Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

yeah I didn't enjoy it that much unfortunately.

It does seem to have kicked off a spate of films getting confirmed release dates though which is good - Broken Hearts Gallery and The Roads Not Taken are the 11th September now, and I'm getting facebook ads for Wonder Woman so they're obviously pushing on with that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

$7.1m opening for Tenet 

I don’t know whether to say that’s impressive or scary given how that could result in a rise in infections...

Premium format sales must’ve been particularly strong as it never really seemed to take off in any 2D screenings near me.

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t know whether to say that’s impressive or scary given how that could result in a rise in infections...

Premium format sales must’ve been particularly strong as it never really seemed to take off in any 2D screenings near me.

The cinemas are doing a great job with social distancing. Especially in Scotland, 3 seats at either side and every second row closed. IMAX isn’t open here yet. 

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The cinemas are doing a great job with social distancing. Especially in Scotland, 3 seats at either side and every second row closed. IMAX isn’t open here yet. 

I wish England were doing the same. Every row is open in the major chain cinemas (because the virus apparently can’t travel forwards...) and it’s either one or two seats either side that are locked off depending on which chain you go to.

I saw a sold out seat map of the BFI IMAX the other day that looked utterly terrifying. One seat between customers, no rows blocked off, and anyone who’s been there can probably tell you horror stories of being kneed in the back for 2-3 hours because there’s so little room between seats. 

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I will be interested to see how Bill and Ted Face the Music does, Warner Bros clearly wants to do well as they pushed it from late August to mid September. 

Sadly I’ve seen a lot of people online who must be watching this today illegally. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Sadly I’ve seen a lot of people online who must be watching this today illegally. 

I know Tenet probably put them in a tough spot in terms of releasing Bill & Ted 3 day and date with the US, but I can see this having a weak performance in the UK because of it. They’d have been better off going the PVOD route with it I think.

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I know Tenet probably put them in a tough spot in terms of releasing Bill & Ted 3 day and date with the US, but I can see this having a weak performance in the UK because of it. They’d have been better off going the PVOD route with it I think.

Tenet not surprisingly is the bigger deal for WB whereas Bill and Ted was just something they're only distributing in the UK and probably aren't expecting it be a big moneymaker but with so few new releases, it might do okay by default.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Back in work today and 3 other colleagues hated it. So between family, friends and now work: I’ve officially not heard from anyone who’s liked Tenet so far. 

Interesting, opposite experience for me which I mentioned in the other thread.

Went with 2 other friends, all of us loved it. Know another friend who saw it and he liked it (not as much as us), then finally one random guy who snap chatted me that he thought it was OK after I posted myself seeing it on my story lol. I haven't met anyone who has disliked it personally.

• Like 1

UK box office was up 354% thanks to Tenet. 

£5.33m for Tenet (5 day)

Onward £185k (£6.65m)

Unhinged £112k (£1.21m)

100% Wolf £140k (£880k)

Pinocchio £80k (£500k)

New Mutants made £220k from Sat/Sun previews, which would’ve been enough for number 2. This seems impressive, it had 4 showings in the smallest screen at my local, us 4 were the only ones in.

More than 20% of all UK cinemas remain closed. 50% is the maximum capacity allowed in any one screen. Most are doing less. Especially here in Scotland, where there has to be a minimum of 3 empty seats on either side of every household and every second row is closed. 

source: ScreenDaily

Tenet was #1 again, falling -35%. 

That gross for After We Collided from 40 cinemas is really impressive, haven’t heard of that film. New Mutants includes previews from last weekend. 

1. Tenet, £2,151,490 from 613 sites. Total: £10,006,540 (2 weeks)
  2. The New Mutants, £686,407 from 538 sites (new)
  3. After We Collided, £254,771 from 40 sites (new)
  4. Onward, £135,669 from 456 sites. Total: £6,942,823 (27 weeks)
  5. Unhinged, £97,221 from 351 sites. Total: £1,436,244 (6 weeks)
  6. 100% Wolf, £96,970 from 455 sites. Total: £1,026,699 (6 weeks)
  7. Pinocchio, £56,928 from 366 sites. Total: £685,332 (3 weeks)
  8. Trolls World Tour £49,533 from 275 sites. Total: £762,929 (22 weeks)
  9. Black Panther, £48,334 from 239 sites. Total: £50,674,103 (134 weeks)
  10. Les Misérables, £48,090 from 130 sites (new)

Source: Charles Gant at Telegraph, who is moving to Screen Daily soon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's just not being shown in the major chains. Showcase is the main chain leading with it, and the cinema at Bluewater has more screens for it than New Mutants 

Launching film has it at 65k GBP. So yeah there's some numbers from UK too.

https://www.launchingfilms.com/current-top-15-films

Edited by charlie Jatinder