cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

5 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

I was browsing another forum and somebody mentioned that the slam dunk movie also went for a minimalist approach with regards to promotional material and seeing how successful that movie was (#15 all-time in the country) Suzuki decided to try the same approach. Is this correct @Issac Newton?

SLAM DUNK atleast has a trailer 30 days before release and casting details. Other information was quite limited and merchandise are exclusive limited. Even, in China, they block company from making any toys. Director just want people to know the work by watching the film not by toys and merchandise. A strategy that work well extremely in East Asia (China was a bit limited because of age gap) but failed hard in South East Countries except Philippines where SLAM DUNK became the new ATG in Anime.

I don't know but limiting marketing will make it failed in Western Sphere because "How Do You Live?" is a Original Film not a Manga Adaptation that will work without much marketing. Wonder what they will do in future should be totally dependent on present results. Anyways, this Suzuki is corrupted person and that's a big worry for the company.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joel M said:

wow, the wind rises was a loss? It didn't do as high as his fantasy themed movies but still did over 100m just in Japan. Like how big was that budget for the movie to be a loss?

Budget was unimaginable high. Break Even is at $200M (but grossed closer to $140M WW) I think we can called it a theatrical loss, then limited by no profit with physical copies (BD &DVD). Maybe with streaming service, entered Profit zone.

"How Do You Live?" gonna be another beast in budget because of long years of production and I doubt (even if I don't want) could be another loss if the film doesn't enter $250M+ WW. I guess that's why they are going with no marketing strategy so break-even will be lowered 

• Like 2

Pre-sales will go live on July 11 24:00 (Except 109 Cinema coming a day earlier)

About Schedules, the earliest one we are getting in 2-Days for TOHO Cinemas &Rest around the same time as Pre-sales start windows (Members might access the window 3 hours earlier but for all, window opens at 24:00)

Fz-66n0a-QAAL3t-G.jpg

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Budget was unimaginable high. Break Even is at $200M (but grossed closer to $140M WW) I think we can called it a theatrical loss, then limited by no profit with physical copies (BD &DVD). Maybe with streaming service, entered Profit zone.

Ofc he earned it, but that's absolutely nuts considering his movies even at his peak were never even wide released in most of the western markets. 

I feel like Miyazaki's comments are being overblown. It's not like Miyazaki came out publicly against the studio's decision, we're only hearing his reaction through Suzuki's paraphrasing. We haven't even heard anything directly from Miyazaki's mouth on the matter.

There have certainly been disagreements and friction between Miyazaki and Suzuki over the years, as is bound to happen between a director and producer/studio, even ones that have worked together for decades and clearly have some mutual trust. But this in particular doesn't seem like some big drama to me.

Just now, harrisonisdead said:

I feel like Miyazaki's comments are being overblown. It's not like Miyazaki came out publicly against the studio's decision, we're only hearing his reaction through Suzuki's paraphrasing. We haven't even heard anything directly from Miyazaki's mouth on the matter.

There have certainly been disagreements and friction between Miyazaki and Suzuki over the years, as is bound to happen between a director and producer/studio, even ones that have worked together for decades and clearly have some mutual trust. But this in particular doesn't seem like some big drama to me.

Maybe it's just free publicity. Make it out like there's massive infighting at Ghibli to draw eyes on the new movie?

23 hours ago, Joel M said:

wow, the wind rises was a loss? It didn't do as high as his fantasy themed movies but still did over 100m just in Japan. Like how big was that budget for the movie to be a loss?

'The Wind RIses" did not do as well overseas as other Ghili films due to a mixed critical reception. Inow the film has it fanboys, but I still think that maybe the guy who designed the Zero fighter was not the best person to build an animated film around.

Real problem is that Jiro is portrayed as idealistic to the point where he comes off like an fool at times. He is brillaint aeronatuical designer, but does not know his design is going to be  a fighter. That just does not make sense.

Of course in  real life Jiro knew exactly what he had been hired to design. After the war, he even co wrote a history of the Zero figther, which is a standard work for the Pacific war from the Japanese point of view.

18 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

SLAM DUNK atleast has a trailer 30 days before release and casting details. Other information was quite limited and merchandise are exclusive limited. Even, in China, they block company from making any toys. Director just want people to know the work by watching the film not by toys and merchandise. A strategy that work well extremely in East Asia (China was a bit limited because of age gap) but failed hard in South East Countries except Philippines where SLAM DUNK became the new ATG in Anime.

I don't know but limiting marketing will make it failed in Western Sphere because "How Do You Live?" is a Original Film not a Manga Adaptation that will work without much marketing. Wonder what they will do in future should be totally dependent on present results. Anyways, this Suzuki is corrupted person and that's a big worry for the company.

Can't it marketed for Western markets after the Japanese release since the 'surprise' element will be over anyway?

3 hours ago, Bobzaruni said:

Can't it marketed for Western markets after the Japanese release since the 'surprise' element will be over anyway?

It's up to them. But, using SLAM DUNK example, for sure, things doesn't work same outside East Asia.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:19 PM, dudalb said:

'The Wind RIses" did not do as well overseas as other Ghili films due to a mixed critical reception. Inow the film has it fanboys, but I still think that maybe the guy who designed the Zero fighter was not the best person to build an animated film around.

Real problem is that Jiro is portrayed as idealistic to the point where he comes off like an fool at times. He is brillaint aeronatuical designer, but does not know his design is going to be  a fighter. That just does not make sense.

Of course in  real life Jiro knew exactly what he had been hired to design. After the war, he even co wrote a history of the Zero figther, which is a standard work for the Pacific war from the Japanese point of view.

The problem with TWR is it’s not high fantasy. You can’t just have Miyazaki throw one fantasy masterpiece after the other at everyone for decades and then go out on something that is essentially just an “inspired by true events” biopic. When has that ever even worked well for any animation commercially anyways? And yeah, TWR incorporates a bit of fantasy, but it’s super super lightweight there. It does not feel like Miyazaki. Only did as well as it did on his name alone, no doubt. 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:48 AM, Issac Newton said:

Pre-sales will go live on July 11 24:00 (Except 109 Cinema coming a day earlier)

About Schedules, the earliest one we are getting in 2-Days for TOHO Cinemas &Rest around the same time as Pre-sales start windows (Members might access the window 3 hours earlier but for all, window opens at 24:00)

Fz-66n0a-QAAL3t-G.jpg

TOHO Schedule update is on 11 July, 2023. A typo mistake in user end. -

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

It should break "Demon Slayer: Mugen Train" EIRIN Social meter (Like &Retweet) as there is literally nothing about "How Do You Live?" except poster, ratings (Cinema City will update about 1st Day schedule on Sunday 

PG12-interview-1-1.jpg

PG12-interview-1-2.jpg