kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

Which will make that analysis even more wrong since the admissions gap will be even bigger.

Or perhaps we should reverse engineer the analysis using the quoted 2D and 3D prices to determine the true IMAX price

it's nice to see something new and fresh (and incredible) happening in the box office, i just wish it was because of a really good movie (like TDK), and not because of a superb campeign. i saw this movie, and i've read the books. the movie is OK, the book kinda sucks. i think it's becoming successful because people are looking for somethink to replace harry potter. as a movie? ok. but as a book series? it isn't even close.

anyway, to say that it's more popular than harry potter? no, it will never be. in a couple of decades everyone will remember the name harry potter (the books, ok? not the movies), THG is just a hit. that's all.

Posted Image

Noctis, how did it improve on second viewing? What'd you think? In you opinion I mean

I don't know, according to this thread, they probably think I envisioned DH2 throughout the entire Hunger Games film.

...Sluts.

Hello everybody. Made an account awhile ago but never posted since I usually wait until the Summer but this is a special occasion.This is probably the most impressive opening I have seen for a movie since SM3. I would say this is more impressive actually since it isn't a sequel. Can't believe this is rivaling DH2 in ticket sales. Simply amazing. Saw it twice now and will start reading Catching Fire tomorrow. This franchise will be huge.

it's nice to see something new and fresh (and incredible) happening in the box office, i just wish it was because of a really good movie (like TDK), and not because of a superb campeign. i saw this movie, and i've read the books. the movie is OK, the book kinda sucks. i think it's becoming successful because people are looking for somethink to replace harry potter. as a movie? ok. but as a book series? it isn't even close.anyway, to say that it's more popular than harry potter? no, it will never be. in a couple of decades everyone will remember the name harry potter (the books, ok? not the movies), THG is just a hit. that's all.

It is a really good movie. Sad that you didn't like it, but saying this is successful is only because of the marketing campaign is a little ignorant. You think TDK would have made so much if it weren't for the millions spent on the excellent marketing?As for the last thing, how do you know people won't be talking about this years from now? It hasn't even been out for 3 days yet!

The fact is.... if avg 3D price was indeed $10.85 and 2D price was indeed $7.60, then avg. IMAX ticket price was $8. :DI believe when that analysis was made, then IMAX factors were not taken into account. The avg. 3D price (incl. IMAX) can be $10.85 and avg, 2D price (Incl. IMAX) can be $7.60.

Oh, shut the fuck up, for God's sake. Did I not say before that I wanted TDKR to beat it? And I'm absolutely ECSTATIC for The Hunger Games' success and I WANT it to sell more tickets than DH2.

Dude, calm down. I was just joking around. I've seen you talk about how much you liked THG. Your love for Potter was just the butt of a joke. Geez.

The fact is.... if avg 3D price was indeed $10.85 and 2D price was indeed $7.60, then avg. IMAX ticket price was $8. :DI believe when that analysis was made, then IMAX factors were not taken into account. The avg. 3D price (incl. IMAX) can be $10.85 and avg, 2D price (Incl. IMAX) can be $7.60.

I can believe that, save for the fact that it STATES that its non IMAX. However, the fallacy you're making here is assuming that BOM's ticket sale estimate is accurate. Their numbers, from what I can tell, have been highly overreporting ticket sales since late 2009. Edited by spizzer

Thing is, the first day's gross is essentially dependent on marketing and per-awareness (books, comics, whatever). The actual quality of the film has nothing to do with it. After that, yeah, quality and WOM start to count, but you can easily have a fairly terrible movie that has a huge opening day (and thus a big OW). Happens all the time.

The THG vs Potter fanboy war is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unnecessary drama. :rolleyes: Noctis likes THG, the vast majority of us like Potter and THG so lets just leave it. How about we all list things we hate about Twatlight instead? :lol:

Edited by MovieMan89

I can believe that, save for the fact that it STATES that its non IMAX. However, the fallacy you're making here is assuming that BOM's ticket sale estimate is accurate. Their numbers, from what I can tell, have been highly overreporting ticket sales since late 2009.

The ticket sales estimate is not calculated by BOM, it comes from NATO.

Hello everybody. Made an account awhile ago but never posted since I usually wait until the Summer but this is a special occasion.This is probably the most impressive opening I have seen for a movie since SM3. I would say this is more impressive actually since it isn't a sequel. Can't believe this is rivaling DH2 in ticket sales. Simply amazing. Saw it twice now and will start reading Catching Fire tomorrow. This franchise will be huge.

Welcome Moviefanatic!

And trust me, I don't want to undersell Potter here at all. I was a BOM lurker for nearly 8 years, and I can say with full confidence that I'm a bigger Potter fan than Noctis is. I'm never going to make any attempt to make it look bad.

Snape's death was incredibly suspenseful. The scene where they man the boundaries of Hogwarts was a perfect mix of visuals and music. The Prince's Tale is probably the best scene I've seen all year; emotional, beautifully acted, and immaculately edited. Bellatrix had too little screen-time, though, which sucks. But other than that, you should enjoy the fuck out of it.

When my hallucinations stopped and I could see The Hunger Games instead of DH2, I enjoyed it more but I can't help but feel that the last few minutes could have been way more suspenseful.

I'm a big fan of both HP and THG and I think there are a lot of people who are in the same boat. Most of the animosity with HG fans has been towards Twilight so it's similar to Potter in that way. One reviewer mentioned joking about Team Peeta and Team Gale and she got a lot of backlash on Twitter. Most HG fans hated it.

One chick yelled Team Peeta while we were waiting for screening to start and unsurprisingly, she was in the group that clapped and cheered hardest for BD2 teaser. Most of us looked at her shaking out heads... like no, don't go there. This ain't twilight bitch.

My face: Posted Image

Edited by CEDAR