cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

FRI is just a normal Weekday. Wonder how big will SAT Jump from FRI once trailer drops. 

It's so annoying that WKend Frame now incl. FRI

I dunno if there will actually be a Japanese trailer... I just assume there will be a Chinese or Korean one.

I mean - only 2 miyazaki films actually outgrossed OPRed, and if you don't include the re-release, I think even Mononoke falls below, leaving only Spirited Away above it, so I don't see why it would be a foregone conclusion for it to go that high

That said I have a good feeling about this one

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean - only 2 miyazaki films actually outgrossed OPRed, and if you don't include the re-release, I think even Mononoke falls below, leaving only Spirited Away above it, so I don't see why it would be a foregone conclusion for it to go that high

That said I have a good feeling about this one

It just feels like there's been a resurgence in anime popularity in recent years with several franchises hitting record peaks far above what was the norm the previous decade or two. When Miyazaki retired previously, no other anime film besides those he directed had even crossed  ¥10 billion. Now, it's not uncommon to have multiple a year across various franchises/directors/studios.

Just now, KP1025 said:

It just feels like there's been a resurgence in anime popularity in recent years with several franchises hitting record peaks far above what was the norm the previous decade or two. When Miyazaki retired previously, no other anime film besides those he directed had even crossed  ¥10 billion. Now, it's not uncommon to have multiple a year across various franchises/directors/studios.

I would say DS has largely shifted the paradigm, but so far the main benefactors have been films derived from existing franchises - I haven't seen this huge popoff in original films

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

that's a big assumption given that we don't know hardly anything about this movie.

Also there was Ponyo, which did ¥15.5 billion...

You're right, I was operating under a best case scenario where the film is a return to form for GA appeal rather than something that skews too old like The Wind Rises or a bit too young like Ponyo. That number is also factoring in a finale boost, as everyone knows this is certainly the last film Miyazaki will ever make. 

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I dunno if it's a resurgence of anime or of Japanese movie-going.

Japan had had an outsized animation industry for a long time.

For example in the 90s, Ghibli had a streak of #1 movies at the box office...

I would say that China and Korea have found new love for Japanese animation though.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I dunno if it's a resurgence of anime or of Japanese movie-going.

Japan had had an outsized animation industry for a long time.

For example in the 90s, Ghibli had a streak of #1 movies at the box office...

I would say that China and Korea have found new love for Japanese animation though.

in japan, since demon slayer came out and cracked the mainstream, the 10b grossers for local animated films has become much easier to achieve, we've seen 4 other manga based franchises, before demon slayer only miyazaki and shinkai had ever broken that barrier

• Like 1

Interested in how this turns out. I am, for various reason, not the biggest fan of Japanese Animation in general, but overall love  the work of Hayao Miyazaki. I hoped he would come out of retirement, since 'The Wind Rises was something of a misfire. Maybe the guy who designed the Zero fighter was not the best guy to build a animated movie around.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:47 PM, JustLurking said:

I would say DS has largely shifted the paradigm, but so far the main benefactors have been films derived from existing franchises - I haven't seen this huge popoff in original films

I'm not so sure about popping off, but I think anime growing in stature definitely helped Suzume to stay in a similar range to Weathering With You rather than dropping a lot from it. 

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

386 TC

I can't remember, is 386 theaters a lot for Japan?

edit:

I see most reports of Japanese box office go by screens, not number of theaters... so this seems like a good number.

Edited by cannastop

5 hours ago, cannastop said:

I can't remember, is 386 theaters a lot for Japan?

edit:

I see most reports of Japanese box office go by screens, not number of theaters... so this seems like a good number.

Yeah anything over 350 is optimal really, DS opened in 375 theaters and the record back then was 381, since then a couple films have opened over 400 and conan has the record at 500 but the difference is pretty irrelevant

On 6/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Issac Newton said:

Russian Distributor "Русский репортаж" has acquired the screening rights of Miyazaki's Final Film 

1st Major Japanese Film to release Post Feb 2022 (as JJK, OPR, Suzume didn't got released)

https://ria.ru/20230620/kino-1879312558.html

Russian "Kinopoisk" Want To See ~ 9 505

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/1071383/