kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Sequels have a hard time increasing after the first one has such a huge performance. Matrix, TDK, Shrek, Pirates all had big increases from their predecessors because the first films had leggy BO runs and built up a lot of hype and goodwill for the franchise. X-Men and LOTR enjoyed small steady increases from film to film as the franchise maximized its potential with the final film.But for the most part sequels will have trouble matching the first film after the first film reaches uber blockbuster status. Spider-Man, Harry Potter, both Star Wars trilogies, Narnia, Jurrasic Park, etc. All of these films were cultural phenomenons and their sequels couldn't keep up despite their quality.

I don't think it will be massive overseas (hopefully decent though). In the UK at least it's not got a lot of hype behind it, and my showing on Friday night at 8pm was only half full. However, It should have very good legs so the OW may not be big but it should make a good amount OS.Catching Fire will be a different story on the other hand.

My brother said his screening was pretty packed but I do agree Catching Fire will be huge OS as the books are starting to sell amazingly well all over Europe. It is currently occupating the top 4 positions on Amazon UK

Sequels have a hard time increasing after the first one has such a huge performance. Matrix, TDK, Shrek, Pirates all had big increases from their predecessors because the first films had leggy BO runs and built up a lot of hype and goodwill for the franchise. X-Men and LOTR enjoyed small steady increases from film to film as the franchise maximized its potential with the final film.

But for the most part sequels will have trouble matching the first film after the first film reaches uber blockbuster status. Spider-Man, Harry Potter (DHII), both Star Wars trilogies, Narnia, Jurrasic Park, (Didn't it do better on OW?) etc. All of these films were cultural phenomenons and their sequels couldn't keep up despite their quality.

Doesn't look like this is staying around $140m, there's a chance this is taking SM3'S Saturday and the 2D opening record.Spider-Man: 68.3 - 53 - 40 (161)TDK: 68.3 - 47.5 - 44 (160 but Sunday won't be that high)AIW: 68.3 - 52.5 - 37 (158)DH2: 68.3 - 43.3 - 36.4 (148)New Moon: 68.3 - 44.2 - 29 (141 but Sunday won't be that low)

I know I posted these already, but here are my theaters numbers with today's updated.Midnights - 1201Friday - 1984Saturday - 1385 as of 12:51 includes presalesWe also added 4-5 extra shows after 4 to help with the crowds tonight.

So Saturday is well ahead of Friday so far. 70% of Friday's sales have been reached (including presales) with 11 hours to go.

I know I posted these already, but here are my theaters numbers with today's updated.Midnights - 1201Friday - 1984Saturday - 1385 as of 12:51 includes presalesWe also added 4-5 extra shows after 4 to help with the crowds tonight.

Now I'm curious, are late 12AM and 1AM Friday night shows counted in that Friday tally or Saturday tally? Or did your theater not have those?

Theatre is more packed than yesterday, shows in the next 2 hours are pretty much all going to go very very full, if not sold out. Presales are down a lot though, but walk-ups are more than making up for it.

Edited by riczhang
  • Like 1

HG's reaction outside the fanbase isn't meh though, it's actually quite positive, however if this does end up grossing north of 350-375 million, then decrease is still almost guaranteed, unless we get some epic film for a sequel.

Right. Most of the disgruntled viewers are the fans from the book that had ridiculous expectation of how much of the book would be in the film. The only common complaint outside the fanbase seems to be the shaky cam. It has a cinemascore of A, so the WOM can't be THAT bad. I think I just have too many facebook friends who are book purists or something. haha

Theatre is more packed than yesterday, shows in the next 2 hours are pretty much all going to go very very full, if not sold out. Presales are down a lot though, but walk-ups are more than making up for it.

As expected. Pre-sales generally just apply to midnight or OD. I want this baby to pass 50m today!

This is beyond epic :lol: :lol: :lol:TDK's OW is in play if these Saturday numbers are at all indicative of other theaters

Yes it is.With TDK's non-midnight IM, this is on pace for 159.1M for the OW

I know I posted these already, but here are my theaters numbers with today's updated. Midnights - 1201Friday - 1984Saturday - 1385 as of 12:51 includes presalesWe also added 4-5 extra shows after 4 to help with the crowds tonight.

I feel an increase of possibly epic proportions coming. This is why you can't compare a franchise entry with 4 quadrant appeal to sequels! At least I hope.

Right. Most of the disgruntled viewers are the fans from the book that had ridiculous expectation of how much of the book would be in the film. The only common complaint outside the fanbase seems to be the shaky cam. It has a cinemascore of A, so the WOM can't be THAT bad. I think I just have too many facebook friends who are book purists or something. haha

Yeah, and we can expect the fans to come back for the sequels no matter what, and as for WOM out of the non-fans I've talked, I've got 1 negative, other than that, it's been all positive.