TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

DEADLINE: You said this morning that you thought Joker 2 was going to surprise people. I gather the sequel is just as dark, if not more dark, than the first one…

ALBERTO BARBERA: It is. It’s a continuation of the story but the film is completely different from the first film. If you’re expecting the same in terms of violence or other things, you’ll be surprised. When I saw the film in LA at the beginning of February there were four or five of us in the screening room, including writer Scott Silver, and we were astonished, our mouths were open at the end of the screening. It is a darker film.

DEADLINE: And it is a musical…

BARBERA: It’s a dystopian musical, or a musical of sorts. I think it’s one of the most daring, brave, and creative films in recent American cinema. And I think it really confirms Todd Phillips as one of the most creative directors working at the moment.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Well, they are homaging one of my favorite Judy Garland numbers (from "Summer Stock" )with "Get Happy".

I strongly suspect that Gaga will end up doing a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to the singing and dancing.

16 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Todd Phillips directed the Hangover films. Old School. Road Trip.

He is in a film saying "I'm here for the gangbang"

Astonishing turn of events.

To be fair, he started off making documentaries. His first documentary was on the infamous New York shock punk artist GG Allin, which was indirectly produced by John Wayne Gacy. GG Allin makes the Joker look like a rational and centered individual. Of course, after the success of his frat boy comedies, he couldn't go back to his roots until WB said 'Do what you want with Joker."

I am still trying to figure out the "This is not a musical it just has alot of songs" in it comment here.

I guess somebody has a very limited idea of what a Musical is.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, WittyUsername said:

It seems like they’re leaning into the ambiguity of what’s real and what’s fantasy. 

True, but that is not particualry original. Even in the realm of Comis books, Wandavision  bear them to the punch.

I am not knocking the movie..looks really good...but  looking at the relatinship between fantasy and reality is not breathtakingly new.

14 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am still trying to figure out the "This is not a musical it just has alot of songs" in it comment here.

I guess somebody has a very limited idea of what a Musical is.

I think it's just marketing. "A musical" carries specific baggage.

For example, there's some old industry data showing more people say they want to see fewer musicals in theaters than those who want to see more of them (most genres are ~40-60 percentage points more likely to say they want to see more of a specific genre in theaters). Joker 2 wants to attract a new audience but it also doesn't want to lose the current one. 

At this point, I think this is the one CBM of at least the next several years that I’m most curious about. It seems pretty reasonable to say that it’s a lot more experimental than anything we can expect to see from the various interconnected shared universes. 

7 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I think it's just marketing. "A musical" carries specific baggage.

For example, there's some old industry data showing more people say they want to see fewer musicals in theaters than those who want to see more of them (most genres are ~40-60 percentage points more likely to say they want to see more of a specific genre in theaters). Joker 2 wants to attract a new audience but it also doesn't want to lose the current one. 

You might have a point; you have a lot of Comic Book Geeks who would not be caught dead watching a musical.

I think this is a stupid  point of view, but it's exist.

What makes this amusing is that the film is obviously going to homage a hell of a lot of the classic Movie Musicals......Harley singing ""Get Happy" shows that. the Judy Garland version of that in Summer Stock is one of the most iconic MGM Musicals numbers out there.

I honestly don't understand complaints about this movie being musical. Judging by trailers the film is very close to the first one both visually and tonally, music already played a huge part in the first one, in fact there's a well known dance number and Joaquin already sung by the very end of the movie. So it's not even some radical departure from the first one, they just expanded on what was already there.

Edited by Firepower

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I honestly don't understand complaints about this movie being musical. Judging by trailers the film is very close to the first one both visually and tonally, music already played a huge part in the first one, in fact there's a well known dance number and Joaquin already sung by the very end of the movie. So it's not even some radical departure from the first one, they just expanded on what was already there.

And Todd Philips love musicals.

Why is Film Twitter always shocked and gagged when she speaks about acting? Have they not heard actresses talk? They're all full of shit. "I almost DIED it was the hardest thing anyone has ever done I was possessed and exorcised" and it's Kristen Stewart talking about doing Twilight. 

4 hours ago, Flopped said:

Why is Film Twitter always shocked and gagged when she speaks about acting? Have they not heard actresses talk? They're all full of shit. "I almost DIED it was the hardest thing anyone has ever done I was possessed and exorcised" and it's Kristen Stewart talking about doing Twilight. 

I think GAGA has displayed a pretty wide range in her singing already..she did a couple of duets with the late great Tony Bennett; certainly a far cry from her early hits.