TMP

Licorice Pizza | Paul Thomas Anderson | United Artists Releasing | November 26 (limited), December 25 (wide) | Bradley Cooper, Benny Safdie, Cooper Hoffman

I think Director is too weak for a snub. And he’s a 2 timer. 

Don’t Look Up is McKay’s worst reviewed film. Even if he makes BP, Director seems a reach and he isn’t doing anything new visually. Hamaguchi is the international breakout but the international nominees have been filmmakers who’ve worked for decades like Vinterberg and Haneke which Hamaguchi hasn’t. Drive My Car might also be underrated by the Academy. Nightmare Alley is a flop critically and commercially. Coen would make sense but Macbeth is very underseen. It’s like 40th overall for critics lists. King Richard, Tick Tick Boom and CODA are not films the directors nominate. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:50 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I think Director is too weak for a snub. And he’s a 2 timer. 

Don’t Look Up is McKay’s worst reviewed film. Even if he makes BP, Director seems a reach and he isn’t doing anything new visually. Hamaguchi is the international breakout but the international nominees have been filmmakers who’ve worked for decades like Vinterberg and Haneke which Hamaguchi hasn’t. Drive My Car might also be underrated by the Academy. Nightmare Alley is a flop critically and commercially. Coen would make sense but Macbeth is very underseen. It’s like 40th overall for critics lists. King Richard, Tick Tick Boom and CODA are not films the directors nominate. 

I won't rule out Asghar Farhadi for surprise nomination in BD race. Most of the surprise non-English film director nominees like Hanake, Pawel Pawlikowski and Vinterberg they all have prominent presence in Best foreign film category before they got nominated in the BD race subsequently. Hamaguchi had none so far which put him in a disadvantage position against Farhadi if the international voters block really want to get one slot for non-english director . 

Seem like LP still keep on its current location until sometime near Oscar nomination. I am not sure if the movie will hit streaming before their next expansion or they will just give it up altogether. 

Paul Thomas Anderson’s Oscar-buzzy Licorice Pizza, which was released in four theaters on Thanksgiving weekend and jumped to 786 on Christmas, will remain there for the time being, putting off an expansion planned for mid-January. “We’ll stay in a tighter release pattern until the marketplace eases a little bit with Omicron. There’s no reasons to rush,” said Erik Lomis, UAR’s head of distribution. UAR is said to have already scaled back a first expansion to well over 1,000 screens that had been planned for last weekend.

Oscar nominations are late this year, not until February 8, and there’s hope the variant will start to burn itself out in Jan/Feb. after the holiday surge.

• Like 1

Went to see it on saturday, took a 90 min train ride but it was absolutely worth it. Great movie, loved the dynamic between two main characters, established actors in minor roles were also great(was Ben Stiler in the movie or did PTA cut him? because I thought I saw him in the trailer).

The scene were young Hoffman calls to ask about pineball machines ❤️

Edited by karlleng
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, karlleng said:

Went to see it on saturday, took a 90 min train ride but it was absolutely worth it. Great movie, loved the dynamic between two main characters, established actors in minor roles were also great(was Ben Stiler in the movie or did PTA cut him? because I thought I saw him in the trailer).

The scene were young Hoffman calls to ask about pineball machines ❤️

I think people confused the director auditioning Alana with Penn as Ben Stiller?