TMP

Next Goal Wins | November 17, 2023 | Searchlight | Taika Waititi movie on Samoan Football Team

Insiders say Basch sold Waititi on the prospect of getting this mystery project finished with enough time to then jump into the next “Thor.” Once Waititi was on board, Fox Searchlight worked aggressively to land the rights to the film, which has already been greenlit for a fall shoot. Fox Searchlight and Waititi recently worked together on his satire “Jojo Rabbit,” and the studio plans to give the movie a strong awards-season campaign after its October release.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 3

So Waititi is playing the 'One For Me, One For Them" game.

"You want me to do Thor 4, OK, part of the price is you let me make my small indie film'".

Happens quite a bit: and director or actor makes a studio making his less commercial film part of the price for his doing the film the studios wants him to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

So Waititi is playing the 'One For Me, One For Them" game.

"You want me to do Thor 4, OK, part of the price is you let me make my small indie film'".

Happens quite a bit: and director or actor makes a studio making his less commercial film part of the price for his doing the film the studios wants him to make.

Technically this is two for him, one for them.

We can now report that the film is called Next Goal Wins, an adaptation of the 2014 documentary of the same name. The original film was directed by Mike Brett and Steve Jamison and follows the National Football Team of American Samoa as they attempt to turn around their disastrous record (they infamously lost 31-0 to Australia in 2001) and qualify for the FIFA World Cup with the help of new Coach Thomas Rongen. Waititi wrote the screenplay with Iain Morris. Our original article continues below.

• Like 2

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I guess they better cross their fingers that the Fassbender allegations don't gain traction before the movie's out... Sometimes it takes a few rounds (and yesrs) before people will actually listen.

Michael Fassbender's trash too? That's a bummer.

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I guess they better cross their fingers that the Fassbender allegations don't gain traction before the movie's out... Sometimes it takes a few rounds (and yesrs) before people will actually listen.

What allegations?