Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

18 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But aren't 50m pounds equal to 63m dollars? I thought that The Jungle Book had done sth like $65m ???

That's because TJB was released before brexit when the pound was much stronger.

Bridget Jones was also bigger than TJB but is lower in dollars.

Pounds is ultimately what counts though as we are talking about what was bigger in the UK.

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

It is true, ticket price inflation is disgraceful in the U.K. now. A standard 2D adult ticket for Rogue One is £13.75 at my local cinema. Absolutely ridiculous prices. It seems like nowadays for every blockbuster that is released, prices go up. 

Odeon's cancerous blockbuster tax isn't helping in that regard. Fucking scum. 

20 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

But aren't 50m pounds equal to 63m dollars? I thought that The Jungle Book had done sth like $65m ???

Pounds is ultimately what counts though as we are talking about what was bigger in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah I suspected that as soon as I posted it. I didn't know that there was that much of a harm done!

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I cannot in any good conscience see Avatar's average ticket price as only £5.60 when 84% of tickets sold were for some form of 3D screening. 

http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/film_info/?id=32191

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_Kingdom

Ticket sales on the first link (16.51m); gross in pounds on the second (£94m).

10 minutes ago, hw64 said:

http://lumiere.obs.coe.int/web/film_info/?id=32191

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films_in_the_United_Kingdom

Ticket sales on the first link (16.51m); gross in pounds on the second (£94m).

That's just an average though, but I guess there isn't any really other way to measure ticket price.

It doesn't take into account 3D premiums and also location premiums. For example, in London ticket prices can be nearly double prices in other parts of the country, and London accounts for about a quarter of gross, sometimes more.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That's just an average though, but I guess there isn't any really other way to measure ticket price.

It doesn't take into account 3D premiums and also location premiums. For example, in London ticket prices can be nearly double prices in other parts of the country, and London accounts for about a quarter of gross, sometimes more.

We were talking about averages. The average ticket price has gone up means exactly that: the average ticket price has gone up. Meaning that on average, you'll be spending significantly more on tickets in the UK than you were 6 years ago.

I'm not comparing that £5.60 average price for Avatar to the £12 that you cited, I'm comparing it directly to the £7.20 average for films like TFA and Jurassic World. For Avatar and indeed any other, there would have been tickets that were significantly above the average and there would have been tickets that were significantly below the average. That's just how an average works.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Not just 3D but also PLFs like IMAX, 4DX etc we've seen an increase in the number of IMAX screens which likely had contributed to the increase in the average 

4 hours ago, Quigley said:

What's Moana's looking to finish with? Is £20M a plausible expectation?

Can't really say until we see how it holds this weekend and throughout the holidays.

I imagine it can do another £10m for £15m, but £20m might be pushing it. 

Moana falls slim 13% with non-final £1.9m second weekend for £4.76m to date - link to Screen Daily

Fantastic Beasts becomes first film since Force Awakens to record four weeks as the UK's number one - same link

Office Christmas Party dances to non-final five-day UK debut of £1.19m from 479 sites -

UK top five: Fantastic Beasts (£2.7m); Moana (£1.9m); Sully (£1.21m); Office Xmas Party (£1.19m); Allied (£361k) - same link

• Like 5

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them has become the first film since Star Wars: The Force Awakens in January to record four straight weeks as the UK’s number one.

Warner Bros’ Harry Potter spin-off fell a respectable 40% with a $3.4m (£2.7m) fourth weekend for a magical $53.2m (£42.3m) to date, currently making it the fourth biggest film of the year behind Finding Dory’s $53.8m (£42.8m).

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will end its number one reign, but Fantastic Beasts will still hope to be able to reach £50m.

Another excellent week for FB. It's almost caught up with DH1 now, which was at £42.6m at the same point, but with a much smaller £1.9m 4th weekend. DH1 literally faced no competition over Christmas though, and FB obviously does with R1 coming up, so I doubt it makes another £12m like DH1 did.

GoF was at £40.6m at the same point after a £2.1m 4th weekend, and made another £8m, but it faced a lot of competition from Narnia and King Kong. Therefore, I think about £8-9m or so more seems sensible for FB. £50m should definitely happen, which is an amazing result.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Will be interesting to see how much of an impact R1 has on FB.

Either way, I think it should be comfortably over £44m by Sunday. And then school holidays start, so weekdays will be much stronger next week. 

Same on you British! You are gonna betray yout girl JK for that American thing! :P:P:P 

Edited by FantasticBeasts