Cap

Top 50 Musicals! FYC Closed! Final List Goes Up CATS OW!

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

If Kal Ho Naa Ho misses the list even with an Indian Invasion I will riot. 

I mean it'll be an unnoticed one man riot in a small corner of Korea, but a riot all the same!!!

While the music and songs are nice in that movie (and the movie is decent too), they are nothing special or different imo. 

Something like Dil Se from the maestro A.R.Rahman. Now that is special!

But I’ll include KHNH in my list for u (and also because I cried a lot when

SHahrukh Khan dies at the end in that long ass hospital scene

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hot Take: Cabin In The Sky is the best MGM Musical featuring a dream sequence and a twister? 🤔

Spoiler

It's also now available On Demand on TCM.com

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Hot Take: Cabin In The Sky is the best MGM Musical featuring a dream sequence and a twister? 🤔

Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Hot that is, and it's a very good musical-  but um, no.  :rock:

• Thanks 1

Soooo...

look at this GIFT the Criterion Channel just gave us for the last month to our deadline. Time for a 14-Day Free Trial! Movies are up as of November 1

🥰😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭😍🥰

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Soooo...

look at this GIFT the Criterion Channel just gave us for the last month to our deadline. Time for a 14-Day Free Trial! Movies are up as of November 1

🥰😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭😍🥰

Awesome! I've been meaning to watch Summer Stock for a while now. A Judy Garland / Gene Kelly musical I haven't seen yet shamefully.

While I don't have the criterion channel free (although I could always get a free trial if I'm interested), I do have access to loads of movies because I just got a card from the Dartmouth Library, which has an amazing back-catalogue of films. I'm gonna go their next week and see what they have as far as musicals go. Looking forward in particular to checking out a lot of MGM's finest show-stoppers for the first time.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Astonished 1

Hey Everyone!

We have a little over three weeks left.  I'm not going to do an At All until One Week Out, and then I will do another One with 24 Hours to Go.  Remember: I will accept lists that have between 50 and 15 movies.

Updated TCM Schedule!

The Films are normally available for a week after their airdate.

November 1:

Having A Wild Weekend (1965)

November 5:

Fashions of 1934 (1934)

November 7:

On The Town (1949)

November 10:

The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)

November 13:

The Red Shoes (1948)

November 14:

Broadway Gondolier (1935), Dames (1934), Irene (1940)

November 17:

Du Barry Was A Lady (1943)

November 18:

On The Town (1949), No Leave, No Leave (1946), The Stork Club (1945)

November 20:

Cabaret (1972)

November 21:

The Glass Slipper (1955)

November 22:

A Hard Day’s Night (1964)

November 24:

Annie Get Your Gun (1950)

The Criterion Channel <-- link!

Offers a 14 Day Free Trail!!  The month features the following 18 MGM Musicals:

An American in Paris (Vincente Minnelli, 1951)

Brigadoon (Vincente Minnelli, 1954)

Broadway Melody of 1940 (Norman Taurog, 1940)

Cabin in the Sky (Vincente Minnelli, 1943)

Easter Parade (Charles Walters, 1948)

For Me and My Gal (Busby Berkeley, 1942)

Give a Girl a Break (Stanley Donen, 1953)

I Love Melvin (Don Weis, 1953)

In the Good Old Summertime (Robert Z. Leonard, 1949)

It’s Always Fair Weather (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1955)

Lili (Charles Walters, 1953)

Meet Me in St. Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944)

On the Town (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1949)

Summer Stock (Charles Walters, 1950)

The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953)

The Barkleys of Broadway (Charles Walters, 1949)

The Harvey Girls (George Sidney, 1946)

The Pirate (Vincente Minnelli, 1948)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Stanley Donen, 1954)

They also have That’s Entertainment! (Jack Haley Jr., 1974), but it's not eligible.

This is a really good selection of MGM Musicals.  The only Big Two missing are Singin' In the Rain and The Wizard of Oz.

We Have Some Questions about Eligibility.  (Yes! Bollywood Counts!)

On 9/5/2019 at 5:40 PM, captainwondyful said:

All films released up to November 20, 2019 will be eligible.  

I will not be restricting adaptations. Want to put all three versions of Annie on your list? Awesome.

I’m defining Musicals as:

• Character sings and/or dances in scene;
  • The songs and/or choreography are a significant part of the film;
  • The musical numbers are essential to the character’s emotional development and/or plot progression of the story/media.

The best way to think about it is this: Mel Brook's 1967 The Producers is not a Movie Musicals.  The 2005 movie, based on the Broadway Musical, based on the 1967 movie, IS.

Fulls details are on the first page

53 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Broadway Melody of 1940 (Norman Taurog, 1940)

Cabin in the Sky (Vincente Minnelli, 1943)

Easter Parade (Charles Walters, 1948)

For Me and My Gal (Busby Berkeley, 1942)

I Love Melvin (Don Weis, 1953)

In the Good Old Summertime (Robert Z. Leonard, 1949)

It’s Always Fair Weather (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1955)

On the Town (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1949)

The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953)

The Pirate (Vincente Minnelli, 1948)

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Stanley Donen, 1954)

these are all worth your time, esp. The Pirate, The Band Wagon and On the Town

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 1:55 PM, Jake Gittes said:

PSA: see The Pirate. Absolutely not optional

I just watched it today.  I’m not sure its story was the strongest but I did have fun watching it.  Also I was unaware of the whole Be A Clown/Make Em Laugh sounding similar kerfuffle(?)

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

I will not be restricting adaptations. Want to put all three versions of Annie on your list? Awesome.

I’m defining Musicals as:

• Character sings and/or dances in scene;
  • The songs and/or choreography are a significant part of the film;
  • The musical numbers are essential to the character’s emotional development and/or plot progression of the story/media.

The best way to think about it is this: Mel Brook's 1967 The Producers is not a Movie Musicals.  The 2005 movie, based on the Broadway Musical, based on the 1967 movie, IS.

@captainwondyful I don't see how Whiplash or any other musician based film qualifies when there's no song (sung music - not played) or dance.  Amadeus- yes.  Whiplash - no way.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

I finally saw Lagaan - wonderful film but while there's singing and dancing there's sooooooooooo much more cricket (and drama) that I don't see it as a musical first. 

Remember this quote when Disney's Tarzan finishes 23rd :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

@captainwondyful I don't see how Whiplash or any other musician based film qualifies when there's no song (sung music - not played) or dance.  Amadeus- yes.  Whiplash - no way.

100% agree. Whiplash is not a musical and does not qualify. 

• Like 1

Working on my list. Unfortunately The Dartmouth Library doesn't appear to have Summer Stock, or any of the other classic MGM musicals for some reason @captainwondyful. Guess I'll have to get a temporary subscription to The Criterion Channel.

I did manage to watch some musicals recently, though. I just caught up on the film version of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and enjoyed it a lot. I acted in a production of the musical in college, so to see it put in a film context, sure was something. It's a very 1960s musical in terms of themes, but it doesn't lose an ounce of its charm when applied to today. Helps that Robert Morse is quite an appealing lead, and can sing well too. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Working on my list. Unfortunately The Dartmouth Library doesn't appear to have Summer Stock, or any of the other classic MGM musicals for some reason @captainwondyful. Guess I'll have to get a temporary subscription to The Criterion Channel.

I did manage to watch some musicals recently, though. I just caught up on the film version of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, and enjoyed it a lot. I acted in a production of the musical in college, so to see it put in a film context, sure was something. It's a very 1960s musical in terms of themes, but it doesn't lose an ounce of its charm when applied to today. Helps that Robert Morse is quite an appealing lead, and can sing well too. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I have been holding off on subscribing cause I want to Maximize  the 14 days free, and have been busy. Had to watch the little mermaid train wreck last night obviously!

• Like 1