cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

「野中くん発 ジブリだより」2023年7月号

https://www.ghibli.jp/info/013753/

まっさらな状態で映画を観て欲しいという思いから、今回、宣伝をほぼせず、情報もほとんど出さないできました。皆様、「君たちはどう生きるか」を、ぜひ劇場でご覧下さい。

Because I want people to watch the movie in a brand new state, I have done almost no publicity this time, and I have been able to release almost no information. Ladies and Gentlemen, please take a look at "How Do You Live?" at the theater.

— Hayao Miyazaki (10 July, 2023)

• Like 3

On 6/29/2023 at 10:23 PM, Issac Newton said:

Shinkai won't do that if He considered "Suzume" as failure. "The Wind Rises" was a big loss for the company that's why to reduce possibility of damage on "How Do You Live?" Could be a good decision or be bad we will know once open.

Depends on how good "How Do You Live" is, really.

I am convinced that one reason Miyazaki returned to filmmaking was that he knew the 'The Wind Rises" got a very mixed reception, and wanted a much more solid acheivement for his final film.

I wonder if this will be a pure fantasy like most of Mitazaki;s previous films; "The Wind Rises" he attempt to be more realistic, was ,well, problematic. I think that maybe the guy who designed the Zero fighter was not a great choice to build an animated movie about.

And maybe Miyazaki knows his silence on the film in Japan is getting more attention and discussion then a contentional publicity campaign would have gotten. He is much shrewer businessman then he likes to let on.

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

And maybe Miyazaki knows his silence on the film in Japan is getting more attention and discussion then a contentional publicity campaign would have gotten. He is much shrewer businessman then he likes to let on.

umm nah mate a shrewd businessman is the last thing I would say to describe him, having seen all of his documentaries and behind the scene featurettes 

He's just a highly successful grumpy grandpa 
If he had a shrewd businesslike bone in his body then he wouldn't even have made a movie like the wind rises or porco russo 

Edited by handofjustice
  • Like 2

FWIW, theaters are being cautious on this one, atleast the ones that have their slate out. It's getting the biggest screens and all, of course, but it's definitely not playing as wide as recent giant openers. Probably won't be needed for it to, either.

Edited by JustLurking

It´s so insane that this is actually releasing in 3 days and they actually didn´t regret and reverse the decision of non-marketing 

Really curious about how it will be once it opens, i mean, they have to drop something after a few days, especially for foreign countries that will probably receive the movie in 3 months or so

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Depends on how good "How Do You Live" is, really.

I am convinced that one reason Miyazaki returned to filmmaking was that he knew the 'The Wind Rises" got a very mixed reception, and wanted a much more solid acheivement for his final film.

I wonder if this will be a pure fantasy like most of Mitazaki;s previous films; "The Wind Rises" he attempt to be more realistic, was ,well, problematic. I think that maybe the guy who designed the Zero fighter was not a great choice to build an animated movie about.

So less than his usual near universal acclaim means very mixed?  Wind Rises got great reviews even if it some found it controversial.   It's a marvelous piece of film making and animation.

I think he was tired of the rat race of making movies but found he still wanted and needed to create.  He took his time and he didn't have added pressure of Exec producing and screenwriting other films as well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So less than his usual near universal acclaim means very mixed?  Wind Rises got great reviews even if it some found it controversial.   It's a marvelous piece of film making and animation.

I think he was tired of the rat race of making movies but found he still wanted and needed to create.  He took his time and he didn't have added pressure of Exec producing and screenwriting other films as well.

Look at what happened to Indy V and how it had to pay for the sins of Indy IV......... Indy IV got great reviews even if some found it controversial too. I am concern that this new movie will have to pay for the sins of The Wind Rises.  Hayao Miyazaki was supposed to be a God and everything he touches is supposed to be gold, it just takes that one clink in the armor for the mojo aura to be defeated.

Under normal circumstances I am sure there's no shortage of people in Japan who would love to see one more Miyazaki film, but this whole no marketing bullshit has me nervous. I am just not sure if Miyazaki still has the pull he used to have for this to work. The anime film market has changed vastly from what it was 10 years ago.

Edited by scytheavatar

In what world is The Wind Rises controversial???? Had a pretty similar reception to his two films before it (if anything, I'd even say Ponyo might've been a bit more controversial). The worst thing you could say about it is that its subject matter is kinda dry compared to other Miyazaki films.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

Look at what happened to Indy V and how it had to pay for the sins of Indy IV......... Indy IV got great reviews even if some found it controversial too. I am concern that this new movie will have to pay for the sins of The Wind Rises.  Hayao Miyazaki was supposed to be a God and everything he touches is supposed to be gold, it just takes that one clink in the armor for the mojo aura to be defeated.

Under normal circumstances I am sure there's no shortage of people in Japan who would love to see one more Miyazaki film, but this whole no marketing bullshit has me nervous. I am just not sure if Miyazaki still has the pull he used to have for this to work. The anime film market has changed vastly from what it was 10 years ago.

Mate it literally won the highest honor for an animation film at the japanese version of the academy awards, all its reviews and ratings by notable media sources and audience websites are on par with most of miyazaki's movies
also don't know how you can compare indiana jones 4 with its 65 metascore to an 80+ score 

It literally beat freaking princess kaguya, gintama, steins gate etc etc etc, it was an extremely strong year and it came on top 

I don't know the  basis for your contrarian opinion

Edited by handofjustice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Also pretty important to note that The Wind Rises only got some negative publicity in Japan cause it was attacked by conservatives over there for being perceived as "anti-Japan" and then Miyazaki responded by... basically saying "yeah it is lmao" and publishing an essay condemning the right-wing political parties' attempts to remilitarize.

Power moves imo but it's clear that the criticism in Japan was moreso a political thing, not an actual quality thing. Probably a hot take but Wind Rises is easily one of his best and it's a perfect representation of the themes and ideas he had been building to over his career. Miyazaki clearly doesn't care about reception either cause he really only came back to do How Do You Live? cause he found a story worth telling.

• Like 2