Eric Furiosa

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

33 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

There's probably a reason Dwayne Johnson goes by Dwayne Johnson now, for example... Or why Mos Def changed his credit to Yasiin Bey as he shifted to acting primarily... Or why Donald Glover doesn't star in movies as Childish Gambino.

"Awkwafina" was never a good name. That was kind of the point, she started out as a joke rapper... And it was an ironically bad joke in the first place... the idea that she's going to break out as a serious actor with a purposefully bad misspelling of a popular bottled water brand as her name is a pretty silly one... and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts getting cast in follow-up roles as "Nora," which is reportedly what she's called by everyone anyway...

This isn't like Ice Cube or Ice T, who are fine in genre stuff... It's going to be jarring if she goes up for what would be her "Erin Brockovich" and the producers have to put her old dumb joke rapper name on the posters and in the trailers... eventually its going to become a bigger and bigger distraction and people will ask why she's still clinging to her parody name when its obvious she's outgrown it and it was never really a good idea in the first place...

Lady Gaga got nominated for a slew of acting awards and even won a few (Critics Choice, NBR) less than a year ago. There had been talk of her being billed as "Stefani Germanotta" for A Star Is Born early on, but they ultimately went with the better known stage name. And Lady Gaga was way more famous, with millions of fans around the world, the movie as a whole had a much higher profile, another A-List star in it and would have turned a profit even if she'd been starred as Stefani rather than Gaga.  And The Farewell is a much smaller movie in comparison, even if Awkwafina wanted to be Nora Lum for it, A24 might have had some objections. "We have this tiny movie mostly not in English and you want its somewhat famous selling point to go by a completely different name?"

It took a while for The Rock to become Dwayne Johnson as an actor, and people still call him by his wrestling name a lot, all these years later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tawasal said:

Her name doesn't sound as difficult as this Mahershalalhashbaz. 

I don't know though why movies stars choose stage names, I thought that was something only adult movie stars did. I get when they shorten names like that, but some change names that were fine to begin with, because it doesn't sound exotic enough. 

I think specially in the anglo-saxon world maybe most do choose a stage name, but it is a somewhat common practice overall even outside the star system, the Williams become Bill and so on, like Jay Baruchel is a "stage name", but would not surprise me much if he was not called Jonathan much before being a star.

2 hours ago, tawasal said:

but some change names that were fine to begin with, because it doesn't sound exotic enough.

Also sometime it is just that you cannot use the name of an previous actor, for example Emily Stone was totally fine but already registered at SAG, she went with Riley stone for a while then Emma Stone.

Edited by Barnack

28 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I know it's a silly stage name. What does it matter is the question, as you said it hasn't hurt her? 

Maybe the better question is why would you want to wait for it to hurt you before you did something about it? 

Her name is a purposefully bad misspelling of a bottled water brand. She picked that name as a joke because her whole rap "career" was an ironic joke.... she's suffered criticism specifically for this... if you look up "Awkafina" and "cultural appropriation" you're going to find a lot of think-pieces... 

Here's a weird comparison... it's like how "Grumpy Cat" became "Grumpy Cat" because the cat's real name, "Tard," was a bad joke based on how the cat looked "tarded." When the cat became a meme, the owners lied and said "Tard" was short for "Tardar Sauce," and people went along with it, until the internet decided "Grumpy Cat" was its real name, and so everyone went with that. 

At some point Awkafina is probably going to have to use her real name because eventually people are going to wonder why she's still sticking with that bad joke of a stage name for a career she doesn't even pursue anymore... The sooner she does it the sooner that part of her career becomes a footnote to her larger success, like how "Fresh Prince" is how most people first knew of Will Smith, but Will Smith isn't starring in "Gemini Man" as "The Fresh Prince." 

editing to add: Gaga is a great example of how a music-based stage name wouldn't be a hindrance, but I'd argue that Gaga was way bigger than Awkafina... or even The Fresh Prince... ever was as a recording artist, and that Lady Gaga doesn't have the weird baggage "Awkwafina" has, nor the weird origin story... But it's a VERY good point that A24 might have suggested sticking with the Awkwafina name for this movie because the size of the movie and the lack of the marketing budget in comparison to major studios...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I don't follow? What is the connection? 

Both are on 350M Dom and both are competing on the best multiper. AS had 89 opening weekend while Aladdin had 91 (116M 4 days opening)

Edited by Geo1500

On 8/4/2019 at 12:33 AM, Charlie Jatinder said:

$90mn is through Saturday. $28mn Friday. Shall do $37-39mn on Saturday and $30mn Sunday for $120mn weekend.

If it follows FF8 legs, will close OS-China at $325-350mn. Expecting $200-250mn in China. That will be $525-600mn, $170-195mn going to Universal Studios.

Domestic say it do $175mn, will give $90mn Approx.

So $260-285mn theatrical share for Universal Studios globally.

With $200mn budget and $400-450mn plus other cost, it will need $340-360mn from Home Video and TV revenue.

Furious 7 had $400mn Approx from these ancillaries. So basically it will be barely breaking even. 

According to deadline (for how good they can do):

As Anthony has noted, the spinoff cost $200M, and with P&A, $360M. A $600M worldwide box office for Hobbs & Shaw should put the pic at break-even during its home entertainment window. It is expected to be profitable.

(I guess when you are so China heavy you can need to triple your budget nowaday)

So yeah if they are right for that $600M break even point and if say 50% of the profit go to the stars, will be a limited profit.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Both are on 350M Dom and both are competing on the best multiper. AS had 89 opening weekend while Aladdin had 91 (116M 4 days opening)

But so what, how is that poetic justice? There are plenty of other movies that Aladdin has made much more than. 

@MovieMan89 you'd be better off NOT expecting Aladdin to get the LD boost - and then be pleasantly surprised if it does. Disney's multi-year history doesn't give it much room to stand on as the option, but then TS4 is also "performing" better than TS3 was at the same point and Lion King is still too new for it be the big push. Odd selection, but chances are its still Toy Story based on just precedent. Its not like getting to 360m+ and the 4x is a goal that Disney themselves have.

Rooting for it myself mind you - but just staring at the reality. Maybe we get a double or triple play again :D

On another note - I am watching how Lion King continues giving up it's lead over BATB. Now its under 40m.... its obviously going to pass it, barring some inexplicable box office down turn that we have no reason to foresee. Just interesting to me that it is losing ground especially on the weekend (difference in seasons being a part of course.) It should make up a good chunk on the weekdays, but I am worried now that 550m may actually be a stretch - something I didn't think was more than a passing discussion point for those of that were with Baumer... would much prefer it to be getting to 600m+ but that obviously isn't going to happen either. Weird box office as always.

Glad that Hollywood managed the 20m mark - hopefully it stays there once actuals come in. Sets up nicely to hit the 125-130m area just above what Basterds did a decade ago.

54 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Maybe the better question is why would you want to wait for it to hurt you before you did something about it? 

Her name is a purposefully bad misspelling of a bottled water brand. She picked that name as a joke because her whole rap "career" was an ironic joke.... she's suffered criticism specifically for this... if you look up "Awkafina" and "cultural appropriation" you're going to find a lot of think-pieces... 

Here's a weird comparison... it's like how "Grumpy Cat" became "Grumpy Cat" because the cat's real name, "Tard," was a bad joke based on how the cat looked "tarded." When the cat became a meme, the owners lied and said "Tard" was short for "Tardar Sauce," and people went along with it, until the internet decided "Grumpy Cat" was its real name, and so everyone went with that. 

At some point Awkafina is probably going to have to use her real name because eventually people are going to wonder why she's still sticking with that bad joke of a stage name for a career she doesn't even pursue anymore... The sooner she does it the sooner that part of her career becomes a footnote to her larger success, like how "Fresh Prince" is how most people first knew of Will Smith, but Will Smith isn't starring in "Gemini Man" as "The Fresh Prince." 

editing to add: Gaga is a great example of how a music-based stage name wouldn't be a hindrance, but I'd argue that Gaga was way bigger than Awkafina... or even The Fresh Prince... ever was as a recording artist, and that Lady Gaga doesn't have the weird baggage "Awkwafina" has, nor the weird origin story... But it's a VERY good point that A24 might have suggested sticking with the Awkwafina name for this movie because the size of the movie and the lack of the marketing budget in comparison to major studios...

I don't really know about her name history and her as you do, so I trust in what you are saying. And I know a lot of people have changed names before for some reason, but are we sure it was because those names somehow affected their career pursuit or was it just a reaction of safe than sorry? 

I agree about it being a silly stage name, I just don't know why we think it can hurt her in the future, if there is no precedent for it happening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tawasal said:

But so what, how is that poetic justice? There are plenty of other movies that Aladdin has made much more than. 

yeah, its a weird thing -makes no sense to me either. If AS had been #50 and Aladdin pushed it out today than maybe that is the justice? But thats not what happened. So yeah, its weird .

6 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I honestly don't have any other idea then that. Btw that post was an obvious troll post anyways. it could have meant gazillion things

Edited by Geo1500

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I think specially in the anglo-saxon world maybe most do choose a stage name, but it is a somewhat common practice overall even outside the star system, the Williams become Bill and so on, like Jay Baruchel is a "stage name", but would not surprise if he was not called Jonathan much before being a star.

Also sometime it is just that you cannot use the name of an previous actor, for example Emily Stone was totally fine but already registered at SAG, she went with Riley stone for a while then Emma Stone.

Yeah this is his full name. Jonathan Adam Saunders Baruchel 

What is wrong with Jonathan Baruchel? 

Also Brie Larson is a stage name, I love that girl, but what is wrong with Brianne Sidonie Desaulniers

It sounds exotic and french. 

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I honestly don't have any other idea then that. Btw that post was an obvious troll post anyways. it could have meant gazillion things

Yeah, It's two good runs that are so different. I like both box office runs and don't care how the movies were quality wise to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I mean Will Smith stopped going by The Fresh Prince. Mark Wahlberg isn't credited as Marky Mark anymore. It wasn't really a complaint, it's just a ridiculous stage name.

Wasn't he called Will Smith in the Fresh Prince of Bell Air? Yeah, that are a lot of stars that don't go by their other professions stage name anymore. 

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Gary Grant never would have been Cary Grant if he stayed named Archibald Leach.

You are acting like I said no one should change their names or that no has ever changed their names. Why am I getting so many suggestions of people that have changed their names?

I am only saying that why should she if it doesn't hurt her, and if there has been anyone that have had their chances diminished because of their other names.

The changes could have been precautionary measures for something that could happen, not necessary happen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

I think you mean original films doing well in 2019 is very niche. Us and OUATIH are the only 2 to top $75 million this year.

it was a joke, some people are days before the movie's release said it is a niche movie.