

2 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Down to 900 theaters, which is rough, but on the bright side, that's about as wide as the previous widest Miyazaki film 😅

the unfortunate part is at these 900 theaters it seems to be mostly down to 2 shows a day

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

the unfortunate part is at these 900 theaters it seems to be mostly down to 2 shows a day

Yeahh it seems like everywhere near me is 1 or 2 showings, if they're still showing it at all. It's unfortunate, I wanted to catch it in theaters again (I saw it in October and haven't gotten around to rewatching it yet) but both my go-to theater and my backup stopped showing it over the weekend, so I have less motivation to trek out to further theaters.

Now I really want it to win the oscar, in hopes of it getting a box office victory lap in the spring.

Interestingly, this and Godzilla Minus One had almost identical Christmas grosses down to the thousand ($719k apiece) despite this being in less than half as many theaters. It's pretty wild that Godzilla managed to hold onto nearly 2000 theaters.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Down to 900 theaters, which is rough, but on the bright side, that's about as wide as the previous widest Miyazaki film 😅

It is not uncommon a holdover lose so much screen over Christmas weekend but reclaim some locations by New year weekend. GKIDS is still promoting this movie. This is their first 10m, 20m and 30m. As for Ghibli, there is solid chance for Heron to double Arriety.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That will be in freaking March tho

Yeah, it would have to get a re-release at that point.

I also think this definitely deserves the award. AtSV for all its strengths is simply far too much of an incomplete part 1. Give all the awards to BtSV instead (assuming it delivers). 

GKIDS's release of Studio Ghibli's The Boy and the Heron grossed $837K on Wednesday (from 900 locations). Total domestic gross stands at $32.62M.

Good news. 

Interesting that it's Wednesday gross isn't much of a drop at all from when it had over 2000 screens. How could this be?

Last Thursday it made $896,111 from 2,325 screens, this Wednesday 837k from 900. It is holding really well. I hope it can still make it past 35 mil, is 40 mil still possible?

How many screens will it have for the weekend? Can it hold 900 or will more screens be taken?

Edited by tarabeesley

14 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw today finally and yeah it is wonderful. didn't have an anti-climactic ending like some of miyazaki's movies do. Thought it all came together beautifully.

haha some people disagree though. Not me. I like the ending and pretty much all of the movie.

25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

haha some people disagree though. Not me. I like the ending and pretty much all of the movie.

I spent a lot of it like "this is cool but where are they going with this". but then I thought it tied together and reached an emotional apex. some of his movies show you a cool fantasy world and then just go like "ok time to go bye" at the end. didn't feel that here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

I spent a lot of it like "this is cool but where are they going with this". but then I thought it tied together and reached an emotional apex. some of his movies show you a cool fantasy world and then just go like "ok time to go bye" at the end. didn't feel that here.

It is his best film next to or slightly behind Spirited Away. I might be in the minority but I found Mononoke to be too unrelatable and incomprehensible. I found Kiki and Totoro to be slightly too childish. Howl's Moving Castle was beautiful but the plot was all over the place with little reason to care. 

Edited by tarabeesley
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

It is his best film next to or slightly behind Spirited Away. I might be in the minority but I found Mononoke to be too unrelatable and incomprehensible. I found Kiki and Totoro to be slightly too childish. Howl's Moving Castle was beautiful but the plot was all over the place with little reason to care. 

I'm with you on Mononoke and Howl's. don't vibe with either of those. I do hold Porco Rosso in high regard as his most purely entertaining film.