TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

7 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Not great, not terrible. Was going to be difficult to deliver a great narrative with this premise imo so if Kang delivers+some good Cassie and Janet moments that's good enough for me.

what type of insane of argument is that?

These reactions are about what I expected after the trailers. My personal hype for this is extremely low after a disappointing AMatW, Evangeline, and recasting of OG Cassie. Still haven’t bought tickets yet. I just hope the setup pays off in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

These reactions are about what I expected after the trailers. My personal hype for this is extremely low after a disappointing AMatW, Evangeline, and recasting of OG Cassie. Still haven’t bought tickets yet. I just hope the setup pays off in the future. 

Since there's a 10 month MCU break after the summer, you'll have time to decide and catch up.  I've been catching up semi-out-of-order and it doesn't really spoil anything...(PS - I finally watched Werewolf by Night last night, and that was weirdly good b/c it had an overall vision and the characters and plot fit that vision - really good, D+ level programming)...

My son was the driving factor for us to get Ant Man tickets, but he tends to be very "social media" moved by reviews...so we'll see if we get tickets here after he spends a few days catching up (I have D+, so I'd probably wait after these reviews, b/c I hate plot mess movies)...

9 minutes ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

Uhhh... did you quote the wrong post?

the insane adjective might have been uncalled for, but I really dont like it when people start making up indulgent excuses for a movies quality; theres no real reason why the premise should have stopped this from being a good movie, not my fault they hired a rick and morty writer

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

12 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The presales are going to be hit pretty hard now that this is increasingly looking like another Phase 4-style dud. The 3-day will likely simmer down to around $90M, and will likely be even lower than that by the end.

You're overestimating how much reviews impact things. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the insane adjective might have been uncalled for, but I really dont like it when people start making up indulgent excuses for a movies quality; theres no real reason why the premise should have stopped this from being a good movie, not my fault they hired a rick and morty writer

“Indulgent excuses” lmfao

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The staying power of Strange 2 and Thor 4 speak for themselves. You don't drop off like that without some nasty word of mouth.

both those movies had really high Opening Weekends especially strange, they fell off cause audiences didn't like them not critics reviews

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The staying power of Strange 2 and Thor 4 speak for themselves. You don't drop off like that without some nasty word of mouth.

The precedent of DS2 and Thor indeed speak for themself. If it is as purely received as those two (which is not all clear atm) it will likely do ~115-125

1 hour ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

This feels like MOM /AOU to me.

Reading between the lines of reactions, tend to agree with this - had potential be great in both moving the broader story arc and as a standalone movie, but just missed in one way or another

With that said, both of those titles were massively hyped, so the "miss" was felt more strongly in terms of "backlash" and weaker IM/legs, but from a still very large OW. AMWQ is starting from a lower baseline, already has been somewhat successful in less "important" storylines, so I'm not sure the outcome will be quite the same. Keep in mind that after the massive week 2 drop, both MoM and Ultron legged out fairly well

Not glowing reviews probably lower the ceiling for OW and total, but think some level of audience hesitation was already baked in here, and so still feels like a $300M+ release to me

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

Not glowing reviews probably lower the ceiling for OW and total, but think some level of audience hesitation was already baked in here, and so still feels like a $300M+ release to me

me thinks 2.5 legs (assuming a 120 million start) might be too much to ask of a marvel movie these days, specially when its a hyped one which mediocre reviews

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

me thinks 2.5 legs (assuming a 120 million start) might be too much to ask of a marvel movie these days, specially when its a hyped one which mediocre reviews

But I would argue the GA/broader MCU audience hasn’t really bought into the hype quite yet; there’s been too much “disappointment” of late that there was more hesitancy. Noted this in tracking thread - and others certainly disagree - but presales smelled a little fan heavy/Kang influenced to me, and never thought this was pacing for a $140M+ OW

Weaker legs come from hype outrunning perceived quality after release, and I’m just not sure the anticipation among more casual MCU fans had been ratcheted up enough to produce that effect 

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I would like to point out, Quantumania doesn't have to be a perfect film. It's job was building up Kang to hype up Avengers 5 and 6 and from early reactions it seemed like it did that job well. 

Yeah, I mean, probably better long-term to have a bad movie with a good Kang introduction than a good movie except kang as a weak point.   

But like, great movie with good Kang intro would have been pretty nice… 😅

• Sad 1