cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

How much do we think the huge loss of holiday screens actually hurt the total? I was upset about it too, but given how good the per theater average holds have been, I suspect a lot of the people that wanted to see it still found a way. Breezing past $40 million despite losing most of its screens when it did is pretty remarkable

That said, feel free to re-expand in the winter dead zone! 

Edited by MisterLibby
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, MisterLibby said:

How much do we think the huge loss of holiday screens actually hurt the total? I was upset about it too, but given how good the per theater average holds have been, I suspect a lot of the people that wanted to see it still found a way. Breezing past $40 million despite losing most of its screens when it did is pretty remarkable

That said, feel free to re-expand in the winter dead zone! 

I just need 43.8m, it’s way too close to top 3 anime box office status to miss now 

This should be hitting a 3x multiplier within the next few days (assuming its theater count didn't get kneecapped again), which I think would be a first for an anime with a 1000+ theater wide release.

Special mention to Arrietty, which just barely missed it with 2.98x, and Ponyo, which hit 4.3x but had slightly fewer than 1000 theaters. (Disney really should have pushed that one wider...)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

BTW, who took the award? I haven't seen the Globes live? (⁠っ⁠˘̩⁠╭⁠╮⁠˘̩⁠)⁠っ

I'm not watching live either, I wonder if Joe Hisaishi isn't there? He has a concert in the USA this Friday. But maybe the Golden Globes aren't worth extending his stay for.

• Like 1

Movies that have won the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature but lost the Oscar:

• The Adventures of Tintin (wasn't even nominated for the Oscar, because the Academy doesn't allow motion capture films)
  • Missing Link
  • Cars
  • How To Train Your Dragon 2

76% of GG's picks for animated feature have gone on to win the Oscar, so this does raise The Boy and the Heron's odds considerably. That said, it could very well be a HTTYD2 situation where GG goes with the popular runner-up in a tight race and the Oscars are swayed by the bias of precedent. But this is also the first anime (and non-American film in general) to win the Golden Globe, so it feels like some momentum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I think BAFTA doesn't have a chance but hopefully Oscar should go well!

WHAT A BIG WIN TODAY AT GLOBES! ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

wait why do you think it won't win at the BAFTAs

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Fortunately, an even better stat for Heron at the Oscars is the only sequels to ever win animated feature are named Toy Story.  

It also work in Heron favour because ATSV is a half movie. 

• Like 3