Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

If I had a word to describe these posters, It would be "uninspiring". No wonder it's getting no traction.  

They could've just emulated the Rocketeer poster and made exponentially better than this. 

The Rocketeer (film) - Wikipedia

Wow, they truly are some terrible posters when you collage them all like that. Truly some “we’re MCU, we don’t have to try at all” vibes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Valonqar said:

rumored Young Avengers, Avengers.

They were/are building this character sight unseen to be a big player.

First of all, Young Avengers is a really bad idea, i really don't think that out of all the young people they've introduced, anyone has captured the public eye.

Also i don't know why would they put all her eggs in Ms Marvel character basket, is she that popular in Comics? 

And if they were so confident then why not give her a movie from the onset, giving a character on free Streaming is first step to tell audience that this character isn't that important.

• Like 1

This is flopping hard like the Flash because:

1. A large number of MCU fans hate Captain Marvel. They can't stand this character either because of sexism or because of jealousy, as they are invested in pre-Infinity War characters like Doctor Strange, Wanda, Thor, Spider-Man, etc.

2. People don't care about supporting characters like Blue Beetle and Shazam. There is no perception among GA or even the hardcore fan base that Captain Marvel is a big character; they all consider her a supporting, irrelevent character.

3. The title change was a big mistake. If the title were Captain Marvel 2, at least it would have gotten support from some feminists who liked the first one very much, and it wouldn't have given the public the impression that Marvel has lost faith in this character.

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John Marston said:

They absolutely did say Carol would be the forefront of the entire MCU  during the promotion for Captain Marvel lmao 

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/news/captain-marvel-phase-four-kevin-feige/

Well they did a shitty job of it considering since her movie(4 years ago) she’s had a extended cameo in Endgame lol, and actual cameos in after credit scenes in Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel. Also does anyone think it’s been a horrible idea to not have any of the new characters cross over with each other in phase4. Kang Dynasty will have no time to set up a new team and we still don’t know who they are. 

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

Quite Frankly, I'm not sure any of your opinions, on the title changes, character irrelevancy, bad cameos, lack of screen times, would've matter if they put out some inspirational marketing material. If you watched the trailer, it appears to be a low stakes goofy action comedy. One in which Brie Larson is not the best fit for. In my opinion, it should've been Marvel's take on the original Top Gun and Superman. The name, Captain Marvel, should elude a sense of awe and wonder. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Well they did a shitty job of it considering since her movie(4 years ago) she’s had a extended cameo in Endgame lol, and actual cameos in after credit scenes in Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel. Also does anyone think it’s been a horrible idea to not have any of the new characters cross over with each other in phase4. Kang Dynasty will have no time to set up a new team land we still don’t know who they are. 

Avengers movies will be hard sell for them if she is Avengers leader like she is now in comics. And there is no indication from Marvel Studios that Spider-Man will lead the Avengers, and Doctor Strange is not even present on any official Marvel poster, whether it is a D+ Marvel banner or official posters issued by Kevin Feige.

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

Quite Frankly, I'm not sure any of your opinions, on the title changes, character irrelevancy, bad cameos, lack of screen times, would've matter if they put out some inspirational marketing material. If you watched the trailer, it appears to be a low stakes goofy action comedy. One in which Brie Larson is not the best fit for. In my opinion, it should've been Marvel's take on the original Top Gun and Superman. The name, Captain Marvel, should elude a sense of awe and wonder. 

50% of people didn't even watch the trailer. Title gave the impression that it is a tv show, plus people just tend to ignore the movie of a character which they hate or they think it's irrelevant, supporting character.

2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

50% of people didn't even watch the trailer. Title gave the impression that it is a tv show, plus people just tend to ignore the movie of a character which they hate or they think it's irrelevant, supporting character.

Nonsense. A good trailer and marketing campaign conquers all. 

4 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Nonsense. A good trailer and marketing campaign conquers all. 

Fact isn't nonsense. The fact is trailer metrics of the Marvels was like a MCU TV show. Even loki S02 trailer had more views than The Marvels trailer. 50% People just ignored it, didn't even watch it.

1 minute ago, Willowra said:

Fact isn't nonsense. The fact is trailer metrics of the Marvels was like a MCU TV show. Even loki S02 trailer had more views than The Marvels trailer. 50% People just ignored it, didn't even watch it.

They didn't watch it because it wasn't good enough to blow up on the internet. 

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

They didn't watch it because it wasn't good enough to blow up on the internet. 

People don't watch trailers if they aren't interested in them. This is what happened here. They weren't interested in Captain Marvel character or they thought The Marvels is a tv show. This is why DCU movie trailer views are generally lower than those of MCU movies because fewer people are interested in DCU movies.

Edited by Willowra

7 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly, unless something insane happens this is clearly opening with 70-ish at most. The first movie have an adjusted opening at +160M, so it’s kinda safe to say it’ll be a huge disappointment. Despite that, a movie this big hardly fail due to one reason alone. 

IMO, it’s probably a bunch of factors together:

- making people pay to watch something is harder than ever since pandemic; 

- MCU is very obviously in a troubled moment with a lot of uncertainty and too many lesser received projects in a row, which makes people more cynical and demanding towards them; 

- weirdos is sadly making their hate agenda against it for years now because they’re just a bunch of racists who hates women:

- the allegedly related projects for streaming like Ms Marvel kinda flopped; 

- women seems more interested in other types of representation about them with stories like Barbie;

- the genre itself is saturated and in the classic point where many genres ended up before: people still liked it but they’re not obsessed anymore to watch everything, so a few projects will succeed while a lot more will disappoint simply because general audiences doesn’t care that much anymore. 

The name can be a factor as well, but i would bet the reason for the awful presales is probably all above together + the bad timing of dropping sales in the Swift week.

I'm gonna have to disagree with some of your points here.

1. Is it harder? Yes, but COVID only accelerated the transition. This is only a problem when a movie bombs. Plenty of movies have done well since 2020

2. "Weirdos with hate agenda against it for years because they are a bunch of racist who hate women" seem like a copout for the subpar products Marvel has been putting out which in turn have made the audience lose faith on the brand which shows in the financials. The phrase you used doesn't make sense. Seems like you're just spouting stuff for the hell of it. Racist, bigots, misogynist all in a short sentence. Maybe the reason for the flops is because the products have sucked and have not resonating with people as you allude to on your point about women preferring something like Barbie.

3. Ms. Marvel did flop, at least from the viewership numbers that were rumored. I did like part of that show, but other parts were horrible and the VFX sucked

I will agree with the saturated market. I just looked it up and between Venomverse, DC, and Marvel we got in 2022 and in 2023. Probably tracking for a similar number in 2024. People will check out. I know I have and the SH CB fatigue is real to me. I will watch X-Men '97 and Deadpool 3 day 1. The rest maybe streaming at some point or maybe a 20 min summary on Youtube or Twitter. I feel like if Marvel is to turn it around then their BO #s for the foreseeable future (sans DP3) will probably have to be like the Phase 1/2 movies where it'll rely on WOM and have a bigger multiplier.

57 minutes ago, Willowra said:

This is flopping hard like the Flash because:

1. A large number of MCU fans hate Captain Marvel. They can't stand this character either because of sexism or because of jealousy, as they are invested in pre-Infinity War characters like Doctor Strange, Wanda, Thor, Spider-Man, etc.

2. People don't care about supporting characters like Blue Beetle and Shazam. There is no perception among GA or even the hardcore fan base that Captain Marvel is a big character; they all consider her a supporting, irrelevent character.

3. The title change was a big mistake. If the title were Captain Marvel 2, at least it would have gotten support from some feminists who liked the first one very much, and it wouldn't have given the public the impression that Marvel has lost faith in this character.

I think in this case apathy is the worst thing. Anecdotally in my circle of friends and friends it used to be non stop love and hype for Marvel to it sucks and I hate it to not even talking about it anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The GOAT said:

If the Marvels and Aquaman are bombing this bad, perhaps every superhero movie will bomb and fail for the next 2 years. 

Am not convinced. I don’t count GotG as a superhero film (it’s not) so I don’t include that but other films like The Batman have done very well.

I just think we had a boom in the 10s of the hero’s who would never get a big release in the decades before suddenly being super successful. Studios need to start being sensible, Marcels upcoming release schedule is pretty poor.

Why should a less successful MCU hinder Disney making new Iron Man or Captain America films without the asterisk that it’s not just a different actor but a different character.

Why are the D+ shows hindering franchises like Captain America breaking out?

Like there should be at minimum the below every 5 years but arguably 3/4 when they have a solid cast;

- Spiderman

- Batman

- Iron Man

- Captain America

- Wonder Woman

- X Men

- Doctor Strange (edited to add as I think he’s proven now)

- Superman (taking a new line as he just as a character isn’t proven as the above when it comes to film in recent decades)

Then from there do an odd mid budget film with all the other characters. It’s fucking crazy that in a comic and film world of ‘multi universes’ no one has just put all the characters in their own fucking world and had them cross over when they need to-

oh wait they did - Spiderverse and it works brilliantly to break things up. All that is happening right now is Marvel making idiotic decisions thinking their god king and everyone else is still chasing the ‘MCU’ success even as it shows it maybe has limitations to its appeal.

Edited by Sckathian

15 minutes ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I think in this case apathy is the worst thing. Anecdotally in my circle of friends and friends it used to be non stop love and hype for Marvel to it sucks and I hate it to not even talking about it anymore.

Then why they're interested in Deadpool, spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Thor and other marvel projects? The reality is people care about big characters and they don't give shit about blue beetle & Shazam type irrelevant characters; Captain Marvel belongs to that category at present and so there is little to no interest in her movie.