The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Just now, Willowra said:

Female driven movie that's why, studios like to release female lead movies close to Thanksgiving.

No MCU movie is female-driven. Barbie is female-driven. Taylor Swift's concert is female-driven. Best case for MCU is 60/40 M/F split like the first Captain Marvel was.

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

This is why when people say "there's no way the movie can catch people up on Monica and Kamala" I don't get it. This took literally barely two minutes, and half of it was Carol!

Edit: in fact, looking more closely, this includes the scenes in the movie of them catching up!

Movie releasing a public service announcement before its release is not a positive.

4 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Movie releasing a public service announcement before its release is not a positive.

Yeah, movies never release promo before release.

Wait

Like seriously the fact that people have just decided this movie must be a bomb and critics will hate it is just super weird. It's been like this since before the first poster even dropped.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Yeah, movies never release promo before release.

Wait

Like seriously the fact that people have just decided this movie must be a bomb and critics will hate it is just super weird. It's been like this since before the first poster even dropped.

Do these people just crawl out of a hole or something. They are marketing the movie and the response is that is a bad sign. Okay. 

5 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Do these people just crawl out of a hole or something. They are marketing the movie and the response is that is a bad sign. Okay. 

They're acting like it's being left out to die when we saw WB do that with Blue Beetle and this marketing is absolutely nothing like it

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

The Taylor Swift concert film won't have any effect on this, positive or negative. Next.

Barbie was the reason why they pushed The Marvels to November. If they thought Barbie wouldn't affect it in August, they would've given it The Haunted Mansion's August 10th date, but they didn't because they knew Barbie's female-driven cultural phenomenon would hurt The Marvels even after 3 weeks. If Taylor's movie becomes a cultural phenomenon, then The Marvels could be affected by it.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Willowra said:

Barbie was the reason why they pushed The Marvels to November. If they thought Barbie wouldn't affect it in August, they would've given it The Haunted Mansion's August 10th date, but they didn't because they knew Barbie's female-driven cultural phenomenon would hurt The Marvels even after 3 weeks. If Taylor's movie becomes a cultural phenomenon, then The Marvels could be affected by it.

Ah, I see you are just making shit up now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Was Barbenheimer even a concept when they moved this to November in...I think February? I can't imagine they'd have anticipated it that far back 

I think the memes started immediately, but nobody saw exactly what was coming THAT early.  The Barbillion club was started 6/19 and the Barbie over $100m opening weekend was started 6/2.

Competition is definitely the ultimate reason for the move to November, but I don't think Barbie is specifically why. July as a whole was packed, between Mission Impossible, the aforementioned Barbie and Oppenheimer there was barely any breathing room. Marvel also needed something for November after Blade got derailed, so it was a fairly easy decision. Eras Tour will likely be pretty frontloaded and have simmered down by the time The Marvels opens, so I don't see much of a conflict there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Competition is definitely the ultimate reason for the move to November, but I don't think Barbie is specifically why. July as a whole was packed, between Mission Impossible, the aforementioned Barbie and Oppenheimer there was barely any breathing room. Marvel also needed something for November after Blade got derailed, so it was a fairly easy decision. Eras Tour will likely be pretty frontloaded and have simmered down by the time The Marvels opens, so I don't see much of a conflict there.

Plus the MCU is still largely male driven. Captain Marvel despite Brie being public enemy number one with the Incels still was 60-40 in favor of men. 

If Marvels had stayed on its original date it wouldn't have passed $350m WW. Also, it 100% would've opened in #2 behind Barbie. Would've quickly fallen far behind Oppenheimer too and be out of the top 5 in its 3rd weekend.

The new date isn't very good either but it's a huge improvement over the old one.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

43 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If Marvels had stayed on its original date it wouldn't have passed $350m WW. Also, it 100% would've opened in #2 behind Barbie. Would've quickly fallen far behind Oppenheimer too and be out of the top 5 in its 3rd weekend.

The new date isn't very good either but it's a huge improvement over the old one.

Just curious, do you pay for a blue check on twitter

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

46 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't know about sub 400, but I do agree it'd have been overshadowed.

• Like 3