Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

49 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

North London and the weather ain't that great. Overcast, though not yet raining. Forecast for tomorrow is better. But as always with the weather here, it's very much a "well, just look out the window and the assume it will be worse in a few minutes" situation. 

At a quick glance for tomorrow at my local:

Meg 2 has a handful of seats in the evening showings and 4DX doing the best. Expect decent walk-ups here.

Barbie pre-sales have slowed WAAAAY down. Maybe ten tickets sold for early afternoon then mostly empty into the evening. I do think we're past the "must plan ahead and see this" phase, with people leaving it more last minute to book or just walking up.

TMNT has nothing sold in the evening, with only a handful in the afternoon.

Oppie still doing well in IMAX, even with morning showing. Afternoon and evening will probably end up at 60% occupancy or above. Standard showings are about on par with Meg 2.

Barbenheimer will continue to rule.

Interesting for Barbie, every cinema I’m looking at still looks very busy this evening. Vue Stratford will sell out all evening shows from 6 onwards until about 10.

Edit: just saw you were talking about tomorrow. I agree it is less pre sales heavy, but think walk ups are very strong still. 

Also I just looked at Meg 2 pre sales, some cinemas looks very busy for it. Should be a decent opening.

Edited by Heretic

Just now, Heretic said:

Interesting for Barbie, every cinema I’m looking at still looks very busy this evening. Vue Stratford will sell out all evening shows from 6 onwards until about 10.

Mind, I didn't check for tonight, just tomorrow. It could be an outlier, or - in my opinion - a case of the initial OTT demand being met and now self-contained cinemas will see fewer crowds, whereas those cinemas in large shopping centres/close by or with high footfall will continue doing gangbusters as part of a day/afternoon out shopping, dining, etc.

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Friday

Barbie £2.52m (slight decrease on Thursday)

Opp £1.52m

Meg £1.32m

TMNT £466k

MI7 £270k

Elemental £231k

Really consistent for Barbie and Oppenheimer throughout this whole week. 

That’s more than I expected for Meg 2. 

I’m guessing that sadly Joy Ride didn’t do much, thought that film was hilarious. Hoping Talk To Me doesn’t fall too hard. 

Ya, the marketing for Joy Ride has been non-existent and that means it never had a chance in the Barbenheimer maelstrom. At least Meg and TMNT are recognizable IPs. An adult-skewing comedy with a focus on its female cast, when Barbie is destroying records and Oppie grabbing the rest of the adult audience is DOA. I expect to see this on VOD before the end of the month.

Also, the weather's been absolute dogshit all day. Booked tickets for Meg 2 in 4DX for half six, cause my bf enjoys watching me get punched in the kidneys by the chair. It's nearly sold out, and the regular showings for the evening look alright, especially when factoring walk ups. Barbie presales definitely looking better, Oppie killing it in IMAX (the 7PM showing looks like it will be playing to similar levels to last weekend, where just the front rows had availability) and even its regular showings for the afternoon and evening have very high levels of occupancy (except 10 PM, which is empty for now). Meg 2 I feel like will end up with quite a strong opening, but Barbenheimer will again have a stellar hold.

On 7/27/2023 at 10:42 PM, across the Jat verse said:

Dunkirk vs Oppy

Weekend - 10.02 / 10.89
Wkdays 1 - 8.75 / 8.5+

Weekend 2 - 8.23
Wkdays 2 - 6.55

Weekend 3 - 4.62
Wkdays 3 - 3.97

Weekend 4 - 2.63
Wkdays 4 - 2.37

No big competition for Dunkirk in 2nd weekend, so Oppy may be do like 8-8.5 ish as well. Runtime could be making it bigger weekend play.

If Barbie follows it, well then 15M 2nd weekend :P

Dunkirk vs Oppy

Weekend - 10.02 / 10.89
Wkdays 1 - 8.75 / 8.5+

Weekend 2 - 8.23 / 8.22
Wkdays 2 - 6.55 / 6.15 

Weekend 3 - 4.62 / 5.65+ mostly

Oppy doing better than Dunkirk first time this week, though I suppose Dunkirk might have had some competition. Would guess weekdays to be around 4.2M ish. Final over Dunkirk perhaps.