TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

His Suicide Squad flopped despite great reviews. Gunn alone doesn't guarantee anything. The only thing that could help Superman is curiosity factor for DCU start, but I don't know if it's strong enough. Plus rumored 300 mln budget doesn't help.

Well as I have said before I am going to go with the positive vibes that the movie is good and they market it well then the GA will come  until the actual evidence shows otherwise or I could spend the next 9 months thinking the negative about it's fate. The thing is none of us know what will happen until it does.

Even if the OW won't be the highest (i think at least 100M), i expect legs will be fantastic. Don't wanna start a fan war, but i think it will play through out the summer, while its competition (F4) will have bad legs.

That if it doesn't go to streaming early

• Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Even if the OW won't be the highest (i think at least 100M), i expect legs will be fantastic. Don't wanna start a fan war, but i think it will play through out the summer, while its competition (F4) will have bad legs.

That if it doesn't go to streaming early

Dam it. I was with you until the F4 bad legs comment. Let's not do the fan war thing. Both movies can do well and be well liked. Although being two weeks apart is the problem. If Superman does open under 100 million and then F4 comes two weeks later then Superman is not doing anywhere near 300 DOM unless F4 is terrible.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Superman will likely underperform next year depending on your expectations. I have good feelings about quality, which after many years with mixed/bad WOM with the Snyder movies, it's very important to the first movie of a new franchise. So maybe a soft opening + good legs.

It's hard to expect a breakout when it's sandwiched between JW and F4. Man of Steel did 291M DOM and had 2.5x legs.

• Like 1

Gaga just released an album that goes with the movie and it is flopping badly. Not a good look. It might be that some of you are overestimating the number of her fans, I don't think she has been relevant in a long time. I am still going to see the movie despite this bad aura around it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Opium said:

How is Gaga supposed to be blame for the underperformance of the movie or for not draw people with her name alone when the reviews pointed out she's good but 'underused' in the movie, if anything who was looking forward to this movie for her presence has definitely lost interest when all the Venice reactions pointed out that.

I mean, Gaga shouldn't be blamed at all for the underperformance of this movie.

However, it still shows Gaga isn't a really big draw for the movie. I mean, the promotion for Joker 2 makes it seems Gaga will have a pretty big role (and I really doubt so many people have seen the Venice reviews), but people aren't so interested.

• Like 1

Superman isn’t going to make any money. Wasn’t The Flash supposed to be a feel good breakout movie? And The Suicide Squad? And Blue Beetle? And WW84? And Shazam 2? And Black Adam? Just because he’s a big name character doesn’t mean much, because Wonder Woman bombed and if the Joker can underperform then Superman can outright collapse. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 2

Joker 2 collapsing has nothing to do with Gaga or her relevancy. Presales indicate a widespread apathy. GA don’t think a sequel is necessary. CBM fans don’t watch musicals. Who’s the target audience??

Even if Joker 2 was a normal sequel, it was not matching Joker’s $1.07B because of several factors… 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Joker 2 collapsing has nothing to do with Gaga or her relevancy. Presales indicate a widespread apathy. GA don’t think a sequel is necessary. CBM fans don’t watch musicals. Who’s the target audience??

Even if Joker 2 was a normal sequel, it was not matching Joker’s $1.07B because of several factors… 

Just wondering, what's your updated prediction DOM/OW/WW now that we're only a handful of days away?

37 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Superman isn’t going to make any money. Wasn’t The Flash supposed to be a feel good breakout movie? And The Suicide Squad? And Blue Beetle? And WW84? And Shazam 2? And Black Adam? Just because he’s a big name character doesn’t mean much, because Wonder Woman bombed and if the Joker can underperform then Superman can outright collapse. 

Hey James and WB just shelve Superman. The movie is cooked. It does not matter how good it may be or well it is marketed. It's lost cause. Don't bother. God my head hurts with this.

1 hour ago, european1992 said:

Gaga just released an album that goes with the movie and it is flopping badly. Not a good look. It might be that some of you are overestimating the number of her fans, I don't think she has been relevant in a long time. I am still going to see the movie despite this bad aura around it.

A Jazz album,my friend...

Just listened to the Gaga album, tailor made for me and the classic movie musical girlies. It's been a long time since I was really into any of her music so I was surprised about the genre and that i liked to so much. Whatever happens with this film I'm glad it exists if only for this. 

I'll be giving it a chance this weekend since I need to see what's going on with this and I was pretty excited before the Venice reviews came out. What else do I have A-list for except for watching movies I otherwise might not pay for. 

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The Flash was rejected by audiences, just like WW84, Black Adam and Shazam 2. 

Blue Beetle had decent reception but nobody cares about this character anyway.

TSS was well received but it got a huge amount of disinterest due to how hated the other TSS was, and it got the whole day and date situation. 

Joker team take a very standalone movie with clear ending both thematically and narratively and made a tribunal musical out of it as a sequel. 

I know it’s too easy to simply get all the bad data available and throw at a wall to say how everything is doomed, but context matters, all of those movies comes from very bad situations and we really should stop using a dead and buried cinematic universe or standalone big swings as a proof of general disinterest for everything related to this brand. Some of you sounds like executives, bad ones. 

It reminds me of the tiresome “MCU is dead” that we have to read for half a year just in 2024 only for D&W turn into a smash hit.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Thanks 1