Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Which is weird because even if they didn't trust her popularity, the other two characters are even less popular.

In all honestly, I think this is a case of counting chickens before they hatched. I don't know what they expected from Monica but they had and still have massive expectations for Ms Marvel hence not only a solo show (where they didn't even want to put Carol in to help boost it) but announcement that she would be in movies even before the show started to shoot, connection with X Men, rumored Young Avengers, Avengers. They were/are building this character sight unseen to be a big player. So first of these projects, that they expected to kickstart her popularity, flopped hard. But they were already deep into filming TM when that happened to change anything. Heck, they even announced Ms Marvel S2 even though, considering D+ oversaturation, that show should be scrapped from their schedule and only proven success such as Loki kept as a multi-season show. They need to clean up the house and purge write-offs.  

My point is, when they decided to make CM 2 as a team movie, they expected at least one of those team mates to blow up by the time the movie was finished. And that simply didn't happen hence awkward trailers explaining who the fuck Monica and Kamala were and what they did on their shows.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

In all honestly, I think this is a case of counting chickens before they hatched. I don't know what they expected from Monica but they had and still have massive expectations for Ms Marvel hence not only a solo show (where they didn't even want to put Carol in to help boost it) but announcement that she would be in movies even before the show started to shoot, connection with X Men, rumored Young Avengers, Avengers. They were/are building this character sight unseen to be a big player. So first of these projects, that they expected to kickstart her popularity, flopped hard. But they were already deep into filming TM when that happened to change anything. Heck, they even announced Ms Marvel S2 even though, considering D+ oversaturation, that show should be scrapped from their schedule and only proven success such as Loki kept as a multi-season show. They need to clean up the house and purge write-offs.  

My point is, when they decided to make CM 2 as a team movie, they expected at least one of those team mates to blow up by the time the movie was finished. And that simply didn't happen hence awkward trailers explaining who the fuck Monica and Kamala are and what they did on their shows.

Exactly.

Monica was likely a complement, so the movie will have three heroines instead of two. However, they have big expectatives on Ms Marvel and expected her series to be a big success, which would helped the movie (unfortunately, Ms Marvel series failed).

When they announced The Marvels, Wandavision was already a big success, so it isn't so weird they have pretty high expectatives for Disney+ shows.

PS: Ironically, my favorite character of these three heroines is likely Monica.

Edited by Kon

Eh, I don't think the title/brand change had to do with doubt on Captain Marvel's appeal. Did they add the Wasp in the Ant-Man brand because they thought Ant-Man himself wasn't big enough? Hope hasn't been relevant since that second film. Guess it brought in more % of female audiences than the other ones, but still. I think it's a case of Marvel just relying on their overall brand power, across movies and deciding to be more comic booky and creative with titles and branding. They have even recently embraced different forms of titles, such as Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which are closer to comic book naming rather than big Hollywood blockbuster naming, a.k.a adding subtitles to sequels. Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion would be a whole other movie than the one they made here. They wanted to include these other women who have either been Captain Marvel in the comics before Carol was a thing (Monica) or were created in response to the character and to reclaim her old name (Kamala); they are all deeply connected in their comic history, so it makes sense to have them cross roads within the established Captain Marvel franchise. But The Marvels is a nerdy title. It's the type of title you give when you have the momentum that guarantess success. Now they find themselves in a position in which they could use the help of more marketable branding, a.k.a. generic Captain Marvel subtitle sequel.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

My point is, when they decided to make CM 2 as a team movie, they expected at least one of those team mates to blow up by the time the movie was finished. And that simply didn't happen hence awkward trailers explaining who the fuck Monica and Kamala were and what they did on their shows.

Ms Marvel is highly highly likely to be the only worthwhile thing about this movie. I don’t care if she failed to become popular, for once that’s not Disney’s fault. They gave her the only other worthwhile MCU show so far besides WV, the quality was there. It’s on the GA for snubbing her (could definitely get into the struggle for middle eastern ethnic people being able to break out in the west (esp since the show heavily featured the Muslim faith), but I’ll spare us).

Frankly, I wish the character was never saddled to such a subpar character and sub-franchise as Captain Marvel, since I maintain nobody loved the first CM movie or the character very much (hence why we’re seeing this massive plummet).  Even though I know she’s important to the origin of Ms Marvel, so I get it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

The title change is not the cause of any of this. The real reason it is unlikely to open to even 1/2 of Captain Marvel is because MCU hype has completely died. The overall interest in the overarching story arc is what propelled Captain Marvel past $1b. Now that interest is pretty much not there. Killed by Quantumania, but it was already waning before then.

Only some characters, like Guardians, Spider-Man, Deadpool, etc. have popularity that extends beyond the MCU as a whole, and thus they are unaffected by waning interest in the MCU as a whole. Captain Marvel doesn't, and never has had that.

• Like 1

Just axed plans for  dare devil born again , let all the writers go and according to Hollywood reporter they are going to change their TV structure too.

I'll  give Disney this . They are not as indecisive as DCEU under WB.  Shit hasn't been working as they expected and it's looks like we seeing clear consequences of that.

Marvels actually performs the way it's looking right now . Expecting more drastic changes.  

Shit luck for   the writers and technical crews of DD born again   , don't deserve that happening to them but it's the uncomprising  shitty world of business.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

18 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

What's your worldwide prediction?

WOM could defintely play a role, but pessimistically i'm thinking $330M ($55m/$150m/$330m)

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If you start really low, you can grow towards other comps at the end...

Starting off slow is always a red flag for MCU films...Also Guardians had very strong late growth which I doubt The Marvels will replicate 

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

$50m-$60m unless this has excellent late growth. Jat, Porthos, and inceptionzq numbers are dismal 

50m would be an unmitigated catastrophe. With the same legs as Wakanda Forever, it would pass 125m perhaps.

Unlike Wakanda Forever, this has 1 week of PLF vs 5 for that movie.

And is being released in a month which has 3 other blockbuster movies that are targeting female demo.

For Wakanda Forever, the next movie that opened $30m+ and was from a rival studio was M3GAN, released 8 weeks later.

Yikes. That would be a Flash-tier bomb.