CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

• Founder / Operator

Potter definately set the foundation of the teenage book rush. Twilight expanded on the hightened frenzy to "see it immediately." So... Hunger Games is simply taking into account both forces already established and using them to its advantage. Enjoy it for what it is people. Don't hate.

Absolutely. Don't hate, but the same goes for the precedents that have been set before it. They still deserve just as much recognition.

Unless actuals go up with Puerto Rico.

Or it just has a much better Sunday than expected, like TDK did. TDK's Sunday morning estimate was $155m, but it went up to $158m because Sunday was underestimated by $4m (sold out a ton of late night shows) and its Friday estimate went down $1m with the actual.

• Founder / Operator

I still think the most awesome part of TDK's opening was, in actuality, not part of the weekend...but the Monday hold. I still remember seeing that number come out early Tuesday and the general shock around the forums (and industry) were beyond palpable.

Sunday is very hard to see...Films do not sellout on Sundays.They usually get very full shows like 60-95% full shows but they do not sell out.However I am seeing a few sellouts and many of the noon shows are well over 75%+ full.

I still think the most awesome part of TDK's opening was, in actuality, not part of the weekend...but the Monday hold. I still remember seeing that number come out early Tuesday and the general shock around the forums (and industry) were beyond palpable.

Agreed.

Nikki's post on Sunday night that it was doing way better than WB expected was the first clear sign of legs. Then Monday solidified it. The most impressive thing about TDK was the legs, not the opening. Twilight and Potter have both crushed it on opening day, etc. but ended up falling way short of its domestic total.

I remember that. I wasn't yet a regualr poster, just a lurker, and BOM went completely wild.

It's the last day of march break today to my theatre's very busy seems that a lot of people are taking advantage of the last day to see the hunger games.(null)

That bodes well for its chances to beat TDK.

How about Spiderman 3 it pretty much got the same opening in terms of tickets sold and ended around 200 million dollars less. :)

Speaking of which, SM3 gives a pretty good idea of the floor for THG. Should cruise past $350m based on how SM3 performed with far weaker WOM and also based on the fact that THG is not a sequel.

Its Potter Redux, really. When teens latch so passionately onto something like these book series, the mainstream becomes interested in this day and age.

Pretty much. Potter and Twilight laid the groundwork. To say it had "just" the book fanbase is seriously underrating the effect the books had. Without the books this would not have been nearly the monster it is now.

Wow, 155 million OW... This is beyond crazy, and this is not even actuals. OMG! The movie exceeded the 150m that I threw out as a figure before midnights came out. I am beyond astonished. And to think that TDK's OW is now really in play? lol This is so fun to watch! :)The burning question now. Is this going to be like twillight and fall off a cliff and have bad legs, or is this going to be more like TDK and have legs?