cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

This is a truly bold marketing campaign, and I love it, especially if this truly is Miyazaki's last film. It probably is because of his age. Has there ever been a film by a big name director where all they give is a title and the directors name? Anyone know how this is tracking in Japan, and if the numbers are good or bad?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

This is a truly bold marketing campaign, and I love it, especially if this truly is Miyazaki's last film. It probably is because of his age. Has there ever been a film by a big name director where all they give is a title and the directors name? Anyone know how this is tracking in Japan, and if the numbers are good or bad?

PS doesn't start until 48 hrs before Opening Day. So, basically there is no hint on how good it will be doing before PS starts.

On 6/24/2023 at 9:53 AM, Issac Newton said:

PS doesn't start until 48 hrs before Opening Day. So, basically there is no hint on how good it will be doing before PS starts.

Good lord that's insane. One of the most fascinating opening weekend's we're ever going to have right here. 

Isn't Suzuki the same man who reportedly used the Ghibli company's money to fund his gf's endeavors? I'd be worried too

It's also believed that the former Ghibli president resigned because of that

It's pretty weird that it's the producer, not the director, who's pushing for absolute zero marketing or trailers

Every time I encounter someone online talking about watching Ghibli movies, they're always surprised when I say a new Ghibli movie is coming out next month

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So this Suzuki has always been an edgy contrarian

In 2019:

Suzuki revealed that he is often asked why Ghibli films aren't distributed on Netflix and other streaming sites. "I don't want to do it because the films would be treated as cheap commodities," he said.

More quotes from him:

"With regards to merchandise, we resolved not to make more than 10 billion yen. If we surpassed that number, we would gather all the associating companies and berate the person in charge in front of the whole group." (uhh wtf?)

"A few years ago, I stopped attending the meetings. They started making more than 10 billion yen, and they kept it a secret from me. I got really mad about that. It's not okay to make the company big."

In 2020:

“I am still actually angry when we have really huge sales,” says Suzuki, who has a grandson he prefers doesn’t watch too many Ghibli films. I'm very opposed to children watching Totoro over and over.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

If this movie succeeds then maybe shinkai will do this for his next movie

Shinkai won't do that if He considered "Suzume" as failure. "The Wind Rises" was a big loss for the company that's why to reduce possibility of damage on "How Do You Live?" Could be a good decision or be bad we will know once open.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:23 AM, Issac Newton said:

Shinkai won't do that if He considered "Suzume" as failure. "The Wind Rises" was a big loss for the company that's why to reduce possibility of damage on "How Do You Live?" Could be a good decision or be bad we will know once open.

wow, the wind rises was a loss? It didn't do as high as his fantasy themed movies but still did over 100m just in Japan. Like how big was that budget for the movie to be a loss?

Hmm, this drama over whether or not Miyazaki is upset/concerned over the marketing tactic is certainly interesting. I honestly would have thought the whole thing was his idea, it just feels like SUCH a Miyazaki move to give no f’s at this stage (like his “lol… no thx, peace” to his Oscar attention for Spirited back in the day). 

Anyways, it’s gonna be huge in Japan if they like it. How could it not? It’s only if their reaction to it is tepid that this marketing tactic is going to look really bad and backfire.