TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

280M OW for an Ant-Man movie. Damn MCU brand power is wild. That said will be interesting if Deadline are overestimating overseas like they did with last time with WF.

AM2 opened around same I think in equivalent markets, around 30-40M less than what deadline is projecting for AM3.

13 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Yeeahh, it's a small market called China. And another one called Russia. Thor 4 still trounced Thor 2 without them. Ya'll need to lay the 'MCU is dying' shit to rest. 

Now get back to me next year if Deadpool 3 bombs.

There's a huge difference in outright saying dying and diminishing returns.

Edited by YM!
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

280M OW for an Ant-Man movie. Damn MCU brand power is wild. That said will be interesting if Deadline are overestimating overseas like they did with last time with WF.

projections ! probably end up 30-50m$ short with this reviews ! unless china or sk/ other international audience liked the movie! the brand power made l&t do 760m$ ! but it costed millions in future !! many ppl almost left the hype train !

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Marvel is not really "fine" since they have handed the franchise over to writers who only have a few episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live and Rick and Morty to their name

This is the big thing for me. Marvel's bargain bin shopping for writers and directors needs to stop. It's really bad with the shows too, which is why most of them are awful.

Just now, froztking said:

projections ! probably end up 30-50m$ short with this reviews ! unless china or sk/ other international audience liked the movie! the brand power made l&t do 760m$ ! but it costed millions in future !! many ppl almost left the hype train !

Deadline usually lowballs. So a 280M projection normally would get easily over. But they did overestimate for WF. Let´s see. Again OW weekends doesn´t take that much of a hit. Especially since the MCU is so frontloaded. Week after tho is when the bad wom will hurt it

1 minute ago, Verrows said:

This is the big thing for me. Marvel's bargain bin shopping for writers and directors needs to stop. It's really bad with the shows too, which is why most of them are awful.

That would require a huge corporate change at the Disney level...and even with cheap-o Chapek gone, he didn't make the "underpay labor" policy, he just continued it.  

Iger and previous CEOs all had that same policy in place...

3 minutes ago, froztking said:

Marvel OW numbers never fall off a cliff because of reviews. WOM will start to hurt it during the 2nd week and on 

17 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Marvel ain´t dying anytime soon but this is a worrying trend. The fanbase is huge and loyalty is still strong but the monster it was before might be done. 

https://ew.com/movies/kevin-feige-marvel-phase-5-exclusive-interview/

This interview with Feige is interesting:

"we want Marvel Studios and the MCU projects to really stand out and stand above. So, people will see that as we get further into Phase 5 and 6. The pace at which we're putting out the Disney+ shows will change so they can each get a chance to shine.

So when you say the pace will change, do you mean spacing them out or putting out fewer shows a year?

Both, I think."

Looks like that report of them slowing down is true. So that´s at least good. Also says the Kang tested the highest testing villain in their "friends and family"  test screenings.

That's really interesting.

And you can basically see Feige admitting there:  We recognize we have a problem,  but you're not going to see the difference until probably mid to late Phase 5 because we're too far into so many projects at this point.

I would guess that you're not going to be seeing stuff like Echo or Agatha spinoffs going forward (not that those might not be great, but that they're clearly spinoffs meant to help boost the amount of content they're putting out).

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I still won't entertain the "Marvel is dying" or "Marvel is dead" argument. Does the MCU have a quality issue, yes. Is the MCU in danger of disappearing from pop culture, no

If Deadpool 3 goes sub $500M and Kang Dynasty can't crack $1B, then i'll entertain the idea

Deadpool 3 is going to be very interesting. I foresee a scenario where it attempts to over-integrate itself into the established MCU, which backfires by turning off the fans who enjoyed Deadpool for being it's own entity.

3 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

That's really interesting.

And you can basically see Feige admitting there:  We recognize we have a problem,  but you're not going to see the difference until probably mid to late Phase 5 because we're too far into so many projects at this point.

I would guess that you're not going to be seeing stuff like Echo or Agatha spinoffs going forward (not that those might not be great, but that they're clearly spinoffs meant to help boost the amount of content they're putting out).

Yeah. It also lines up with Agatha and Echo both being also pushed away from the 2023 schedule. Hopefully a positive change. Good to see him acknowledge that to the extent he can publicly. 

Also Agatha might actually be more relevant than people think. It´s rumored that it will be the only show alongside Loki S2 that deals with the multiverse. But yeah we don´t need 548 spin offs. 

Edited by thajdikt

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

That would require a huge corporate change at the Disney level...and even with cheap-o Chapek gone, he didn't make the "underpay labor" policy, he just continued it.  

Iger and previous CEOs all had that same policy in place...

Yeah but why does it feel like it's on another level now? 

I've been thinking that it may have something to do with genuine love for the properties. Marvel went bargain bin shopping before but at least those creatives clearly had an affinity for the source material. Whereas with the more recent hires, I'm watching some of the shows in particular and I find myself asking out loud to these creatives: why are you even here? You clearly have no connection to these characters.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm feeling the cheapness way more now than I used to.

• Like 2

I will say that even the negative fanboy reviews I'm seeing so far still highlight Jonathan Majors as Kang. That alone makes this worth the price of admission for me, though I'm still going to be disappointed that the rest of the film is subpar.

But similar to how I got the #1 thing I wanted (a true Sam Raimi experience) out of MoM (with the film being mostly subpar otherwise), looks like I'm going to get the #1 thing I wanted from Quantumania (KANG KANG KANG)