kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

Can't wait to see the legs on this thing. With the extremely high RT rating and great public reaction, can it pass 400m? I have a hard time seeing this drop off a cliff like the Harry Potter and Twilight movies.

Edited by Shpongle

6 films have done 50m+ on a Saturday adjusted. Spider-Man, SM3, Shrek 2, Shrek 3, DMC, and TDK. Sith barely missed it at 49.7m. Right now TDK is the only one that is comparable since the other films didn't have huge midnight numbers on Friday. It's doable but the sellouts have to come but this thing is super saturated with a bunch of showings so it will be hard to know how well its doing in theaters with 30+ showtimes and few sellouts.

Can't wait to see the legs on this thing. With the extremely high RT rating and great public reaction, can it pass 400m? I have a hard time seeing this drop off a cliff like the Harry Potter and Twilight movies.

NOOOOOO YOU'RE BACK! :(

Wow, 68.25m Friday! And now, 150m OW and TDK's OW is really in play! This is so unbelievable! I think THG is remarkable in its own right because of the following:This was a March opening. If you are that confident of a big opening, you usually open in the Summer, because that's when school is out, and you are likely to see the biggest possible number of people watch the movie. DH2 opened in Summer.This literally exploded within a relatively short period of time, and before the movie launched. There was a massive amount of pre-hype. But the odd thing is, this huge buildup happened like within one month. Go back one month and look at all the posters' predictions then. I think 70 million OW was the norm, and even considered high one month back. Everything just came together and built up tremendously in a big way until we had a literal frenzy BEFORE the movie hit. Suddenly 130m OW didn't seem that crazy on the eve of its opening. And wham, now we are talking about 150m as something that is seriously possible. (I remember saying 150m OW 24 hours ago, but in only half in jest! I couldn't quite believe it might seriously be in play at all).It was the coming together of all the elements that made this massive box office run. The perfect storm. And the scary thing to all this is that we are just at the start of this. The girl on fire can burn on for a long time before we reach the peak. There are tons of people who haven't watched the movie or read the book yet. This could see a massive increase from THG to catching fire simply because of an explosive increase in fans from reading the book similar to how New Moon increased massively from Twilight. And if it further increases in Catching Fire from what it is already doing now, then Catching Fire will literally be standing amongst the movie greats of box office history.Its like how TDK built on the goodwill and quality of BB, and all the elements came together to form a prefect storm there. Hence, everyone is predicting scarily huge numbers for TDKR. Its almost expected. We are seeing the same phenomenon happening for THG, except for one important thing. Its the first of a series. The first movie in a franchise usually doesn't open so big. THG is already opening to massive unbelievable numbers. It didn't even need a twilight or BB to lead the way or lay the ground work.This means either 1) it totally skipped an entire step in usual series phenomenon, or 2) the true potential of this series has yet to be reached, and that even the first of this series is already huge enough to make it seem more like a sequel. Which means that by the time we do get to its sequel Catching fire, its BO potential is going to be scary to contemplate.

Edited by Eldenfirefly

The Starbucks I go to everyday around noon is right across the street from the theater and the parking lot was completely full. Thats really impressive for so early in the day. :blink:

Have you seen it? It seems something that you'll enjoy.