RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

Found a social media campaign for the film

TARGET AUDIENCE: Casual superhero moviegoers who don't know Madame Web's backstory from the comics.

TONE/FEEL: Above all, epic. Modern, impactful, unexpected, clever, intriguing; prestigious, unmissable. 

Sounds like Sony knew a month before release their Superhero films have a brand problem. 

https://tongal.com/project/MadameWebMovieInfiniteZoomVideoProject/#tab-brief

This was disappointing! The film opens with a scene of two characters talking, and one of them isn’t moving their mouth while the ADR dialogue plays. I thought, wow am I about to witness an iconic disaster disasterpiece?

Alas no… simply another generic superhero copy paste film, just with worse CGI, worse dialogue. Honestly most of the film is fine. It’s a 2/5. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2024 at 7:07 AM, PlatnumRoyce said:

Found a social media campaign for the film

Sounds like Sony knew a month before release their Superhero films have a brand problem. 

https://tongal.com/project/MadameWebMovieInfiniteZoomVideoProject/#tab-brief

Yeah, the "Rosenkrantz and Guilderstein Are Dead" straegy is not working.

Tom Stopard's 'Play is takes too very minor charecters from Hamlet and bulds a play/film around them, Problem is you need someobdy as talented as Stopperd to pull it off.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:12 PM, Human said:

I am really excited to see this in a few months and see this spectacular badness I keep hearing about.

From what I have read, it is more of Just Plain Old Bad rather then a So Bad It Is A Un Intentional Laugh Riot To Sit Through Bad. 

Might be one you want to wait for the Riff Track guys to get ahold of.

Edited by dudalb

Do we get a Morbius/Madame Web-style movie now every year? Im all for it, there are so many hilarious YouTube reviews because of those two alone.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Do we get a Morbius/Madame Web-style movie now every year? Im all for it, there are so many hilarious YouTube reviews because of those two alone.

You should have been around in the good old days of Uwe Boll.

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

fuck you Sony. Be mad at yourself for thinking this shit was releasable 

Both are true. Spielberg memorably called the interview junkets for movies "a time to sell cars" as opposed to "being a human being and having an opinion." These people are "on the clock" during those interviews.

I'm not sure I agree Sony's right to be angry here. The film's terrible reception was 200% priced in by the actual film and Johnson genuinely got more attention to the film. 

But it was definitely an experience for me to make that movie. I had never done anything like it before. I probably will never do anything like it again because I don’t make sense in that world. And I know that now. But sometimes in this industry, you sign on to something, and it’s one thing and then as you’re making it, it becomes a completely different thing, and you’re like, Wait, what? But it was a real learning experience, and of course it’s not nice to be a part of something that’s ripped to shreds, but I can’t say that I don’t understand. - https://www.bustle.com/entertainment/dakota-johnson-teatime-book-club

I think this specific comment is what got Sony angry and they have a point. You're supposed to do what David Ayers did for Suicide Squad - play the good soldier for a few years even if the studio's hit you in the balls in the editing room.

Acknowledging a film is bad while its still in theaters is something fairly banal you'd expect studio people to get angry about. I doubt this is made up but it's also obviously blame shifting by studio people.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Guys, the article is literally made up. They wouldn't leak to a british Daily Fail if there was any trouble. They'd leak to industry news sites.

I read (look at pictures and read the headlines) on Daily Fail and they always have articles about how someone feels after some news leaks. All these articles are made up by them. Leave Sony and Dakota alone

Yeh the source is whack. 

I imagine Sony are in a huff. But it’s not her fault, she can’t go out there lying to everyone. They’re lucky she agreed to promote it all. And they can’t say she didn’t make the effort.