TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If we're using the critics choice thing as a basis, the only difference between Wakanda Forever, a major awards contender, and Ant-Man 2 a generally well received sequel, is two points?

We could use RT or metacritic if you prefer but then the "major award contender" (lol) would be below the "well-received sequel" instead

I'd be surprised if it gets a RT score between 60 and 69 and still gets an A- or A Cinemascore. There is only 1 MCU film that has received a score below 70 but still managed to receive an A- on CinemaScore. And if it does get rotten on RT but still gets an A or A-, I'll be pretty sure Disney has complete control of the MCU now.

Edited by Willowra

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

If we're using the critics choice thing as a basis, the only difference between Wakanda Forever, a major awards contender, and Ant-Man 2 a generally well received sequel, is two points?

It makes sense. RT % difference is also not that big between them. If you really want to discredit it then you can look at Love and Thunder a movie which is close to being rotten that has 78 on Critics Choice

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

My hope was always to beat Ant-Man 2 worldwide without China. That was with good WOM in mind. That SK and China gross in Ant-Man 2 was huge. SK was always going down and no China. Now it at least has China but WOM won´t be good. So it kinda evens out my hope. I still believe it can do it but looking harder. The Kang factor seems to provide a bigger intial fan rush that´s not really translating to the GA. Which was my biggest worry in terms of legs

Edited by thajdikt

20 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

how are presales doing with just 4 days to go?

Looking like 18-20 previews as far as I can tell. Strong start, but pacing really went down closer to release and since reviews are not expected to be strong, final push probably won't be either.

Edited by JustLurking

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Are people just closing their eyes when they read nomination lists this season so they can pretend Wakanda Forever is somehow not on it? I genuinely don't know how so many of you are arguing it is not up for major awards.

I find it pretty funny that you cut the rest of the post to go on yet another oscars rant, but sure. I was laughing at the way you phrased it to move the comparison away from the point when the critics choice comp actually favors it compared to the sites people usually look at aka RT and MC. I wasn't really interested in going deeper into the oscars conversation again, especially since you have proven not very open to dialogue on it anyway.

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

wakanda forever didn't get a nom for best pic, best screenplay or best director so yeah its not that crazy when those awards its up for our stuff like costume design, makeup, music and vfx which isn't really saying anything about the quality of the storytelling

Goodness, the depths people reach on site to prove their point is comical. Posters(like above) will do whatever they can do prove their argument even if it defies all logic.

11 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I have to say closer to release I get to this I´m starting to get really excited for this. Can´t wait to see Kang and Kathryn Newton as Cassie

Me too. I'm tuning out the reviews/reactions discussion and just looking forward to see the movie. It doesn't seem to be having the universal appeal that I thought (though ultimately we have to wait for the movie to actually release) but I'm reasonably sure I'm going to have a lot of fun with it. Kang was always the draw here for me.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Me too. I'm tuning out the reviews/reactions discussion and just looking forward to see the movie. It doesn't seem to be having the universal appeal that I thought (though ultimately we have to wait for the movie to actually release) but I'm reasonably sure I'm going to have a lot of fun with it. Kang was always the draw here for me.

Yeah I usually don´t really care about the reviews/reactions in terms of my own enjoyment and all that as I often like stuff as long as it entertains me tbh. Also saw on Letterboxd that some press from Netherlands, Australia and Brasil had posted their reactions on Letterboxd and there are some that are positive on it but yeah won´t be a Shang-Chi or NWH sadly. But I only care about that in terms of box office, legs, franchise future and all that stuff. Also been a big Kang fan a long time to to see him properly on the screen is very exciting

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I wasn't really interested in going deeper into the oscars conversation again, especially since you have proven not very open to dialogue on it anyway.

I mean it's...not an opinion. Whether or not Wakanda Forever has been a serious contender in the awards season is an objective yes or no fact.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean it's...not an opinion. Whether or not Wakanda Forever has been a serious contender in the awards season is an objective yes or no fact.

a final comment before I accidentally get the thread locked

serious awards contender only encompasses top 5 best picture nominees in my eyes (and I doubt many are willing to go beyond the top 10 best picture nominees)