cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Really curious about how it will be once it opens, i mean, they have to drop something after a few days, especially for foreign countries that will probably receive the movie in 3 months or so

I feel at this point, if the movie hits in Japan they should just keep hiding it a little more. 

• Like 1

"How Do You Live – No Spoilers Campaign

Typically, for many movies in Japan, theaters will often have a program that movie-goers can purchase, along with merchandise from the movie in a gift shop. For How Do You Live, however, Ghibli is bypassing this tradition by instead offering patrons nothing to purchase to keep the film under wraps."

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/studio-ghibli-how-do-you-live-no-spoilers-promo/

Absolutely no spoilers! I wonder if online reactions and descriptions will also be forbidden (but will the fans follow?)

Just now, Royce said:

"How Do You Live – No Spoilers Campaign

Typically, for many movies in Japan, theaters will often have a program that movie-goers can purchase, along with merchandise from the movie in a gift shop. For How Do You Live, however, Ghibli is bypassing this tradition by instead offering patrons nothing to purchase to keep the film under wraps."

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/studio-ghibli-how-do-you-live-no-spoilers-promo/

Absolutely no spoilers! I wonder if online reactions and descriptions will also be forbidden (but will the fans follow?)

This is so wild. I sincerely hope that nothing about the film gets out before it comes here and I see it.

RE: The Wind Rises - it was critically acclaimed and did way better commercially than an animated biopic had any right to do (i.e. not “mixed”) but it has never stood up to Miyazaki’s legacy compared to his other Ghibli efforts. I don’t know anyone who mentions or thinks of that film when Miyazaki is brought up. It lacks the sense of wonder, awe and amazement he became a legend for in the first place. It wasn’t a fitting send off to his catalog, and I fully believe he thought this too in hindsight and it was his main motivation for wanting to do one more film (along with creative inspo obviously, which I doubt he’s ever that short of). 

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

The one thing I'm interested in is if Miyazaki changed the animation style for this one, the same way Takahata did for his final film.

I have been wondering as well ever since the poster. Either the answer is yes and it looks like this is going for a bit of a Princess Kaguya water painting type of look or that poster is merely concept art. 

• Like 1

I know for a fact that my eyes are gonna be peeled on Twitter and Letterboxd for the next day or so to see if any reactions pop up. Honestly, any crumbs about what this is all about will suffice me.

Edited by Rorschach

2 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

I know for a fact that my eyes are gonna be peeled on Twitter and Letterboxd for the next day or so to see if any reactions pop up. Honestly, any crumbs about what this is all about will suffice me.

I'm treading carefully, I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I want to go into this thing as blind as possible.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

I'm treading carefully, I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I want to go into this thing as blind as possible.

Understandable. For me, at least, it’s more just a burning curiosity to get the general gist of what it’s about, and nothing too far beyond that…

…aside from finding out if audiences dig or not.

• Like 1

Just now, cannastop said:

wait really?

Even in North America?

Present Situation is Outside Asia, Japanese Film are distributed by Sony and within Asia we could pull numbers from East but untraceable SEA still relays on ComScore - This time, Warner Bros distributed Suzume in Thailand &Philippines &Universal also participate in Europe and LATAM Distribution.

But, case is that Inuoe still gave rights to independent distributor for SLAM DUNK like GKIDS in North &Konnichiwa in South America 

So, I guess it's either going to be Sony/GKIDs for North America. No worries for me but box office numbers will arrive late if distributed by independent party rather than Sony (which get covered by Deadline &Shawn)

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

If Disney gets How Do You Live that would be very, very interesting.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah I doubt DIsney wants to get back in the Ghibli game

If they want Oscar they would but unlikely

Given with ATSV &BTSV

So, will be within Sony/Disney/GKIDS (Among which I think Sony has fare more chance until Suzuki mess up by selling it to GKIDS)