Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

I do think, on the whole, this will be looked back on the same as Solo. Not permanently damaging the franchise forever, and not even necessarily the critical reception, but it's clear there is some disconnect from a "getting people to see it" standpoint they need to re evaluate. Unlike Star Wars however I don't think it'll suddenly be like everything gets cancelled (that's clearly just Lucasfilm specifically not being able to line things up to make a movie happen).

Edited by SpiderByte

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Solo at least had good start to its presales. I remember reading articles that its start was better than Black Panther 🙂 it just finished terribly. Early tracking had it open to 120m over 4 days or something like that. 

I mean in general reception, not the presales specifically.

3 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Solo at least had good start to its presales. I remember reading articles that its start was better than Black Panther 🙂 it just finished terribly.

Hi! Solo and Black Panther* tracker here. 👋

* Okay, BP was my first real track and I started it about half-way through, so I can't really comment on the beginning of BP.

That infamous article about it having better pre-sales start than BP over at, IIRC, Fandango is a classic example of "lies, damned lies, and... statistics."

What it didn't take into account was that BP was a pretty back loaded run and that SW historically was much more frontloaded than the MCU at the time.  Technically I do believe Solo had a better first 24 hours.  That's about all it had.

Sales limped for a while but wasn't catastrophically bad.  Then took a body hit when Cannes reviews filtered out (sound familiar?!?) and just limped to the finish line. 

Where it really fell apart was in the MTWTh leadup to opening night though as the GA mostly reacted with great indifference to the movie.

Sorry lost focus there for a bit.

Meanwhile, BP accelerated and accelerated and accelerated.  What looked to have a ceiling of something like 150m OW instead became a massive cultural behemoth.

Completely apples to oranges pre-sale runs even in the context of the MCU.

Edited by Porthos

I know. I just mentioned that nothing about opening day presales that told that it was going to be as bad as what happened to the movie. Lack of growth nuked it for sure. Back then SW was coming on back of Rogue One opening to 150m and grossing over 500m. I remember SW loonies saying 500m is floor for any SW movie :-)

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I know. I just mentioned that nothing about opening day presales that told that it was going to be as bad as what happened to the movie. Lack of growth nuked it for sure. Back then SW was coming on back of Rogue One opening to 150m and grossing over 500m. I remember SW loonies saying 500m is floor for any SW movie 🙂

SW loonies don't really understand the franchises popularity. For some reason they are just desperate to be seen as the new MCU, you see it constantly in discussions about audience viewership. Never makes sense to me, enjoy your stuff.

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

How much do you think Spidey 4 can do OW/DOM/WW if it's good?

If its good we're looking at 1.5bn imo - one of the strengths of No Way Home is introducing Holland Spiderman to people who never came back when it returned (outside of maybe Avengers appearance, which obviously misses a lot of characters).

5 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

SW loonies don't really understand the franchises popularity. For some reason they are just desperate to be seen as the new MCU, you see it constantly in discussions about audience viewership. Never makes sense to me, enjoy your stuff.

If its good we're looking at 1.5bn imo - one of the strengths of No Way Home is introducing Holland Spiderman to people who never came back when it returned (outside of maybe Avengers appearance, which obviously misses a lot of characters).

I don't see a normal solo Spider-Man film hitting $1.5b. . .that would mean like. . .600 million domestically? But anyway I'll stop talking about Spidey 4 on a "The Marvels" thread before a mod comes 🙃 🔫

Edited by HummingLemon496