CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

About the over 25 ratio, you gotta remember that many parents didn't want their kids to see this movie, so 12-16 year-olds were pretty much restricted do the violence in the story. And then, the parents that decided to check out the movie, usually went with their kids or went by themselves to get a pre-screening to see if it was fit for their children.

• Like 1

Alright, we're not done yet. How are Sunday sellouts looking?Rallax, if your here, how's your theater looking today?

Rallax said that they already had 3 afternoon sellouts and over 800 tickets sold by noon or thereabouts. The theater I am tracking has already started adding shows and is selling out shows an hour or two in advance. I think 40 million sunday is happening. Edited by TLK

Rallax said that they already had 3 afternoon sellouts and over 800 tickets sold by noon. The theater I am tracking has already started adding shows and is selling out shows an hour or two in advance. I think 40 million sunday is happening.

It's definitely possible. After a 51M Saturday, you know demand is still enormous. With Spidey 3, negative WOM could have already settled in by Sunday. I was surprised at the time that it fell 22% from 51.4M Edited by spizzer

Absolutely astounding for The Hunger Games. Even with the large fan base it had going in, a $155 million opening for a non-sequel is eye-popping. The $51 million Saturday is particularly impressive considering how much demand was already burnt off by the end of Friday. I think a huge reason for its success is that although Lionsgate catered to the fans in the ad campaign, they also did an excellent job of making it look appealing to prospective viewers who weren't already on the bandwagon as well. With strong word-of-mouth and the curiosity factor still in play for some viewers, I think it should make a good run at the non-summer and non-holiday gross record set by The Passion of the Christ eight years ago ($370 million).21 Jump Street held really well considering how massive The Hunger Games was; it was off less than 40% weekly on Saturday and Sunday. It should be able to weather the rest of the competition heading its way in the coming weeks.The Lorax continues to see decent if unspectacular holds, but it's still very successful and on a clear path toward (and then above) the $200 million milestone.John Carter got mauled with the arrival of The Hunger Games. I can't say I'm surprised that it got hit so hard, and it's mind-boggling to think that a $250 million production not only got beaten by another event movie that cost a fraction of that price to make, but also that it got beat by such an enormous margin. Disney and especially Andrew Stanton could learn a thing or two from the Hunger Games team, which succeeded in making the story and the ad campaign clear to viewers who didn't have a grasp of the source material.Everything else is "meh," but thanks to The Hunger Games, this ended up being the biggest March weekend on record. Nothing to complain about there.

I think every subsequent number has been more and more impressive, the 20m midnights were good but disappointing after Variety predicted 25m, then the 48m Friday which was huge for a March weekday and now the massive 51m Saturday which increased from an already hefty Friday. I hope Sunday can continue to surprise us.

I think every subsequent number has been more and more impressive, the 20m midnights were good but disappointing after Variety predicted 25m, then the 48m Friday which was huge for a March weekday and now the massive 51m Saturday which increased from an already hefty Friday. I hope Sunday can continue to surprise us.

:lol: