Eric is Quiet

Michael | April 18, 2025 | Michael Jackson biopic | Lionsgate | Graham King and the Jackson estate produce

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/3/8/michael-jackson-biopic-aggressively-tries-to-makes-the-singer-look-innocent

Puck’s Matt Belloni has read the script of Antoine Fuqua’s upcoming Michael Jackson biopic and he has some very bad news for folks who are expecting an even-handed portrayal of the later singer. It’s not happening.

Apparently, again, according to Belloni, the film will be “adulatory” towards Jackson and portray him as the victim of a conspiracy involving “greedy parents.”

It shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given that the film was approved by the Jackson family estate, but, apparently, the script “wants to very much convince you that Michael is innocent” and “goes to great lengths to minimize and downplay” the controversies.

In the film, scripted by John Logan, Jackson is the “actual victim,” Belloni says. At some point in the script, one of Jackson’s closest confidantes says “it’s not the kids I’m worried about, it’s the parents. He’s opening his doors to tons of people we don’t know and there’s a lot of greedy people out there.”

The takeaway from “Michael” is that Michael Jackson had an abusive father who caused him to become a horribly insecure yet harmless Peter Pan, constantly reliving the childhood he never had. And ultimately, that was weaponized by bad people trying to exploit him […] What’s interesting is how aggressive the script is in the pursuit to make Michael look innocent

Discourse around this movie is gonna be amazing.

Edited by Firepower
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Exactly what I was expecting..which is why I have little interest in this film.

Oh, I am not denying it might make a lot of money but not mine.

Yes, Michael's parents..his daddy in particular...deserve to get blasted, but letting Jackson off the hook for all his bad choices is more then I can stand.

Sad to see Fuqua sell out like that, though.

Edited by dudalb

39 minutes ago, Firepower said:

They said they were going to address the allegations and there you go...

The PR tour is going to be something but the (adult) actors all knew what they were signing up for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel like the potential trainwreck quality to this is actually a strong selling point for a lot of people tbh. The man's life really was just that strange and difficult to make a consistent movie out of. At least they aren't even pretending they are positioning this as an awards contender with that choice in release date.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

After all, this is produced by Graham King who hit the jackpot already with BoRhap so only way to mess this up financially would be making it boring.

I'm guessing they're adressing the allegations -on the surface- during the climax (akin to Freddy's solo career on BoRhap) only to end up with a concert or something like that on the ending. Maybe his Super Bowl performance but tbh I don't know about the timeline.

Edited by Carlangonz

On 3/12/2024 at 12:01 PM, ChipDerby said:

I said on twitter, but I think this is going to be very bad. And not in a Bohemian "crowds liked it" kind of way.

Uh maybe  the story of Michael Jackson simply has too much baggage to do a "whitewash" movie about? Yes, Freddy Mrecuty had some baggage, but not as much as Jackson does.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:27 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They said they were going to address the allegations and there you go...

The PR tour is going to be something but the (adult) actors all knew what they were signing up for. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the film is going to be the kind of whitewash (no joke intended) it is shapping up to be. the reporters are going to be merciless.

• Like 1