TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Surprise surprise, first letterboxd reactions are negative. The only interesting takeaway from them is some complain it ruined the first one. But since the first one was a punching bag for letterboxd douches, I'll just wait for release.

Edited by TomThomas

Early reception on Letterboxd from people that are actually in Venice are awful, like truly dreadful. It’s worrying because most people seems to like the first movie, they’re complaining that this one destroys it.

The few positive reactions are Gaga fans using fakes.

You never can put too much stock in those, but not looking promising.

Edited by ThomasNicole

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It’s worrying because most people seems to like the first movie

I'm not sure about "most", but I just checked and at least some authors of negative reactions hated the first one as well, but they still rushed to see this.

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Yeah, but they didn't have an invite to see every movie there, Joker screenings were sold out in 10 minutes, which means they rushed to buy a ticket to this specific movie.

Yes, because it’s a festival.

If i already have the credentials i would do the same for the biggest movie of the slate lol

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, because it’s a festival.

If i already have the credentials i would do the same for the biggest movie of the slate lol

Festival or not, they didn't have to rush to get a ticket to almost instantly sold out screening of a movie they are ready to hate beforehand, it's just dumb.

Edited by Firepower

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

To all who's worried about reviews, just take a look at Joker's top reviews on letterboxd, over 90% of them are extremely negative. It means pretty much nothing until it's released.

I hate the top review of Joker so much. 

• Like 2

It was probably gonna be divisive especially since unlike the first one it didnt go to all festivals like tiff and New York 

Idk about the 1 billion gross for now

From what I gather the movie is a critique of the first one, its fanbase and reaction to the first one's controversies, which might not sit well with fans of the first one. I'm not sure why it's a big problem, but we'll see, it sure sounds interesting.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Firepower said:

From what I gather the movie is a critique of the first one, its fanbase and reaction to the first one's controversies, which might not sit well with fans of the first one. I'm not sure why it's a big problem, but we'll see, it sure sounds interesting.

I did get that possible vibe from the trailer I watched. Surely that possibility was thought as likely?

Anyway, it sounds very interesting right now.

• Like 2

I have no trust in early reactions. We have 5 and a half hours left until reviews. Also. The first movie was heavily divisive as well and that didn’t stop it from having extraordinary legs and getting a ton of awards. So already talking box office from early reactions is premature to say the least.

Edited by James
  • Like 1