Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

I think I just got brain damage from reading the last few pages from this thread.

Aquaman fanatics camping out on this thread to unleash their hatred on MPR.

On a related note, many of AQ diehards on the comments section of the trades and on Twitter actually predicted that Aquaman will make $1B worldwide (to the point where they are trashing IW or BP to make a point). With the latest figures, I predict $900M (or $850M+) which is great for a solo SH movie. But I can't see it making billion.

• Haha 1

1 Mary Poppins Returns 2018/12/21 £ 8,181,541 £ 8,181,541 Walt Disney Int'l
2 Aquaman 2018/12/14 £ 2,383,974 £ 10,056,769 Warner Bros Int'l
3 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 2018/11/9 £ 1,893,708 £ 24,573,898 Universal Int'l
4 Ralph Breaks The Internet 2018/11/30 £ 1,054,464 £ 11,065,658 Walt Disney Int'l
5 Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 2018/12/14 £ 993,581 £ 4,113,008 Sony Int'l
6 Fantastic Beasts: Crimes Of Grindelwald 2018/11/16 £ 530,670 £ 31,650,454 Warner Bros Int'l
7 Creed II 2018/11/30 £ 453,102 £ 8,371,913 Warner Bros Int'l
8 Bohemian Rhapsody 2018/10/26 £ 413,563 £ 46,145,979 Fox Int'l
9 Zero 2018/12/21 £ 331,795 £ 331,795 Yash Raj Films
10 Nativity Rocks! 2018/11/23 £ 302,975 £ 2,703,863 eOne Films
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, UserHN said:

On a related note, many of AQ diehards on the comments section of the trades and on Twitter actually predicted that Aquaman will make $1B worldwide (to the point where they are trashing IW or BP to make a point). With the latest figures, I predict $900M (or $850M+) which is great for a solo SH movie. But I can't see it making billion.

cool maybe you cant but other's can it does not make them a fanatic to predict something different lmfao. 

Even bumblebee is getting late imax screens due to MP which obviously is quite stupid. 

Edited by Wotad
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, UserHN said:

You go to a lot of nerve talking about over predictions when there’s a whole “MPR over $400M in the US” club. All year you people called Aquaman a flop and MPR a massive hit fast forward to now and Aquaman  is bound to be the biggest DCEU movie  wich means $880M-$900M or more meanwhile MPR will struggle to reach the $300M mark. SIT DOWN.

Edited by Manny G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olive said:
1 Mary Poppins Returns 2018/12/21 £ 8,181,541 £ 8,181,541 Walt Disney Int'l
2 Aquaman 2018/12/14 £ 2,383,974 £ 10,056,769 Warner Bros Int'l
3 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 2018/11/9 £ 1,893,708 £ 24,573,898 Universal Int'l
4 Ralph Breaks The Internet 2018/11/30 £ 1,054,464 £ 11,065,658 Walt Disney Int'l
5 Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 2018/12/14 £ 993,581 £ 4,113,008 Sony Int'l
6 Fantastic Beasts: Crimes Of Grindelwald 2018/11/16 £ 530,670 £ 31,650,454 Warner Bros Int'l
7 Creed II 2018/11/30 £ 453,102 £ 8,371,913 Warner Bros Int'l
8 Bohemian Rhapsody 2018/10/26 £ 413,563 £ 46,145,979 Fox Int'l
9 Zero 2018/12/21 £ 331,795 £ 331,795 Yash Raj Films
10 Nativity Rocks! 2018/11/23 £ 302,975 £ 2,703,863 eOne Films

Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, Wotad said:

cool maybe you cant but other's can it does not make them a fanatic to predict something different lmfao. 

Even bumblebee is getting late imax screens due to MP which obviously is quite stupid. 

Spoiler

A fanantic is in my POV someone who posts thing like that without informing him-/herself beforehand how the business works and reacts over the top if the business reality does not behave like wished for.

The people that do the negotiations are not stupid, its based on long range calculation models that never will be accurate, as there is always a difference between calculation model and way later reality.

Its a full schedule, a lot of distributors want to get the best possible situation, as well as the cinema owners do. As already pointed out.

Take a calendar, make marks with different colours (for different films) and try to spread them out equally.

Look out for different audience. Some young males, groups of females - with different interests per age, some old fashioned for the season, some family movies for children of different ages and different POV about e.g. violence. Some families have quite some differences in the ages of heir children too.

The cinema owners plan a tight schedule to reach as a broad an audience as possible. No only for that explicit week, but if the experience was a positive experience, the chances are high that the audience will come back for another movie.

A lot of families can only go to the movies 1 to 4 times per year (no cinema nearby, costs, different school holidays in the UK during the years, ...)

Then fill in a solo title, that starts at an atypical day (to use e.g. public holiday situations). That one will have to wait for a slot in cinemas that only do per week booking. Nothing stupid about that.

Also to say early on something is locked and reacting aggressively if someone else prefers to stay conservative.

Or exaggerate parts of the whole in a dramatic way

In my POV several of your posts (and others) are at least borderline looking like a fanatic (not only here in the UK thread) 

1 hour ago, Manny G said:

You go to a lot of nerve talking about over predictions when there’s a whole MPR over $400M in the US club. All year you people called Aquaman a flop and MPR a massive hit fast forward to now and Aquaman  is bound to be the biggest DCEU movie  wich means $880M-$900M or more meanwhile MPR will struggle to reach the $300M mark. SIT DOWN.

Spoiler

Way too generalizing, way too over the top. Way too dramatic

Only bcs a few think so, does no mean all think so. Who did even call Aquaman a year ago a flop and got taken earnestly?

Those clubs exists for tons of movies, there is a reason a lot of people are in and out of those clubs. Long range tracking, also hopes of fans, early set reports that let assume something the finalized product did full fill or not, .... tons of details that play into such things.

Early tracking let some members assume higher numbers. Other pointed out e.g. part 1 being way older than typical, there might be surprises.

US members not realizing how non-English speaking countries perceive e.g. the Grinch character (in a lot of countries not even known)...

I picked Grinch bcs it rather recent and there was some surprise for some US members bcs of that movie, as a try to use a more 'neutral', less in direct 'competition' example.

Not a reason to get overboard

But see the quote I did for Bumblebee in the US, holiday season is calculating long legs, not high OW

We do not even know that early how which of the newer movies will even behave over the holidays. Like EVERY holiday (beside maybe when a big franchise opens, but even then we do not really 'know', but guess based on.... calculation models).

And why people even try to compare the results of a niche musical (as in even inside the musical genre its for a niche audience) with an action movie.... its so illogical I cant wrap my brain about that idea alone

And:

see what experienced / local members had to say about attendance during times AM had the newly released status (and as such the capacity for more): a lot of shows were only 1/2 full, no other movie was and is taking away from AM.

Its one thing to wonder about the amount of screens of another movie (that has nearly no overlap audience with the 'fan'-movie), but its rather strange to get to starting to insult e.g. business people for feeling like they do take away from a certain movie.

If the contracts would allow for more flexibility, it would help in some cases some movies, but usually its not bad for the audience to know movie xy will play the whole week, so if work or family permits only do go e.g. 6 days after the release....

Its the system in a lot of countries (beside China and ???), nothing unusual.

If there would be such a huge demand, the cinemas would add additional shows at times of days they are usually closed or.... like they always do (except during bank holiday and  I think New Year). What still might happen, if they realise the demand is higher than expected. If they do not do it, here is no higher demand. They want to earn money. (Again, excluding certain days where the cinemas are closed for certain hours or...)

IMAX has its own rules, own schedule, not the same as the other release date calendars

The threads are for BO per country, for new rules that might help or hinder film productions, for news related to the BO .... but not to endlessly vent frustrations over certain movies. For that exists the fan war thread.

For BO, release,... reasons why in certain countries are maybe problems (strike, huge sports event, local movie/event, weather,....) information... about International BO, the threads of the movies in International.

I used spoiler tags as the whole theme is way too OT and way too long. Why should normal readers have to suffer through that 😉

Edited by terrestrial
typo, deleted the break beween the spoiler exts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hatred? Fanatics? Seriously try harder to justify your claim.

Mary Poppins gets the widest release ever with a load of other new blockbusters on and can't even go over 10 mill on its OW. Takes the entirety of Aquamans IMAX/4DX screens even though its laughably no where near as suitable. Its pretty simple, Mary Poppins underperformed. 

That whole discussion just could occur in the UK Thread :hahaha:

In UK Aq seems to really be underperforming while MPR does well, whereas it's the opposite worldwide... Will it still be able to pass WW or JL in UK with christmas legs?

Edited by Aristis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aristis said:

That whole discussion just could occur in the UK Thread :hahaha:

In UK Aq seems to really be underperforming while MPR does well, whereas it's the opposite worldwide... Will it still be able to pass WW or JL with christmas legs?

it's already beat WW and JL for the same period run...there's still australia,NZ,italy and japan  ... and china keep adding $ 5M daily.....

6 minutes ago, boxofficenerd said:

Hatred? Fanatics? Seriously try harder to justify your claim.

Mary Poppins gets the widest release ever with a load of other new blockbusters on and can't even go over 10 mill on its OW. Takes the entirety of Aquamans IMAX/4DX screens even though its laughably no where near as suitable. Its pretty simple, Mary Poppins underperformed. 

more like market doing over estimate from demand,we'll see if next 2 week still have  this same situation ...

4 minutes ago, boyamama said:

it's already beat WW and JL for the same period run...there's still australia,NZ,italy and japan  ... and china keep adding $ 5M daily.....

I edited it - as this is the UK Thread I thought it would be clear what I meant...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aristis said:

I edited it - as this is the UK Thread I thought it would be clear what I meant...

It was clear, I guess he/she is a bit too jumpy, too much on a 'war path' / looks with a microscope on things (and as such does miss the big picture) / makes a fly to an elephant, whatever the saying in which country is. Exactly what has nothing to do in a country's thread.

Edited by terrestrial

11 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

It was clear, I guess he/she is a bit too jumpy, too much on a 'war path' / looks with a microscope on things (and as such does miss the big picture) / makes a fly to an elephant, whatever the saying in which country is. Exactly what has nothing to do in a country's thread.

bro u better stop,ur nonsense post start to annoyed me...:Gaga:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wotad said:

Maybe you missed the combination of words that I used?

1. Overpredicts gross of movie

2. Bashes movies made by a rival comic book studio constantly

3. Camping out on this thread to consistently bash another film made by another studio (which isn't even the same genre as AQ)

Those are fanatics. You fit those descriptions by the way.

• Like 3