Screendaily:

Whodunnit Knives Out brought in $5.5m from 66 markets as the tally climbed to $125.8m, and worldwide reached $265.4m. After seven weekends, the all-star murder mystery has grossed $28.2m in China, $15.8m in UK, $8.7m in Australia, $7.4m in France, and $5.8m in Russia. It has taken $5.2m in Germany after two following an 11% drop. Japan will be the final market to open on January 31.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, Valonqar said:

can it get to 300M? Dom holds are good enough to take it there me thinks. Only 13M away. 

The way it keeps holding it might do $13m more just domestically. But it did a a $3.9m week O/S and has Japan next week so it should pass $300m with ease.

Edited by TalismanRing

So much talk for this being a hit, when it likely won't even reach Murder on the orient express (2017) WW.

Yes, it performed very well in USA, but it was quite disappointing OS, given the premise. It's an original movie, but it was heavily targeted in some markets as being an Agatha-Christie story: Italy, for example, had "Agatha Christie" both in the trailer and in the poster,

I wonder what went "wrong" internationally.... maybe the modern setting threw fan of the genre off, or maybe the cast was not "big" enough (yes, it had Craig, Evans and Curtis but MOTOE had Depp, Pfeiffer, Dench, Cruz, Dafoe and Branagh himeself...)

• Disbelief 1

25 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

So much talk for this being a hit, when it likely won't even reach Murder on the orient express (2017) WW.

Yes, it performed very well in USA, but it was quite disappointing OS, given the premise. It's an original movie, but it was heavily targeted in some markets as being an Agatha-Christie story: Italy, for example, had "Agatha Christie" both in the trailer and in the poster,

I wonder what went "wrong" internationally.... maybe the modern setting threw fan of the genre off, or maybe the cast was not "big" enough (yes, it had Craig, Evans and Curtis but MOTOE had Depp, Pfeiffer, Dench, Cruz, Dafoe and Branagh himeself...)

Murder on the orient express was distributed by 20th century fox, which had more international network and stronger marketing tool to advertise the film. Whereas KO was distributed by different local distributor that didn't advertise the film as aggressive as your "standard" international  distributor 

53 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

KO is a bone fide hit. It would have been a hit if it made $0 OS thanks to 40M budget. Also, as you said, it's an original while MOTOE had a built in audience. In the end, it'll make about 50M less than MOTOE give or take which is excellent for the new property. Its true test will be the sequel starring Craig as detective Blanc. 

Edited by Valonqar

Maybe just anecdotal, but I couldn't see this on theaters because it played for like 1 or 2 weeks without any significant promotion (which says a lot because I was looking forward to see it and didn't even know when it opened). 

Same thing happened with Hustlers (I did get to see on its last screening which I found out like 2 hours before it and luckily had the time) which is even more ironic since JLo is so big in Latin America.  

So distribution does play a big factor when it isn't one of the Big 5. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:58 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

Will do a bit over $300M WW-J. Very curious how Japan likes it, could be a big market.

Based on Corpse's weekend estimate, it looks like a bomb in Japan. Likely sub-$5 million unless it sprouts amazing legs.