Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I'm unsure about Dad's Army, it'll do decently but the trailer doesn't inspire much confidence that it'll be good. There's also How to be Single which is a romcom which is released February 19th but has previews on Valentine's Day so even more comedy competition.

Dad's Army definitely doesn't feel like it's getting the attention you'd expect from an adaptation of something so beloved. 

‘Sherlock’ Returns To BBC One With 8.4M Viewers; Most-Watched New Year’s Day Show

I wouldn't usually post a tweet like this, but as the 'back in time' episode gets a China cinema release.... it's in a (little bit) way UK cinema related, or?

Yeah, that is lower than expected. Holidays are coming to an end now, but New Year's Day must not be a popular day for cinemas. Understandable given the events the night before for a lot of people. 

Probably be around £98m by Sunday. $200m may be in jeapordy now, see how it holds in coming weeks but It'll need a further £35m or so. Whatever happen, it's run has been jaw-dropping. 

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Fri looking SW £3.1m - cume £90m, Daddy's Home £0.8m/6m, Danish is at £0.46, Joy £0.53, Spectre will hit £94m on Sunday 

It looks like that just as 'Spectre' passes 'Avatar' on Sunday, which would normally of put it into 2nd place on the UK all-time (non-adjusted chart), behind the other Bond 'Skyfall', that 'Spectre' will still remain in 3rd place, because i presume that 'SWTFA' will pass both 'Spectre' and 'Avatar' on the same day.

Does anyone think this could be the case? :)

23 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, that is lower than expected. Holidays are coming to an end now, but New Year's Day must not be a popular day for cinemas. Understandable given the events the night before for a lot of people. 

Probably be around £98m by Sunday. $200m may be in jeapordy now, see how it holds in coming weeks but It'll need a further £35m or so. Whatever happen, it's run has been jaw-dropping. 

The exchange rate has also been falling lately. The Pound is only currently worth 1.48 Dollars. A few weeks ago it was 1.52.

I've noticed this as the dollar value of Spectre's total gross in the UK has pretty much remained the same, even though the film is still earning £ sterling.

When the country goes back to school and work on the 4th Jan, i think things are going to quieten down quite a lot at the Cinema's box office wise!

I think it's do £6-7m next weekend possibly £8m but if faces The Hateful Eight which I think will be £2.5-3m OW which is on par with Django Unchained. The weekend after is The Revenant and Creed and I think one of them will dethrone Star Wars from the top spot 

1 hour ago, mepal1 said:

It looks like that just as 'Spectre' passes 'Avatar' on Sunday, which would normally of put it into 2nd place on the UK all-time (non-adjusted chart), behind the other Bond 'Skyfall', that 'Spectre' will still remain in 3rd place, because i presume that 'SWTFA' will pass both 'Spectre' and 'Avatar' on the same day.

Does anyone think this could be the case? :)

Yeah, should happen. 

I never thought $200m was ever really a thing with the exchange rate situation. Expected number, even as an avid cinema goer I couldn't have imagined myself going to the cinema yesterday. Should do decently today/tomorrow. 

Edited by Dan9

18 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

@Heretic

How's Joy doing there? It has chances at beating SLP or AH? 

From Alfred:

Fri looking SW £3.1m - cume £90m, Daddy's Home £0.8m/6m, Danish is at £0.46, Joy £0.53, Spectre will hit £94m on Sunday 

So it'll probably open around £2m. SLP didn't even make £5m here, so it should beat that. American Hustle made over £13m though, so it has no chance at beating that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heretic said:

From Alfred:

So it'll probably open around £2m. SLP didn't even make £5m here, so it should beat that. American Hustle made over £13m though, so it has no chance at beating that.

Quite surprised Danish Girl opened just under Joy as it's had quite a bit of hype in the UK. Expect it to do great business through the week with older audiences however. 

9 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Quite surprised Danish Girl opened just under Joy as it's had quite a bit of hype in the UK. Expect it to do great business through the week with older audiences however. 

I've been feeling like there's been over confidence in that film from the distributors and exhibitors for a while. The film's been pre-booking for over a month even though the word on it as Oscar bait has been fairly muted. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW

2 hours ago, Rth said:

weekend looking over lc10.1m cume be over 97m

Hefty Sunday drop but to be expected since people are going back to work. Still a good drop from the two day weekend and flat if we include Friday. Does mean that Skyfall retains the record for best third weekend. 

Edited by Jonwo

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will become the biggest ever film in the UK this coming week -

Daddy's Home defies newcomers with a terrific £2.89m second weekend in the UK - same link

The Danish Girl lands with steady UK bow of £1.37m from 511 sites - same link

All-time top five in UK: Skyfall (£103.2m); Force Awakens (£97.25m); Spectre (£94.25m); Avatar (£94m); Titanic (£80.1m).

• Like 1