TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

People are significantly overestimating the pull Gaga has with 18-35 males which will be the main groups coming out. This isn’t a Hugh Jackman or Tobey maguire situation. 

Gaga pulls in a different demo than the OG Joker. It’s about expanding the audience. The 18-35 male demo is baked into the cake already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Where's the marketing for this film? They just dropped a couple of trailers and then dipped. Compared to Uni's BOMBARDMENT of Wicked ads, this feels like an afterthought for WB. 

I’m guessing promo will start after Venice a la ASIB or the OG Joker. 

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Joker 2 trailer seemed to hide the fact that this is a musical. That could end badly as I’ve seen how films are received when they hid their true genre.

They literally sing in the trailer, how are they hiding it?

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

that being said, if this is a musical I can see it being a disaster financially. CBM demo (18-35 males) will hate it and Joker 2 is not pulling the same crowds it did back in 2019.

Yeah because La La Land and Wonka were such disasters and people hated them... ?

• Like 2

I do think the musical element is a risk. The musical elements seem more old fashioned than a lot of popular movie musicals today, and it’s definitely harkening back to an older time, but then again La La Land was a hit so you never know. Sometimes I think modern audiences are underestimated a bit by studios. 

Im very confident in a hefty drop. The target audience doesn't care for Lady Gaga. Is it a musical, is it not debate isn't doing it any favours either and the novelty of a serious Joker movie is gone

Also, the first movie wasn't that good, it just has a strong ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I do think the musical element is a risk. The musical elements seem more old fashioned than a lot of popular movie musicals today, and it’s definitely harkening back to an older time, but then again La La Land was a hit so you never know. Sometimes I think modern audiences are underestimated a bit by studios. 

Being a musical is a risk as most people don't care for them. La la land made less than half the Joker movie

Mean girls made less than it's iconic predescessor despite 20 years of inflation because they turned it into a musical

Wonka should have been a 300m grosser easily with the cast, director, IP and release date but.... musical

Live action Musicals have had a pretty low ceiling ever since Grease. Only kids movies seem to make them into big hits. I doubt the lads watching Joker are going to be too excited at Lady Gaga's casting along with hints the movie is a musical

11 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Im very confident in a hefty drop. The target audience doesn't care for Lady Gaga.

But Gaga audience cares for her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13698871/joker-2-trailer-new-york-city-man-meltdown-movie-theater.html

11 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Is it a musical, is it not debate isn't doing it any favours either and the novelty of a serious Joker movie is gone

R rated comic book musical is a novelty though.

12 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Also, the first movie wasn't that good, it just has a strong ending.

That's just an opinion, not a fact. Numbers imply it's a very popular and well regarded film:

A6umZD3.png

LZPjXc9.png

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But Gaga audience cares for her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13698871/joker-2-trailer-new-york-city-man-meltdown-movie-theater.html

R rated comic book musical is a novelty though.

That's just an opinion, not a fact. Numbers imply it's a very popular and well regarded film:

A6umZD3.png

LZPjXc9.png

It's a novelty because studios have been too wise to make their CBM's musicals considering they attract different audiences.

The audience was 65% male for Joker and musicals have notoriously skewed more female heavy with films like Greatest Showman having 73% female.

I'm honestly suprised I'm one of the few recognising the issue here

5 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Being a musical is a risk as most people don't care for them. La la land made less than half the Joker movie

La La Land is not based on IP, especially as hugely popular as this one. And it did incredibly well for what it was. Also we just had Wonka doing 632M worldwide, general audience likes musicals, idk where "most people don't care for them" comes from.

9 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Mean girls made less than it's iconic predescessor despite 20 years of inflation because they turned it into a musical

Because it's a reboot with noname cast initially done for streaming, of course it wouldn't match the first one.

10 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Wonka should have been a 300m grosser easily with the cast, director, IP and release date but.... musical

Not really? It did very well, not much less than Dune Part 2. Wonka is not a billion dollar IP to expect more from it and Paul King is not Nolan.

12 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Live action Musicals have had a pretty low ceiling ever since Grease. Only kids movies seem to make them into big hits. I doubt the lads watching Joker are going to be too excited at Lady Gaga's casting along with hints the movie is a musical

Lads will be first in line to see it even if they claim they won't, they want to be a part of discourse.

14 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

It's a novelty because studios have been too wise to make their CBM's musicals considering they attract different audiences.

The audience was 65% male for Joker and musicals have notoriously skewed more female heavy with films like Greatest Showman having 73% female.

I'm honestly suprised I'm one of the few recognising the issue here

But the movie is a love story, so by your own observation it should attract female audience since it's a love story + musical, even if f***** up one. Whatever audience it could lose, it can attract new one.

It seems like a no-brainer that this‘ll have a more female-skewing audience than the first one, although CBM’s in general tend to be more male-skewing, apart from the first Wonder Woman movie, so who knows how different this’ll be in that regard. 

Edited by WittyUsername

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But the movie is a love story, so by your own observation it should attract female audience since it's a love story + musical, even if f***** up one. Whatever audience it could lose, it can attract new one.

So you think women who didn't watch the first movie will rush to this because there are some musical notes and a love story? 

12 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Lads will be first in line to see it even if they claim they won't, they want to be a part of discourse.

There hasn't been much discussion around this movie so I don't think there will be some fear of missing out

14 minutes ago, Firepower said:

La La Land is not based on IP, especially as hugely popular as this one. And it did incredibly well for what it was. Also we just had Wonka doing 632M worldwide, general audience likes musicals, idk where "most people don't care for them" comes from.

The fact you have to say this just shows a live action musical has a ceiling. If we adjust the gross, Wonka dropped over 33% in ticket sales from the 2005 movie despite less competition, better reviews and a christmas holiday release date.

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not really? It did very well, not much less than Dune Part 2. Wonka is not a billion dollar IP to expect more from it and Paul King is not Nolan.

Wonka is certainly a bigger IP than Dune though so just shows what could have been.

If there was zero inflation, a drop to 750m worldwide would seem about right for this to me but that's probably around 850-900m today.

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It seems like a no-brainer that this‘ll have a more female-skewing audience than the first one, although CBM’s in general tend to be more male-skewing, apart from the first Wonder Woman movie, so who knows how different this’ll be in that regard. 

Yeah but this will be the result of less males turning up rather than more females turning up imo

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

So you think women who didn't watch the first movie will rush to this because there are some musical notes and a love story? 

Gaga audience will rush to this because their idol is there. And I kinda doubt there are women who didn't watch the first one at this point, but musical and love story can make it more appealing to them than social drama about loner.

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

There hasn't been much discussion around this movie so I don't think there will be some fear of missing out

Just wait for Venice premiere, there's a good chance american media will pull "dangerous movie" stunt again. Since it's a movie about 2 serial killers in love causing mayhem around them, it's gonna be controversial, no doubt about it, so headlines and discourse will be there one way or the other.

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

The fact you have to say this just shows a live action musical has a ceiling. If we adjust the gross, Wonka dropped over 33% in ticket sales from the 2005 movie despite less competition, better reviews and a christmas holiday release date.

2005 Wonka had Depp/Burton combo which was arguably more powerful at the time than Chalamet/King, plus it was more of a direct remake than some weird prequel.

1 hour ago, Jaxon5 said:

Wonka is certainly a bigger IP than Dune though so just shows what could have been.

Box office-wise it is, but Dune Part 2 was a direct sequel to the recent and well regarded movie, and Wonka is a reboot/prequel with new cast, so excitement levels are not nearly the same. I was actually surprised Wonka did what it did because it didn't scream an event film even if you remove musical aspect.