Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

On 3/1/2022 at 8:50 AM, Heretic said:

What are we thinking for Batman opening? 

Over/under Joker £12.6m? 

I’m going to say under. I just had a look and no showings at my local are as busy as I would’ve expected.

Will check again tomorrow. 

Edited by Krissykins

5 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sounds about right, had an abnormally long IMAX run, and the first two weeks especially you had to go for crazy timed screenings just to get a seat, let alone a good seat. 

Have Checked some IMAX gross in UK ,before SW7,the biggest IMAX grosser was Spectre which gross £6.6m+(Beating Avatar IMAX record in UK)

21 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’m going to say under. I just had a look and no showings at my local are as busy as I would’ve expected.

Will check again tomorrow. 

The evening shows only have single seats left. Even the 23.30 showing has a decent amount sold. The 19.50 in a 440+ seater only has some single seats and front row left. 

14 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Not surprising really, older skewing movies usually play better on the weekday than they do on weekends because the demo who sees it have the common sense not to go when it's busy!

Oh yeh, not really surprising but still great for the film.

That is a fantastic OD. Looks like UK is performing very well compared to other countries. Batman has always been very popular here. 

Not sure it will see as huge a Saturday bump as other superhero flicks given the film is clearly not as family orientated/child friendly, but can see £14m+ opening being a possibility. Very close to TDKR £14.4m opening. Seems like a good target at this point. 

So somewhere in the range or $18-20m opening. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

That is a fantastic OD. Looks like UK is performing very well compared to other countries. Batman has always been very popular here. 

Not sure it will see as huge a Saturday bump as other superhero flicks given the film is clearly not as family orientated/child friendly, but can see £14m+ opening being a possibility. Very close to TDKR £14.4m opening. Seems like a good target at this point. 

So somewhere in the range or $18-20m opening. 

I’m going today and the 3pm showing is half full so far, will see how busy it gets. 

The 15 rating will obviously be eliminating any family audience during the day today. 

Was I the only one that thought the 15 rating was harsh?

I usually find the BBFC way too lenient in some of the movies they’ve given 12A’s to that should have been 15. Yet by their own standards I think 15 is way over the top for this. There’s nothing in it that’s any worse than stuff from the Nolan ones. Sure it’s grim and unrelenting, but I’m not sure I saw much that warranted a modern day 15. 

I don’t know why anybody would take a kid under 10 to see it regardless, but I sure do feel for all those 12/13 year olds that might not be able to blag their way in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I usually find the BBFC way too lenient in some of the movies they’ve given 12A’s to that should have been 15. Yet by their own standards I think 15 is way over the top for this. There’s nothing in it that’s any worse than stuff from the Nolan ones. Sure it’s grim and unrelenting, but I’m not sure I saw much that warranted a modern day 15. 

I don’t know why anybody would take a kid under 10 to see it regardless, but I sure do feel for all those 12/13 year olds that might not be able to blag their way in. 

I assume we were all kids who grew up watching and revelling violent movies and I agree the BBFC have made some strange decisions both ways between the 12A/15, but I think 15 was probably a safe bet for this.

Some little kid definitely would have been begging for their Mum to take them to see this and then walked out traumatised after seeing.

Spoiler

A man bashing someones head in offscreen for a prolonged amount of time, hearing a women being violently strangled on a phone recording, the implications of some of the Saw traps. Numerous focus on dead bodies at crime scenes.

While the Nolan films feature similar things, i felt like they went by quicker. Here I think it's the fact these things are featured in extended sequences of which they're the focus and the people in the situations are also in high levels of distress which I think would be hard for some kids to handle. At the very least I reckon this would have got double the complaints The Dark Knight got if it ended up being a 12A. I do feel bad for the 12/13/14 range because it would have been fine for them I think. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

I assume we were all kids who grew up watching and revelling violent movies and I agree the BBFC have made some strange decisions both ways between the 12A/15, but I think 15 was probably a safe bet for this.

Some little kid definitely would have been begging for their Mum to take them to see this and then walked out traumatised after seeing.

Hide contents

A man bashing someones head in offscreen for a prolonged amount of time, hearing a women being violently strangled on a phone recording, the implications of some of the Saw traps. Numerous focus on dead bodies at crime scenes.

While the Nolan films feature similar things, i felt like they went by quicker. Here I think it's the fact these things are featured in extended sequences of which they're the focus and the people in the situations are also in high levels of distress which I think would be hard for some kids to handle. At the very least I reckon this would have got double the complaints The Dark Knight got if it ended up being a 12A. I do feel bad for the 12/13/14 range because it would have been fine for them I think. 

you made some good points with your examples of scenes from the movie i’d quickly forgotten about. Fair play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

UK debuted to a strong £4.8M ($6.4M) for the 2nd highest opening day of the pandemic, and with an 89% share of the Top 5 films. Results there are 24% ahead of Joker, 68% ahead of The Dark Knight and 392% over Dune. The running cume, including previews, is £5M ($6.7M).

Edited by Shanks

8 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yeh I actually thought the 15 was fine. That opening scene alone is a bit much for a 12 rating I’d say. It also has a sense of dread pretty much throughout. That funeral scene and preceding car scene could be quite scary. 

2 hours ago, Shanks said:

Note that the previews were actually genuine midnight screenings (00.01)

• Like 2