Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

23 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Im just going by social media comments and the friends that have seen it. One of whom loves everything he watches so for him to tell me to wait to watch it at home, Ill take his word for it

Its saturday may have increased but the OW is nothing special compared to older Batman movies

Social media is a bubble, comparatively all I’ve seen is people saying it’s worth seeing on the big screen. Doesn’t mean one opinion is more valid than the other, but maybe give it a chance yourself.

Comparing the opening to previous Batman films isn’t really a fair comparison though is it considering all previous Batman movies have been rated 12 or 12A theatrically (or even PG in the case of Batman & Robin). For a three hour movie to open this well with a 15 rating is excellent.

Edited by SnokesLegs

26 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Im just going by social media comments and the friends that have seen it. One of whom loves everything he watches so for him to tell me to wait to watch it at home, I’ll take his word for it

….Okay 

:wintf:

• ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, Heretic said:

It is… only TDKR and Batman v superman (which opened over Easter weekend and therefore was boosted by holidays) had a larger opening, and only by a very small amount (less than £1m in both cases) 

The UK opening relative to most other other markets is very impressive. 

TDKR and Batman V superman were the last 2 batman movies though, so its still a drop for the character. I guess I was just expecting more, especially when the likes of MOS opened almost as high 9 years ago. We've had a lot of inflation since, especially this year

29 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Social media is a bubble, comparatively all I’ve seen is people saying it’s worth seeing on the big screen. Doesn’t mean one opinion is more valid than the other, but maybe give it a chance yourself.

Comparing the opening to previous Batman films isn’t really a fair comparison though is it considering all previous Batman movies have been rated 12 or 12A theatrically (or even PG in the case of Batman & Robin). For a three hour movie to open this well with a 15 rating is excellent.

Ill give it a go myself on digital (i have oled now so this movie should look great on it) Problem is, i now have a child which makes me very picky on what i watch in cinemas and most of the comments ive seen state its good but overlong, many comparing this to thrillers like Seven so it doesnt scream like a Cinema job to me.

13m is impressive, but not for Batman, it's pretty standard to me. Even deadpool (15 rating) opened higher and hes not the most popular superhero out there like The Batman (granted it was a 5 day opening). Deadpool and Logan being among the higher grossing X-men movies just shows that age rating means nothing when your fanbase is well over 15 as it is.

Batman has opened well, but it's not a spectatular opening, its expected, thats how I see it

Edited by Tarintino

Best Openings (Rated 15/18) - Without Previews

1. Fifty Shades of Grey (2015) - Rated 18 - £13.55M

2. The Batman (2022) - Rated 15 - £13.33M (According to Screen Daily, minus £200K in previews)

3. Joker (2019) - Rated 15 - £12.56M

4. Suicide Squad (2016) - Rated 15 - £11.25M

5. I Am Legend (2007) - Rated 15 - £11.01M

6. It (2017) - Rated 15 - £10M

7. Deadpool (2016) - Rated 15 - £8.97M

8. The Matric Reloaded (2003) - Rated 15 - £8.9M

9. The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) - Rated 15 - £8.69M

10. Inbetweeners 2 (2014) - Rated 15 - £8.05M

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Superhero Movie Openings Without Previews since July 2001 (source: BFI) 

1. Avengers: Endgame (2019) - £31.44M
  2. Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - £23.1M
  3. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - £19.51M
  4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - £14.62M
  5. Captain America: Civil War (2016) - £14.47M
  6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) - £14.42M
  7. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) - £14.36M
  8. The Batman (2022) - £13.33M
  9. The Avengers (2012) - £13.22M
  10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) - £13.09M
  11. Captain Marvel (2019) - £12.75M
  12. Joker (2019) - £12.56M
  13. Spider-Man 3 (2007) - £11.83M
  14. Iron Man 3 (2013) - £11.39M
  15. Suicide Squad (2016) - £11.25M
  16. Man of Steel (2013) - £11.2M
  17. Black Panther (2018) - £10.48M
  18. Deadpool (2016) - £8.97M
  19. The Dark Knight (2008) - £8.69M
  20. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) - £8.4M
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Even deadpool (15 rating) opened higher and hes not the most popular superhero out there like The Batman (granted it was a 5 day opening). Deadpool and Logan being among the higher grossing X-men movies just shows that age rating means nothing when your fanbase is well over 15 as it is.

Deadpool opened as you mention in the week giving it an advantage over The Batman, but taking away preview grosses for both movies The Batman takes 8th best superhero opening and Deadpool takes 18th.* Logan misses the top 20 with £6.95M without previews.

*since July 2001.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tarintino said:

13m is impressive, but not for Batman, it's pretty standard to me. Even deadpool (15 rating) opened higher and hes not the most popular superhero out there like The Batman (granted it was a 5 day opening). Deadpool and Logan being among the higher grossing X-men movies just shows that age rating means nothing when your fanbase is well over 15 as it is.

Batman has opened well, but it's not a spectatular opening, its expected, thats how I see it

3 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

taking away preview grosses for both movies The Batman takes 8th best superhero opening and Deadpool takes 18th.* Logan misses the top 20 with £6.95M without previews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got back from the unlimited evening of The Phantom of the Open. That's a sweet little movie, hope it finds an audience when it opens next weekend

It looks like good counter programming for the older audience. 

21 hours ago, Tarintino said:

TDKR and Batman V superman were the last 2 batman movies though, so its still a drop for the character. I guess I was just expecting more, especially when the likes of MOS opened almost as high 9 years ago. We've had a lot of inflation since, especially this year

Ill give it a go myself on digital (i have oled now so this movie should look great on it) Problem is, i now have a child which makes me very picky on what i watch in cinemas and most of the comments ive seen state its good but overlong, many comparing this to thrillers like Seven so it doesnt scream like a Cinema job to me.

Man, if I was on the fence and people were telling me it was like Seven, I’d be camping outside the theatre the next day. 

Imagine watching Seven at the cinema compared to at home. That’s the kind of difference in experience that you’ll get waiting for Batman at home.  No comparison. In my opinion, as a theatrical experience it’s utterly essential. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Man, if I was on the fence and people were telling me it was like Seven, I’d be camping outside the theatre the next day. 

Imagine watching Seven at the cinema compared to at home. That’s the kind of difference in experience that you’ll get waiting for Batman at home.  No comparison. In my opinion, as a theatrical experience it’s utterly essential. 

Last time i went to the theatre was for NWH and I had to sit in the front corner with the worst view. Laying down on my sofa with a great view and homemade plate of nachos at the side is a better experience for me, especially for a film being compared to a thriller like Seven, which doesnt make for essential cinema

Ive noticed many complaints about how long this movie feels. I dont mind 3 hour movies but ive heard no-one justify its length. I think this site is guilty of the shinny new toy syndrome. Everyone loves to rave about a brand new movie but a few months down the line, reality tends to kick in

Edited by Tarintino

36 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Last time i went to the theatre was for NWH and I had to sit in the front corner with the worst view. Laying down on my sofa with a great view and homemade plate of nachos at the side is a better experience for me, especially for a film being compared to a thriller like Seven, which doesnt make for essential cinema

Ive noticed many complaints about how long this movie feels. I dont mind 3 hour movies but ive heard no-one justify its length. I think this site is guilty of the shinny new toy syndrome. Everyone loves to rave about a brand new movie but a few months down the line, reality tends to kick in

Or maybe.. just maybe people here really liked the movie?

39 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

we all have different perspectives man, it’s all cool. 

I would have loathed sitting in the front corner for any movie, let alone NWH. But with allocated seating and nine million screenings a day, I just wouldn’t have bought that ticket.  Each to their own though and obviously you were likely in a situation where you had no choice. 

no offence, but if you’ve genuine apathy for the theatrical experience over watching it at home, then why post and debate with a community that love it? I don’t get it.

and again, this is not knocking you at all but you’re hardly preaching to the choir on these box office threads?

If you’ve heard nobody justifying it’s length then you’re in for a surprise. Pretty much everybody around here not only loved the length, but would happily have sat there for another half hour - myself included. 

I’ll rave about this brand new, and the only reality that’ll kick in a few months down the line is I’ll watch it at home and think ‘man, it’s just not the same as when I saw it at the cinema.’  

and Seven!!!?! Half of what was great about that movie was the horribly immersive, trapped feeling of watching it unravel in the cinema. It’s literally the worst example you could have picked if trying to convince us that Batman isn’t worth a theatrical visit.  

It’s all good though man. I respect your stance, and it is all about opinions. Yet you’re really not going to get anywhere on a box office enthusiasts forum.  My advice would be to just wait to watch it home in a few months, as that’s what you prefer.  All the best to you. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

and Seven!!!?! Half of what was great about that movie was the horribly immersive, trapped feeling of watching it unravel in the cinema. It’s literally the worst example you could have picked if trying to convince us that Batman isn’t worth a theatrical visit.   

The end of Seven in a cinema with people who don’t know what’s coming is the very definition of a “must see” theatrical experience. The air gets sucked out of the room.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

we all have different perspectives man, it’s all cool. 

I would have loathed sitting in the front corner for any movie, let alone NWH. But with allocated seating and nine million screenings a day, I just wouldn’t have bought that ticket.  Each to their own though and obviously you were likely in a situation where you had no choice. 

no offence, but if you’ve genuine apathy for the theatrical experience over watching it at home, then why post and debate with a community that love it? I don’t get it.

and again, this is not knocking you at all but you’re hardly preaching to the choir on these box office threads?

If you’ve heard nobody justifying it’s length then you’re in for a surprise. Pretty much everybody around here not only loved the length, but would happily have sat there for another half hour - myself included. 

I’ll rave about this brand new, and the only reality that’ll kick in a few months down the line is I’ll watch it at home and think ‘man, it’s just not the same as when I saw it at the cinema.’  

It’s all good though man. I respect your stance, and it is all about opinions. Yet you’re really not going to get anywhere on a box office enthusiasts forum.  My advice would be to just wait to watch it home in a few months, as that’s what you prefer.  All the best to you. 

TBF the seating arrangement could have been avoided. My friend booked for the wrong cinema so when we arrived we had to get a last minute ticket. I used to go theatres alot but as I've gotten older and have a child, I go less and less, party due to the inconvenience and also partly because theres nothing new to see anymore.

There's only so many times you can get excited for a new Batman in a decade. When i was 18 I loved watching the likes of TDK and Iron Man in the cinema. Now I'm 32 and it just seems like there is nothing new to get excited over.

Im sure people here wont agree with me, but im just predicting the legs wont be too stellar from what Im hearing or reading from social media and friends.

I'd have eaten this up 10 years ago though