cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Sure, but that's about late reveals. Not no reveals.

The so-called hunger marketing is likely only for Japan, where actually a release date + movie name + director name are enough to market a movie. The international distributor or USA distributor will likely release a trailer afterward by themselves, coupled by multiple screenings during film festival perhaps.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

coupled by multiple screenings during film festival perhaps.  

Not going to festivals at the moment. Definitely won't be at Venice.

Maybe Toronto though. Don't think Hayao Miyazaki will travel there though.

But Suzuki said that modern film promotions leave too little to the imagination.

Suzuki: Really, it’s an issue of over-supply. From the perspective of the viewer, it’s like they’re taking away all the truly interesting parts. So, since it’s come to this, I thought we should just go with a single poster.”

Previously, it was suggested that the real-life book would be a source of inspiration in-world for the main character Miyazaki’s film. But Suzuki says otherwise. “They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.” He explains that Miyazaki was reading the book back in 2016, and fell in love with the title – not the content of the novel.

https://unseenjapan.com/ghibli-president-says-no-trailers-for-new-miyazaki-film/

So nobody truly knows what the movie is about, even the people who read the book (for nothing lol)

This could really backfire, I'm not sure if many people know that this movie is even coming out since it's been a decade since Miyazaki's last movie. The last Ghibli movie, Earwig and the Witch, was a universally reviled movie that flopped. Unless they plan to plaster that one vague poster on every nook and cranny of Japan.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Royce said:

But Suzuki said that modern film promotions leave too little to the imagination.

Suzuki: Really, it’s an issue of over-supply. From the perspective of the viewer, it’s like they’re taking away all the truly interesting parts. So, since it’s come to this, I thought we should just go with a single poster.”

Previously, it was suggested that the real-life book would be a source of inspiration in-world for the main character Miyazaki’s film. But Suzuki says otherwise. “They have absolutely nothing to do with each other.” He explains that Miyazaki was reading the book back in 2016, and fell in love with the title – not the content of the novel.

https://unseenjapan.com/ghibli-president-says-no-trailers-for-new-miyazaki-film/

So nobody truly knows what the movie is about, even the people who read the book (for nothing lol)

This could really backfire, I'm not sure if many people know that this movie is even coming out since it's been a decade since Miyazaki's last movie. The last Ghibli movie, Earwig and the Witch, was a universally reviled movie that flopped. Unless they plan to plaster that one vague poster on every nook and cranny of Japan.

Japan's relationship with Miyazaki is quite different from the rest of the world's relationship to Miyazaki.

I think this is a bold idea to market the movie.

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Huh?

Even film like Sword Art Online is getting IMAX why won't Miyazaki Film won't get? I am a bit of surprise to your point.

Well they've never been in IMAX before... no Miyazaki, not even The Wind Rises have been in IMAX

Films will absolutely get IMAX and even 4D and dolby probably. If Suzume gets premium screens I don't see why this one wouldn't. Though won't keep them too long since i guess MI/oppy will demand them too. Sort of like how suzume and slam dunk conceded their premium screens to avatar.

Edited by JustLurking

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Films will absolutely get IMAX and even 4D and dolby probably. If Suzume gets premium screens I don't see why this one wouldn't. Though won't keep them too long since i guess MI/oppy will demand them too. Sort of like how suzume and slam dunk conceded their premium screens to avatar.

Oppenheimer doesn't have a release date in Japan yet I don't think. It's not going to be there in July in Japan.

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning I think is released in Japan on the 21st of July, a week after the Miyazaki movie...

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oppenheimer doesn't have a release date in Japan yet I don't think. It's not going to be there in July in Japan.

Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning I think is released in Japan on the 21st of July, a week after the Miyazaki movie...

Sure oppy will probably be august if I had to guess. But will take what's left of IMAX for HDYL probably. Don't think MI will get ALL the PLFS.

So no marketing at all AND it’s not actually based on the book it’s named after and no one knows what it’s about?!? Wow, this is wild. I just want one more Miyazaki epic fantasy masterpiece for him to go out on. The Wind Rises ain’t it, hopefully this is in the vein and somehow on the level of his trinity (Mononoke, Spirited, Howl’s) 

Just now, XXRptimus Primal said:

I’m gonna predict ¥18.5B for this in Japan. Hopefully at least $350M WW.

I think anything between ¥10-20 billion is reasonable to expect.

But since it's Miyazaki you never know...

And Japan is known for having movie with unexpectedly long legs.

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think anything between ¥10-20 billion is reasonable to expect.

But since it's Miyazaki you never know...

And Japan is known for having movie with unexpectedly long legs.

I don't see why this couldn't beat One Piece Red in Japan (¥19.7 billion) as long as it's more universally appealing than something like The Wind Rises. As the final Miyazaki film (for real this time), I think it will bring in that older demographic that rarely goes to theaters. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

as long as it's more universally appealing than something like The Wind Rises.

that's a big assumption given that we don't know hardly anything about this movie.

Also there was Ponyo, which did ¥15.5 billion...