Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

7 hours ago, Manny G said:

You go to a lot of nerve talking about over predictions when there’s a whole “MPR over $400M in the US” club. All year you people called Aquaman a flop and MPR a massive hit fast forward to now and Aquaman  is bound to be the biggest DCEU movie  wich means $880M-$900M or more meanwhile MPR will struggle to reach the $300M mark. SIT DOWN.

Wow. "SIT DOWN" Really shows the immaturity of DC fans. I, for one isn't included in that "MPR $400M club in the US" and more importantly, I am not part of "AQ is a flop" club. I am very realistic with my box office predictions. Ever since those garbage films Suicide Squad and BvS made $700M+ and $800M+ respectively, I have learned to not predict the flopping of a DCEU movie.

Edited by UserHN

5 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Wow. "SIT DOWN" Really shows the immaturity of DC fans. I, for one isn't included in that "MPR $400M club in the US" and more importantly, I am not part of "AQ is a flop" club. I am very realistic with my box office predictions. Ever since those garbage films Suicide Squad and BvS made $700M+ and $800M+ respectively, I have learned to not predict the flopping of a DCEU movie.

You guys really should continue this enlightening debate in the Franchise Wars thread and stop polluting the UK Box office numbers.

• Like 5

For my part, I just started by observing that MPR seems to have been given a disproportionate amount of screens compared to all other films. Not any specific ones. I was also clear in pointing out that this, rather than having any more sinister reasoning, seemed to stem from a genuine belief from cinemas that this would be a SW/Bond level hit, which is born out from conversations I've had with a local cinema manager.

I stand by that and I don't really see why it needs to be perceived as especially contentious.

It mostly from stemmed from me trying to watch Bumblebee at my local and finding myself unable to. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

For my part, I just started by observing that MPR seems to have been given a disproportionate amount of screens compared to all other films. Not any specific ones. I was also clear in pointing out that this, rather than having any more sinister reasoning, seemed to stem from a genuine belief from cinemas that this would be a SW/Bond level hit, which is born out from conversations I've had with a local cinema manager.

I stand by that and I don't really see why it needs to be perceived as especially contentious.

It mostly from stemmed from me trying to watch Bumblebee at my local and finding myself unable to. 

Just in case, posts like that are in my POV absolute normal, tell even a bit about the thought process of a cinema owner (always good to hear IMHO) and does sound to my foreign language ears very much balanced (I didn't check earlier posts per name) and... = might have got drowned within posts (by others, maybe including mine) that sound to my ears very much not like yours here.

As Bumblebee got a mid-week release I think it will be like with similar atypical released movies: some cinemas book it early, some will do a mix, and some book (= sign a contract in the past) per usual release dates = I'd try again when the movie is 'really' / fully out??

Fingers crossed for you so you might find a real nice screening ....

• Like 1

Am I reading this right that effectively some fanboys on here think MPR being twice as successful as Aquaman in the U.K. is down to the screen count? Lol. 

If these Mary screenings had been as busy as exhibitors had expected it would have been an annihilation. As it stands, it’s merely doing very well. Aquaman too is doing very well, but would only be closer to Poppins if it was actually selling out all of its shows. 

Screen count has nothing to do with this. Just offers the opportunity for a big hit to be an even bigger hit if the demand is there. It’s not like it’s there for Aquaman and it’s missing out. Lol. 

WW Aquaman has been a tremendous story. Pleased for it. It’s such a fun movie. 

• Like 2

I had problems with copying the list, I hope now it will be fine:

So here - because I'm perversely fascinated by these things - are the ten films with the lowest opening weekends at the UK box office in 2018.

No big MOTHERHOOD/MAN DOWN/PIMP-style all-star disasters this year; lots of Indian-language cinema, which makes me wonder whether that audience is abandoning the theatrical experience for streaming services faster than most others.

10. RAJARATHA (total: £152) Broken-backed Kannada romcom describing an ill-fated road trip barely covered its own petrol money.

9. UDANCHHOO (£132) Not untopical Hindi romp about a nefarious guru, dismissed by one IMDb user as "Not even a B-grade movie".

8. KAUFMAN'S GAME (£126) Nothing to do with , alas, rather a low-budget Brit noir set in a low-budget idea of the fight game. Again, the IMDb crowd were damning: "mundane nonsensical tripe," said one reviewer.

7. RASHTRAPUTRA (£125) Freedom fighter biopic failed to rally much in the way of audience support. IMDb currently lists a 10/10 review and a 1/10 review, so take your pick.

6. KATHEYONDU SHURUVAGIDE (£110) Well-reviewed Kannada romance; may have suffered from difficulties with getting the entirety of its title up on marquees.

5. BECOMING ANIMAL (£93) Niche item described by the IMDb as "a palpably rendered audiovisual essay" (whatever that means) and by my Guardian colleague as a film "so boring it becomes fascinating":

3 (/4)= US AND THEM (£37) Bloody class-war thriller most notable for starring Jack Roth, son of Tim. Audiences were too busy fighting among themselves to show up.

3 (/4)= BLUE IGUANA (£37) Bizarro British heistcom, rescued from distribution limbo after star Sam Rockwell's Oscar win. I saw (and mildly enjoyed):

2. SLUMBER (£33) NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET knockoff bringing together Maggie Q, Sylvester McCoy and what was hands down the year's least promising title.

1. ALLURE (£29) In a year of big steps forward for women in film, a notable faceplant: a standoffish psychodrama seeking to draw crowds in with the prospect of a traumatised Evan Rachel Wood. Some (deeply mixed) earlier thoughts:

Essential small print: box-office failure or success is no guarantor of lasting cinematic value. Your mileage may go down as well as up. (But happy Boxing Day.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Am I reading this right that effectively some fanboys on here think MPR being twice as successful as Aquaman in the U.K. is down to the screen count? Lol. 

If these Mary screenings had been as busy as exhibitors had expected it would have been an annihilation. As it stands, it’s merely doing very well. Aquaman too is doing very well, but would only be closer to Poppins if it was actually selling out all of its shows. 

Screen count has nothing to do with this. Just offers the opportunity for a big hit to be an even bigger hit if the demand is there. It’s not like it’s there for Aquaman and it’s missing out. Lol. 

WW Aquaman has been a tremendous story. Pleased for it. It’s such a fun movie. 

my argument not really against MPR but more so other films which should have lost more screens by now .

Like Ralph? why is it getting so many screens . 

Has anyone alredy screen counts for this week?

I have them only till the 14 December weekend.

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

my argument not really against MPR but more so other films which should have lost more screens by now .

Like Ralph? why is it getting so many screens . 

I think you might compare (edit: it seems like) the situation in the UK to a region with another dynamic, that might lead you to actual and future frustration.

Ralph opened with 613 screens, next week 619, than 613 again (acc The-Numbers.com) This week?

It was last week still #3, that in connection with it maybe of interest for the Christmas holiday audience (not the same as during the year) might have been influencing the decisions.

Or:

its a package deal

Or....

But:

it would not help another movie (lets call it movie X), if movie whatever gets taken away some screens, if the audience for movie X is not filling up the 'rooms' accordingly - as some here had told about AM did not fill in its first week to full capacity, so they (the cinemas) will probably spread the material (movies) more out, matching to different groups of audience. It dos not (really) change the situation like see the posts the last some pages 😉

Edited by terrestrial

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Has anyone alredy screen counts for this week?

I have them only till the 14 December weekend.

I think you might compare (edit: it seems like) the situation in the UK to a region with another dynamic, that might lead you to actual and future frustration.

Ralph opened with 613 screens, next week 619, than 613 again (acc The-Numbers.com) This week?

It was last week still #3, that in connection with it maybe of interest for the Christmas holiday audience (not the same as during the year) might have been influencing the decisions.

Or:

its a package deal

Or....

But:

it would not help another movie (lets call it movie X), if movie whatever gets taken away some screens, if the audience for movie X is not filling up the 'rooms' accordingly - as some here had told about AM did not fill in its first week to full capacity, so they (the cinemas) will probably spread the material (movies) more out, matching to different groups of audience. It dos not (really) change the situation like see the posts the last some pages 😉

It doesnt matter if Aquaman would not fill up the room's its just logic that more screen's would make you more.. 

22 minutes ago, Wotad said:

It doesnt matter if Aquaman would not fill up the room's its just logic that more screen's would make you more.. 

No, its not logic in every case. It would be 'logic' to a degree, if they'd fill up lets say ~ 80%.

And not like you think.

If they get that kind of filling up, have their contracts for showing other movies too, they swap salle sizes and / or add additional screenings.

If they do not do that, than there is not enough interest shown to justify the additional costs for the crew and so on.

During the usual times of day per genre / aimed for age group, if they do not fill up, than additional times do not help.

Its not how the business work anyway, as told and told and.... they plan / prepare the release details way earlier, to theorize what would be when is -  especially in this amount - not making any sense to me.

It might help in a cinema in e.g. a small city that only has one salle. But those will vary their times of day too, add if needed additional times.

Not a lot of them left anyway.

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2