Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

9 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Knock It Off

If the movie is bad I could see $800M, but $70M OW??? How would a poorly received MCU event film make so much less than a poorly received Antman film? There is no evidence to suggest Deadpool 3 will open like The Marvels, and lots of early data to suggest it will open big. 

MoM did partially ride off the coattails of NWH but that was far from the only reason it opened so big. They teased professor Xavier in the trailers and many fans thought their would be other big name cameos (X-men and others)

No I meant The Marvels is heading towards under 70m OW. 

People are not rushing out like they used to as shown by the pre sales of The Marvels and Guardian of the Galaxy 3.

Deadpool 3 needs to be well received to have a chance of 150m+ OW.

48 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No, no they aren't. Your insistence that she's now the leader of the Avengers is a thing you completely made up. There is no Avengers in the MCU currently! What would she be the leader of!

Except for CA and IM, have they ever called any other Avengers the leader before in any MCU movie? But they are calling her the leader. Also, Brie, in one promo for The Marvels, was saying that the movie is about her getting to understand what it means to be a leader. So after getting leadership lessons in The Marvels, she will now be a part of an Avengers team as a supporting player, Huh?

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

That promo does not refer to her as leader of the Avengers like you have repeatedly claimed. She is the leader of the titular team of this movie.

After taking leadership lessons in The Marvels, she will be part of the Avengers team as a supporting player and would take orders from someone else? like it or not, but her becoming leader of the Avengers is going to be a big contradiction in the MCU moving forward.

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

After taking leadership lessons in The Marvels, she will be part of the Avengers team as a supporting player and would take orders from someone else? like it or not, but her becoming leader of the Avengers is going to be a big contradiction in the MCU moving forward.

It won't be a contradiction. Because the only person who has said she's the lead of Kang Dynasty is you. The promos you are quoting do not refer to her as leader of the Avengers as you repeatedly have been claiming they do.

Edited by SpiderByte

3 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It won't be a contradiction. Because the only person who has said she's the lead of Kang Dynasty is you. The promos you are quoting do not refer to her as leader of the Avengers as you repeatedly have been claiming they do.

You & other mcu fanboys can only hope lol

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

As much as I hate that Jackman sold out and didn’t let Logan be his last wolverine outing it’s hard to deny that, from a purely cynical business POV, the timing feels right. No, x-men wasn’t the biggest franchise but it was a totem of the genre back when it ruled the zeitgeist, and unless the film is shit it’s hard not to see deadpool blowing up with Jackman aboard. 

It’s a series which each instalment makes just under 800M. It’s already blown up. When people talk about blowing up what do they actually mean here?

47 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It isn't. In the MCU, the Avengers do not currently exist. Carol is not the leader, because the team does not exist.

I haven't seen a mcu movie or tv show in a minute,  but don't they keep having characters ask why they don't call the avengers or some shit? Seems to imply there is an avengers to call in the first place. 

19 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

I haven't seen a mcu movie or tv show in a minute,  but don't they keep having characters ask why they don't call the avengers or some shit? Seems to imply there is an avengers to call in the first place. 

They don't...which is a really weird thing.  It seems that Disney decided Tony Stark's death, as the funder and leader of the Avengers from Civil War onward, would just kill the Avengers team...so it doesn't exist after its biggest win for the universe.  Just poof, like the blip.

23 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

2 billion

You can add Logan and DP2 together and they don’t reach this, and I am entirely ignoring the fact there is significant crossover between the two. Your talking about doubling the highest ever grossing R rated film and being in the top 5 highest grossing of all time because…Hugh Jackman is in it.

Logan made under 700M.

Days of Future Past under 800M.

DP1/2 under 800M.

But magically DP3 is hitting 2 bill. 

1 hour ago, boxoff53 said:

The individual Avengers are still around. The actual team, The Avengers, does not exist.

Huge MCU Fangirl here

I got to attend a super early screening of the Marvels and I can answer any questions you may have. I'll just say this, there's a reason that Disney is hiding the review embargo until the very last minute with this one. I wasn't crazy about movies like Eternals, Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania or Love and Thunder, but they were all better than the Marvels. Hell, even She Hulk and Hawkeye were better than the Marvels.

I don't know what they were thinking with this one, but there is literally 0 relevancy for this movie existing in the larger MCU and it does a poor job at pushing the characters forward and making them feel like a true team. I mean, they learn how to fight together but the overall plot and premise with the villain enacting her "evil plan" its just all very generic and middle-of-the-road. I was excited before it started, but by the time it was over i just had to ask myself "what was the point"? 

If I'm being generous its a 6/10 movie but im leaning more to a 5/10. This is their biggest miss yet

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 2

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

That true I seen medicore films get caught up in online culture wars get good reviews.

I have also seen medicore films get praise from people cause it agrees with their agenda as well vice versa. 

That's not true at all. Eternals didn't get good reviews and neither did A Wrinkle in Time. I acknowledge that some critics might be apologetic about those bad reviews, which I find silly, but they still give the films bad reviews when they don't like them. Ghostbusters 2016 getting barely passable reviews from a majority of critics was not some planned event just because people like you obsessively hate that film. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sckathian said:

You can add Logan and DP2 together and they don’t reach this, and I am entirely ignoring the fact there is significant crossover between the two. Your talking about doubling the highest ever grossing R rated film and being in the top 5 highest grossing of all time because…Hugh Jackman is in it.

Logan made under 700M.

Days of Future Past under 800M.

DP1/2 under 800M.

But magically DP3 is hitting 2 bill. 

This isn’t entirely painting a true picture. 

Spider-Man 1-2-3 all made under $900m

TSAM films never touched $800m 

yet NWH made $2B because it was the cumulative Spider-Man franchise’s coming together. 

$2B is obviously not happening for Deadpool, but using the old Fox X-men movies as measuring sticks is deceptive 

• Like 1

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

This isn’t entirely painting a true picture. 

Spider-Man 1-2-3 all made under $900m

TSAM films never touched $800m 

yet NWH made $2B because it was the cumulative Spider-Man franchise’s coming together. 

$2B is obviously not happening for Deadpool, but using the old Fox X-men movies as measuring sticks is deceptive 

Deadpool 3 should be happy with $1B. I guess some fanboys wouldn't be satisfied with that?

When did reaching $1B become less special?

Only 1 did it 2021, 3 in 2022, and 2 in 2023. It's become much more rare after covid.