Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

National Cinema Day was a total gross of £4.45m this year, down from £5.19m in 2023 and £4.9m in 2022. That's despite the tickets being 25% more (£4 rather than £3).

I think £3 sounded really cheap whereas £4 is more like a meerkat type discount so not such a rush. Still a decent day though and far better than it would have been without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

National Cinema Day was a total gross of £4.45m this year, down from £5.19m in 2023 and £4.9m in 2022. That's despite the tickets being 25% more (£4 rather than £3).

I think £3 sounded really cheap whereas £4 is more like a meerkat type discount so not such a rush. Still a decent day though and far better than it would have been without it.

Does that total include the 200+ cinemas not part of NCD? 

Last year Sony opened The Equalizer 3 over NCD the problem this year weren't any new films audiences interested in seeing so most just saw a summer film film again. While the other issue is NCD means Friday and Sunday BO will be lower than normal, why they don't promote NCD until a week before. The first NCD in 1996 had 1.1m admissions two and a half times the normal 400k Sunday admissions, and it had a mix of new releases, classics and previews all tickets £1 no booking fees. NCD in 1997 was similarly successful but then in 1998 prices increased to half price and admissions dropped and that was the end of NCD until 2022. In 1997 Pathe said NCD cost them £1m+ BO for The Fifth Element. 

For 2025's NCD industry need to make sure there is a wider choice of films, as you compare NCD with Fete Du Cinema in France with 4.65m admissions over 4 days at the start of July €5 and France had the highest admissions for 13 years in July. 

How are Beetlejuice 2 presales going as from looking at Vue Westfield/Manchester Odeon Leicester Square and BFI IMAX look very soft

7 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

How are Beetlejuice 2 presales going as from looking at Vue Westfield/Manchester Odeon Leicester Square and BFI IMAX look very soft

Friday is busy at my local. 

The non-PLF evening shows are busiest. 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Friday is busy at my local. 

The non-PLF evening shows are busiest. 

I'll reaffirm this. Two biggest locals look healthy between 18-21:00 on Fri/Sat. Same goes for the BFI IMAX, I personally don't think there is anything to worry about there just taking a glance. This was never gonna be a PLF-heavy film, plus it's short runtime gives it the luxury of an extra showing a day to disperse demand unlike most recent premium-format heavy-hitters. 

At the same time, I'm not sure this has £10m+ potential as of now, maybe more £7-9m. But I thought the same of Inside Out 2 due to sluggish presales and well...

Think Beetlejuice 2 will do decently with walkups, it’s still fairly quiet around me based on presales but they showed the original film on Friday and Sunday evening at my local and it almost sold out their biggest screen for both showings, so the audience is clearly there for it. 

That said, I don’t think it’s going to explode in the same way as it is in the US.

Edited by SnokesLegs

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

I’m still feeling confident about a £2m Friday though. Just a guess, but we’ll see. 

Can't see that happening when Vue West End has sold 38 tickets on Friday across 11 shows; 5  tickets sold for 7pm and 8 tickets for 8pm. Sales will need to dramatically increase over the next few days can't see it opening with more than £4m probably closer to £3m. 

Edited by GreenbackBoogie

2 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

Can't see that happening when Vue West End has sold 38 tickets on Friday across 11 shows; 5  tickets sold for 7pm and 8 tickets for 8pm. Sales will need to dramatically increase over the next few days can't see it opening with more than £4m probably closer to £3m. 

Ah well, maybe it’s just over performing here. I hit 38 tickets from the first two morning showings alone. 

It has 18 showings here on Friday. 

Edited by Krissykins

6 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

And Odeon West End has sold over 3x that on Friday with a third of the showtimes and all screenings are in Dolby.

If you're choosing only Vue West End to extrapolate data then you're gonna run foul of selection bias.  There are five cinemas (n/inc Prince Charles) in a 100m radius of the busiest locations in the entire country.

Edited by Allanheimer

21 hours ago, GreenbackBoogie said:

Does that total include the 200+ cinemas not part of NCD? 

Last year Sony opened The Equalizer 3 over NCD the problem this year weren't any new films audiences interested in seeing so most just saw a summer film film again. While the other issue is NCD means Friday and Sunday BO will be lower than normal, why they don't promote NCD until a week before. The first NCD in 1996 had 1.1m admissions two and a half times the normal 400k Sunday admissions, and it had a mix of new releases, classics and previews all tickets £1 no booking fees. NCD in 1997 was similarly successful but then in 1998 prices increased to half price and admissions dropped and that was the end of NCD until 2022. In 1997 Pathe said NCD cost them £1m+ BO for The Fifth Element. 

For 2025's NCD industry need to make sure there is a wider choice of films, as you compare NCD with Fete Du Cinema in France with 4.65m admissions over 4 days at the start of July €5 and France had the highest admissions for 13 years in July. 

Yes, it includes all sites, as do the figures from previous years. Where are you getting 200 sites not taking part? I know Everyman didn't, plus probably Curzon and Picturehouse, but that doesn't get to 100, let alone 200.

1 hour ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Terrifier / Terrifier 2 screening is a quarter full at my local cineworld which surprised me, didn't think it would sell much.

The Odeon's I've looked at around London are really full, and in massive screens too. Semi tempted to go, but not sure if I can handle nearly 4 hours of that in one go 😅

6 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Beetlejuice is looking good to me

How good? Good you mean enough to make £4M opening weekend. Or good like a hit and going to get near to £10M?

10 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

The Terrifier / Terrifier 2 screening is a quarter full at my local cineworld which surprised me, didn't think it would sell much.

I got the trailer for that double bill before The Crow. 

8 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The Odeon's I've looked at around London are really full, and in massive screens too. Semi tempted to go, but not sure if I can handle nearly 4 hours of that in one go 😅

Yeh I wouldn’t watch those again, Terrifier is too cheap and the 2nd film is way too long.

Definitely going for Terrifier 3 though. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I got the trailer for that double bill before The Crow. 

Yeh I wouldn’t watch those again, Terrifier is too cheap and the 2nd film is way too long.

Definitely going for Terrifier 3 though. 

I'm very jazzed for number 3, mainly because I know it'll be an evening of peace for me. The Mrs doesn't like ultra gore and I can get away with not being dad for a few hours 😅

• Like 1

I’m surprised that the Terrifier films seem to have caught on in the way that they have. I love horror movies but watched the first film and thought it was absolute garbage. Art the clown is the only good thing about it, the film that surrounds him is repetitive rubbish that overstayed its welcome at 90 minutes, so the idea of watching the 150 minute Terrifier 2 sounds like torture.

14 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Yes, it includes all sites, as do the figures from previous years. Where are you getting 200 sites not taking part? I know Everyman didn't, plus probably Curzon and Picturehouse, but that doesn't get to 100, let alone 200.

There are about 850 cinemas in the UK and UKCA said NCD was playing at 630 cinemas 

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m surprised that the Terrifier films seem to have caught on in the way that they have. I love horror movies but watched the first film and thought it was absolute garbage. Art the clown is the only good thing about it, the film that surrounds him is repetitive rubbish that overstayed its welcome at 90 minutes, so the idea of watching the 150 minute Terrifier 2 sounds like torture.

Yeh the second one was really overlong. I think they’ve confirmed the 3rd is shorter. 

But I totally get why you don’t like them. 

• Like 1