Eric is Anxious

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Then why they're interested in Deadpool, spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor and other marvel projects? The reality is people care about big characters and they don't give shit about blue beetle & Shazam type irrelevant characters; Captain Marvel belongs to that category at present and so there is little to no interest in her movie.

We could go in detail for each of them but the main reason is that all of those movies (except DP3 obviously) came out prior to Ant Man 3, She Hulk and Secret Invasion which is where the conversation really took a turn for Marvel in the zeitgeist.

I think if Marvels came out when Thor 4 came out and Thor 4 came out today Marvels would be fine but Thor 4 would bomb. We'll never know though. I may be wrong but I feel a Thor 5 will be a huge drop from Thor 4 because of how bad that one was. 

9 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

We could go in detail for each of them but the main reason is that all of those movies (except DP3 obviously) came out prior to Ant Man 3, She Hulk and Secret Invasion which is where the conversation really took a turn for Marvel in the zeitgeist.

I think if Marvels came out when Thor 4 came out and Thor 4 came out today Marvels would be fine but Thor 4 would bomb. We'll never know though. I may be wrong but I feel a Thor 5 will be a huge drop from Thor 4 because of how bad that one was. 

I'm pretty sure that Cap4 will do twice or thrice of The Marvels. People are interested in CBM only if they think the character is a big character. Marvel studios itself gave impression to the public that Captain Marvel is an irrelevant character by removing her name from the title, why would audience give shit about such a character? 

Edited by Willowra

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I'm pretty sure that Cap4 will do twice or thrice of The Marvels. People are interested in CBM only if they think the character is a big character. Marvel studios itself gave impression to the public that Captain Marvel is an irrelevant character by removing her name from the title, why would audience give shit about such a character? 

Doubt it, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

52 minutes ago, Willowra said:

However, this Captain America is Sam. I'm not sure if audience really considers him as big character even if he has the Captain America title.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I agree on the title issue but…Captain America has not been recast, instead he’s the guy with the wings who as far as a I was last aware was not in fact a super hero (not sure if it changed).

To the public that makes him Captain America B rather than Captain America A.

21 minutes ago, Kon said:

However, this Captain America is Sam. I'm not sure if audience really considers him as big character even if he has the Captain America title.

I think the title captain america will definitely help this movie plus anti racism politics in US will help this movie & they can announce him as lead of Avengers movies by the time it releases.

9 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

WOM could defintely play a role, but pessimistically i'm thinking $330M ($55m/$150m/$330m)

Starting off slow is always a red flag for MCU films...Also Guardians had very strong late growth which I doubt The Marvels will replicate 

There is no way this is getting 3x legs.

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

There is no way this is getting 3x legs.

40-45m OW 90-100m DOM, OS would be even more lethal 70-80m. Total 160-180m. I predicted 270m-400m & said people don't give shit about Blue Beetles & Shazams & people on this forum said my prediction is ridiculous.

Edited by Willowra

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

You think Disney's going to shut down Marvel Studios? Soon?

I honestly wish they would do some stand alone projects, elseworlds if you will, and let directors experiment with their characters such as Blade or The Punisher like DC did with Joker and The Batman.

Edited by eddyxx

44 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I honestly wish they would do some stand alone projects, elseworlds if you will, 

Lol they did. Eternals, Moon Knight, Werewolf By Night, What If, X-Men 97, Freshman Year, the last two phases have been the ones with the most standalone projects out of any other so far! And then people instantly complained that there wasn't enough focus on "the next Endgame" and now people are mad there is too much!

Anyways, now that it seems the strike is going on till after this comes out, so it's gonna need reviews to help pick up the slack. I'm still optimistic that the movie itself will be good personally.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Willowra said:

50% of people didn't even watch the trailer. Title gave the impression that it is a tv show, plus people just tend to ignore the movie of a character which they hate or they think it's irrelevant, supporting character.

Where did you get that 50% figure from? The last trailer has more views than the last GotG trailer and not far off the one from Quantumania.

9 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Where did you get that 50% figure from? The last trailer has more views than the last GotG trailer and not far off the one from Quantumania.

The GOTG3 first trailer had 33m views on YouTube and had much higher views than the Marvels trailer on Instagram. Its second trailer had fewer views compared to the first because it was a Super Bowl TV spot, and it got 100m+ views there. The 50% figure is just my estimation. You can't deny that the trailer metrics of The Marvels were like a MCU TV show; it's trailer views were similar to those of She-Hulk, which got 70 million views in the first 24 hours

2 hours ago, Willowra said:

I think the title captain america will definitely help this movie plus anti racism politics in US will help this movie & they can announce him as lead of Avengers movies by the time it releases.

I guess Feige is all out of ideas if Sam Wilson is leading the Avengers.

15 minutes ago, Valencia said:

I guess Feige is all out of ideas if Sam Wilson is leading the Avengers.

He might be the lead of Avengers movies. Will he be the leader of Avengers too? I don't know. He is at the forefront of D+ Marvel banner & forefront of every official poster issued by Feige.

Edited by Willowra

I read rumors that thae ADR work for The Marves isn't really complete.

If this is true, I guess Disney/Marvel will just makes some cuts and release the movie to die.

Considering the apparent low box office, they wouldn't have much incentive to delay it (which would make the movie more expensive).

Edited by Kon

7 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

First of all, Young Avengers is a really bad idea, i really don't think that out of all the young people they've introduced, anyone has captured the public eye.

Also i don't know why would they put all her eggs in Ms Marvel character basket, is she that popular in Comics? 

And if they were so confident then why not give her a movie from the onset, giving a character on free Streaming is first step to tell audience that this character isn't that important.

I absoltuely agree that YA (ha!) is a terrible idea, not only because all of these young characters are bland af (most of them basically uninteresting versions of old favorites) but because new generations of viewers don't want hand-me-down heroes. They want their own heroes. That is why Star Wars still skews old since it was boomers thing, for example, and younger people are simply not taking to it in numbers that studios need, no matter how hard the studio tries to modernize the universe. It simply isn't something that new audience organically discovered and embraced. Same thing is happening with Millennials' fixture superhero movies. New generations want something that's their own, not something that they inherited from Millennials. 

As for Ms Marvel, I know next to nothing about her comic books but read in several places that they were cancelled and then renewed multiple times so not exactly an A list or even B list hero. Marvel used to turn F listers like GOTG into A listers. Used to. Not anymore and I don't think it's due to fatigue or whatever but that they were picking IPs that translated on the screen well despite dire comic book sales. Some things are simply more cinematic. I think that the biggest problem was and still remains D+ rush to fill the new streaming service with content. Hence greenlighting absolutely unnecessary stuff. Not every hero is born to headline a solo project be it a show or a movie and while Marvel was selective in that regard in the build-up to Endgame, they threw caution out of the window afterwards thansk to D+'s barren catalogue and started to greenlight anything. I mean, just because Agatha was a breakout in WV, did she really need her own show? I say no. Same goes for all those other shows save Loki and WV. The latter was an experimental artistic mini series so that worked, while the former was centered around one of the most popular characters (who's dead in movies). The rest? Big shrug. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I absoltuely agree that YA (ha!) is a terrible idea, not only because all of these young characters are bland af (most of them basically uninteresting versions of old favorites) but because new generations of viewers don't want hand-me-down heroes. They want their own heroes. That is why Star Wars still skews old since it was boomers thing, for example, and younger people are simply not taking to it in numbers that studios need, no matter how hard the studio tries to modernize the universe. It simply isn't something that new audience organically discovered and embraced. Same thing is happening with Millennials' fixture superhero movies. New generations want something that's their own, not something that they inherited from Millennials. 

As for Ms Marvel, I know next to nothing about her comic books but read in several places that they were cancelled and then renewed multiple times so not exactly an A list or even B list hero. Marvel used to turn F listers like GOTG into A listers. Used to. Not anymore and I don't think it's due to fatigue or whatever but that they were picking IPs that translated on the screen well despite dire comic book sales. Some things are simply more cinematic. I think that the biggest problem was and still remains D+ rush to fill the new streaming service with content. Hence greenlighting absolutely unnecessary stuff. Not every hero is born to headline a solo project be it a show or a movie and while Marvel was selective in that regard in the build-up to Endgame, they threw caution out of the window afterwards thansk to D+'s barren catalogue and started to greenlight anything. I mean, just because Agatha was a breakout in WV, did she really need her own show? I say no. Same goes for all those other shows save Loki and WV. The latter was an experimental artistic mini series so that worked, while the former was centered around one of the most popular characters (who's dead in movies). The rest? Big shrug. 

Captain Marvel comic has been cancelled and renewed multiple times too. In general, it is pretty difficult to mantain a solo in comics.

Still, comics are a pretty niche market, so the level of popularity in these wouldn't necessarily reflect mainstream popularity. For example: Iron Man wasn't an A-List character in comics (currently, he isn't an A-List regarding comic sales).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1